Do you (choose all answers that apply):

• Total voters
Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Whether munching whilst travelling, chillaxing at the van, out for a picnic or just in a pack-up, what spreads, pastes & pates do you like?

What’s your favourite(s)?
Where do you buy them?
Where/how do you store them in the Cali/awning?
What do you spread them on?
What do you compliment them with?

If you make your own (before travelling or whilst away) you could share your recipes in this thread too.

Whether munching whilst travelling, chillaxing at the van, out for a picnic or just in a pack-up, what spreads, pastes & pates do you like?

What’s your favourite(s)?
Where do you buy them?
Where/how do you store them in the Cali/awning?
What do you spread them on?
What do you compliment them with?

If you make your own (before travelling or whilst away) you could share your recipes in this thread too.
Although a sucker for a good version of any of these, my absolute favourite would be a roughly textured farmhouse pate. Pork and mushroom are essential ingredients for consumate yumminess.

I like it on: thin crackers; toast, sometimes a bit of a challenge off grid, from stale artisan or home made bread; or in a sandwich with cucumber. But best of all I love “knicking/sneaking” chunks of it from the fridge and eating it off the knife, “nude”.

Don’t make it myself as I love it so much as a treat, usually when we’re away.

Last edited:
Flavoured Butters from Paul Hollywood

Watercress and Horseradish:
  • 125g unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 1-2 teaspoons freshly grated horseradish or 3-4 teaspoons creamed horseradish
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped watercress leaves (no stems)
  • Pinch of salt (unless you only had salted butter to start with)
Lime, Chilli and Corriander:
  • 125g unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
  • Finely grated zest of 1 lime
  • 2.5 tablespoons chopped Corriander leaves
  • Pinch of salt (unless you only had salted butter to start with
Method for both: Mix ingredients together and leave for at least 1 hour to infuse the flavours.

Ways to use the butter:
  • toast angled slices of baguette (or any bread sliced) on both sides); spread with butter; thin slice of mozzarella on top; grind some pepper on top of that: grill until the cheese starts to melt.
  • Could be cooked in a Ridgemonkey, barbecue or a camping toaster accessory for the stove. If you can only toast from the bottom you could use a blowtorch to melt the cheese.
Or
  • slice a baguette (straight down, but not all the way to the bottom); spread the butter between the slices; wrap in foil and bake (like a garlic bread).
  • This would be great on a Cobb or other bbq that has a lid and could be used as an oven, a camping oven, Dutch oven, MattBWs stove top oven, etc.
Or
  • Melt the butter in a pan, add a little olive oil and fry the bread in it.
I saw a recent post on Facebook where slices of sweet potato were toasted like slices of bread, to be topped. Hmm, never tried that, but it’s on the to do list now.

Last edited: