Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Split charging relay question

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
There is a relay under the passenger seat that is energised when the engine is running, connecting the starter battery to the leissure battery/s so they are charged whilst the engine runs.

In my solar charger instructions specifically for the WRM15 dual battery charger I advise connecting to the right terminal of the relay, which is normally starter battery live (permanent). No isses until now.

One customer found the wire on the right to only become live when the engine is running, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think how the relay is supposed to work. (image below of the relay and the terminal circled).

Has anyone else found this to be the case? The only thing I can think is another relay has been added elsewhere, before this relay?

47295019362_eb91b055e6_z.jpg

My customer found another SB live near by and very helpfully sent me the photos , so there is an easy solution, but I'd like to know if this is a one off, or VW changed something! The way split charging relays work it makes no sense at all!

That suggests to me that they have blown the 100A supply fuse in the E box under the battery.

Aha - that makes sense - tell me more about the 100A fuse and the "E" box?

Is there some kind of fuse box under the battery when you lift it out?

The 80A fuse is next to (After) the relay the 100A fuse is on the other end of the supply to that relay and is here; Third from the left. I replaced one for a member with the same issue.
IMG_0737.jpeg

Cheers, what's the location of the box pictured above?

So you are saying there is a 80 Fuse near the relay? sitting between the relay and the SB , and there is then the 100A fuse, again, between the relay and the SB, but in the box above?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't know much under the bonnet as I never go thhere.

You have to remove the battery then undo the screws for the cover below.

Its the 100A fuse circled here.
Battery_Fuse_SA3.png
That 100A fuse is in the box labled main fuses in this drawing.
Camper_Electrics_Ocean.png

Nice one, thanks!

So the fuse box you have pictured is under the starter battery, and that's where the 100amp fuse is. Got it.

The 80 amp fuse comes off the relay under the passanger seat and should just be a simple case of following the wire to find it.

You are a star. Thanks! p.s. what software adds the nice speech bubbles / labels.

I read the whole story.
I have probably the same issue with the relay.
My cali ocean is from 2016 I found the most fuses, but where is the 80 en 100amp fuse for my ocean. When the 220 is connected it is showed in the display but the battery does not charge.foto 1 foto 2 while running the motor foto 3 motor is put down, after 1 day battery is 10 for only cooling the fridge

57B98E64-4ADA-42E5-BD64-71C5279E1196.jpeg

69995742-D3FC-4A92-AAA6-658AC0421B39.jpeg

AFEB1038-4CD7-4A75-8392-AFC5EDCC55A4.jpeg

Those fuses are for the generator and from your pictures they are all good As the generator (alternator) is charging fine.
so your problem is the mains charger. The control panel can see the mains but there is no charge, so check the green 30a fuse under the left seat.

View attachment 42218
View attachment 42219

View attachment 42218
View attachment 42219
This lower diagram doesn’t relate to the wiring diagram above. The 100A fuse is fed from the alternator not the 80A fuse.

150C9DC8-8653-49BC-B0FB-AFFBBAA23ECE.jpeg

Those fuses are for the generator and from your pictures they are all good As the generator (alternator) is charging fine.
so your problem is the mains charger. The control panel can see the mains but there is no charge, so check the green 30a fuse under the left seat.
I have checked that it is oke

This lower diagram doesn’t relate to the wiring diagram above. The 100A fuse is fed from the alternator not the 80A fuse.

View attachment 61656
I know what you mean but that particular diagram is misleading as its for the Transporter with one additional batter and they they are treating battery(1) in the diagramed as the starter battery and all the leisure stuff beyond the 100a fuse in the Main Fuses, which then feeds the split charge relay and why I drew that picture to better explain it after I checked out the wiring properly for myself.
we are now discussing a new issue raised yesterday By @Richiebrouwer who has good alternator charging So we can rule out the 100a & 80a & relay As all good.

Last edited:
I know what you mean but that particular diagram is misleading as its for the Transporter with one additional batter and they they are treating battery(1) in the diagramed as the starter battery and all the leisure stuff beyond the 100a fuse in the Main Fuses, which then feeds the split charge relay and why I drew that picture to better explain it after I checked out the wiring properly for myself.
we are now discussing a new issue raised yesterday By @Richiebrouwer who has good alternator charging So we can rule out the 100a & 80a & relay As all good.
I must admit I read the OP but couldn’t quite understand what the issue was/is. Usually these things are just user error!

This would mean that the current which charges the second leisure battery does not pass through the split charge relay ???
Hello i went in Koblenz to the dealer for California, and the specific person for the cali has done the check.
You are correct the 220v gets to the loading unit but there is no output.
So when i am home i have to build out the unit above the battery and check the fuses.
THANKS for the assistance, i will let you know after the 5 of juli

Hello i went in Koblenz to the dealer for California, and the specific person for the cali has done the check.
You are correct the 220v gets to the loading unit but there is no output.
So when i am home i have to build out the unit above the battery and check the fuses.
THANKS for the assistance, i will let you know after the 5 of juli
He said the only 12volt coming out

I’ll get my red pen out later a check it

Reactions: Loz
I must admit I read the OP but couldn’t quite understand what the issue was/is.
I am home early, so I started checking the battery in the back, the is a fuse on the +pole from 75A thats oke i build out the charge unit.
No fuse found there.E7D3074F-9D5A-41F9-BD49-DABB6EEA5FC9.jpegBC27C052-6F49-4F7D-8FED-201339A83E3C.jpeg6A7BC90E-9ED0-4C8A-9EDB-C2EC4CAA459D.jpeg
I found a fuse next to the plug from 220V
image.jpg
150 volt fuse, its oke. for now nothing found whats u/s. I have no technical back ground.
What’s the next step, the 2 battery under the left seat or the battery in the motor compartment?

Back