Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sporting Events in the Cali

sensisuperstar

sensisuperstar

Wibble
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Sat trying to watch the football and it got me wondering if anyone was going to be bold enough to drive to Russia later this year to watch the World Cup...

...Personally I’m more of a cycling fan, so when we finally get our van we plan to catch the classics in Belgium. Eventually we will follow the grand tours when the kids are a bit older...so what sporting events have others done to whet my appetite?

now that would be brave. I think those aerial ultras will beat you up. and yes. I have been to Russia. I would not go for the cup

Sat trying to watch the football and it got me wondering if anyone was going to be bold enough to drive to Russia later this year to watch the World Cup...

...Personally I’m more of a cycling fan, so when we finally get our van we plan to catch the classics in Belgium. Eventually we will follow the grand tours when the kids are a bit older...so what sporting events have others done to whet my appetite?
I'm enjoying watching the Cycling on Eurosport and I'm a keen Roas cyclist but I do wonder if it's worth being there when they'll whizz by once and that's it ! I'm guessing there's more to gain than just that but never been to a race.
I'm sure I'd go see a race if I was near a route anyway but unsure about the race being the purpose unless I'm missing something

I'm enjoying watching the Cycling on Eurosport and I'm a keen Roas cyclist but I do wonder if it's worth being there when they'll whizz by once and that's it ! I'm guessing there's more to gain than just that but never been to a race.
I'm sure I'd go see a race if I was near a route anyway but unsure about the race being the purpose unless I'm missing something
I’ve watched quite a few different types of race, but generally I find criterium (circuit) racing the best to watch. Flat stage races tend to be the worst, as the riders are gone in seconds. Having said that we watch the Tour of Yorkshire each year and we tend to pick a stage where we can make a day of it, such as Grosmont a few years back.

Also, if you are a keen cyclist you can generally ride on the route a few hours before the leaders come through. I rode up Holme Moss the day the Tour came through Holmfirth and got cheered all the way *I dare not stop*, it was quite a thrill. I then found a comfortable vantage spot and waited a good two or three hours for the pros to come up the hill. It was quite an event, with the tour caravan blasting out music, the big screen showing the race and then the riders blasting up the hill...I’ll bet that’s even more fun in the Alps...with a cold beer :)

You wil find some members in theire Cali's in Silverstone during the F1 round .

An F1 race is on my: ‘things I want to do with Cali’ list. Probably not Silverstone though, maybe Spa or Barcelona.

www.campingf1.com keeps popping up on my Facebook feed. I know some folks who have done it and say it’s a great atmosphere.

An F1 race is on my: ‘things I want to do with Cali’ list. Probably not Silverstone though, maybe Spa or Barcelona.

www.campingf1.com keeps popping up on my Facebook feed. I know some folks who have done it and say it’s a great atmosphere.

Been to Spa sevral times lost count ...years ago in a tent , never in my Cali ...now i own a Cali there's no money left for F1 tickets:D
Been 3x to Monaco and Magny-Cours (the last race held there , now Paul Ricard is back on the calender might concider it )
I sat in front of the TV just thismorning watching qualifying in Austalia , the only sport i follow the whole year round is F1 for 20y now.

@briwy , does visit Moto GP in his Cali , just to add to the list.

My Main Cali trip this year is leave Portugal in mid June and then make my way to Paul Ricard Circuit for the French GP, then onto Assen for the MotoGP the following weekend. Le Mans Classic the following weekend & then we take the Dieppe to Newhaven ferry.

In August the WEC at Silverstone & ‘Run for the Hills’ Morgan events at Malvern & Prescott.

Driving in Russia appears to be a very risky task if any of the many you-tube videos are to be believed :shocked

I’ve watched quite a few different types of race, but generally I find criterium (circuit) racing the best to watch. Flat stage races tend to be the worst, as the riders are gone in seconds. Having said that we watch the Tour of Yorkshire each year and we tend to pick a stage where we can make a day of it, such as Grosmont a few years back.

Also, if you are a keen cyclist you can generally ride on the route a few hours before the leaders come through. I rode up Holme Moss the day the Tour came through Holmfirth and got cheered all the way *I dare not stop*, it was quite a thrill. I then found a comfortable vantage spot and waited a good two or three hours for the pros to come up the hill. It was quite an event, with the tour caravan blasting out music, the big screen showing the race and then the riders blasting up the hill...I’ll bet that’s even more fun in the Alps...with a cold beer :)
There you go then , you've already made it seem a much more appealing day out - could well be something my cyclist son and myself do.
I assume the places that have screens to watch the rest of the race are well advertised ?

There you go then , you've already made it seem a much more appealing day out - could well be something my cyclist son and myself do.
I assume the places that have screens to watch the rest of the race are well advertised ?
Good stuff, you’ll both really enjoy the unique experience of cycling the route before the pro riders pass through.

In regard to the screens, from what I’ve seen the Tour of Yorkshire & Tour of Britain tends to have big screens at the start and finish towns. I think the Tour de France has screens at popular points on the route too, but I’ve only ever experienced it in the U.K. Worth checking out the website and route maps for local information.

When I go to watch a race I will have an iPad with a good data package so I can watch the race on Eurosport or local TV. I use Three mobile at the moment and roaming is free as is tethering, so ideal to watch internet tv.

Going to use the Cali on a trip to Brittany this year which is planned to also take in a few stages of the TdF. This will include the team Time trial stage.so although they will be past in a flash at least there will be 20 flashes. Time trials in general are good spectator stages. With there TdF the roads are often closed (to traffic) hours before the race comes through but there is a great atmosphere. About an hour before he race the publicity caravan will come through and you can join the scramble to catch the plastic tat that gets thrown by the sponsors.
Also used the Cali a few years back when a group of us went to ride Amstel Gold (the sportive version) and then watch the pro race the next day. The Cali has also been the base for various triathlons (inc Austria) and running races.

Moto GP. Much more entertaining and better value than F1.
Don't camp at the circuits though unless you like noise. LOTS of it.
Watched the Tour in the Pyrenees a couple of years ago. The procession before the race is just a good as watching the actual riders.

Watched tour halfway up Mt Ventoux
Iconic! (2009 perhaps, the year Alberto Contador won overall).

Did you drive up or park at the bottom and walk/ride up? Often they can close mountain top finish stage roads a day prior - particularly if the places to park are all taken. I'd like to give to try and see some TdF stages at some point, but it maybe worth a try out of the logistics first (on a smaller scale) at the Tour of Britain.

The cluster of stages near to the 2018 Tour de France Grand Depart and then on into Brittany looks perfect for camper van based spectating. Anyone going?

The cluster of stages near to the 2018 Tour de France Grand Depart and then on into Brittany looks perfect for camper van based spectating. Anyone going?

Yes I am :). As part of a general cycling and kayaking holiday. Site booked near the Quiberon peninsula which we will use as a base for trips out to see a few of the stages.

Iconic! (2009 perhaps, the year Alberto Contador won overall).

Did you drive up or park at the bottom and walk/ride up? Often they can close mountain top finish stage roads a day prior - particularly if the places to park are all taken. I'd like to give to try and see some TdF stages at some point, but it maybe worth a try out of the logistics first (on a smaller scale) at the Tour of Britain.

We went halfway up just before chateau Renault? joined up with some Germans who had brought their own bar and toilet facilities in big MoHo.
We got there 2 days before the stage and still found it difficult to park

We got there 2 days before the stage and still found it difficult to park
Well worth the effort with some good planning and plenty of patience. Sounds like you did the right thing by finding some well prepared Germans.
I rode the Tour route several years back - 5 days ahead of the pros, we saw plenty of motor homes already parked up on many of the mountain stages, Ready and waiting with all sorts of fan club paraphernalia - seasoned Tour fans.
Yes I am :).
Enjoy - do tell us how you get on.

Great sports event vehicle. Caught TDF a few times, F1.... Barcelona next month, and our own oddity dog mushing races in the winter. Base away from home, only drawback is losing mobility of vehicle in big campsites as don’t want to lose spot.... drive away awning can help sometimes

Not quite a sporting event but just booked up to go to RIAT to celebrate 100 years of the Royal Air Force. Making a weekend of it camping in the Cotswolds; will report back the experience.

Back