Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Squeaky brakes, is it normal for first few miles ?

hubert72

hubert72

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Done around 350 miles since picking up and now the brakes are making a light squeak when slowing down, is this normal and just because it's new or should I be getting it checked out ?
Any advice would be appreciated.

I had this a few years back and the dealer tried various things to stop it none of which worked (I think there is something they can spray on the discs) they ended up fitting a new set of pads to the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting I've noticed this too. Put it down to the wet weather and not using the van every day. I'll have to keep an eye on this (ear obviously!).

Hubert, can you let us know if you go back to the dealer about this and what they have to say. I'll do likewise.

It can happen whilst the brakes are bedding in, however the salt on the roads, won't be helping at the moment. I would put a phone call into the dealer, just to let them know, and they will advise on what to do, which I would think would be let them do 1000 miles, then re-check. Alternatively, you can give the brakes a good clean up, with some higher speed harding braking - Obviously on a dual carriage way with clear roads behind you :thumb

Thanks for the replies, will give it few more miles and try some hard braking too, will also see what the dealer says on Monday, will post reply by dealer.

Just hit the 1000 mile mark and brakes are still noisy, rang local vw and explained the problem, told them I had previously reported it and was told by dealer to leave it till I hit 1000 miles, strangely they didn't just book it in, they asked me to call in so one of their service guys could come on a test drive and listen for the noise (felt as though I was making it up). Drove the garage, waited for a mechanic to come free, he got in the van and asked me to show him when it makes a noise, I drove forward about 5 metres and braked so he could hear it, he just acknowledged that yes something isn't right and I should book it in as a warranty fault ??? It's now booked in for Thursday. Seems a long winded way to resolve an obvious warranty claim. Interestingly the lady who booked it in told me vw only cover brake pads for 6000 miles.

I had squeaky brakes but solved it by pouring oil over them :shocked

Sorry...

I'll get my coat ..

Seriously, yes, it is a warranty claim.

Just picked up from dealer, been told that nothing was untoward but they have stripped and cleaned front left brakes, will see if it is cured over next few days. They also washed the van and hoovered inside which was nice.

My new T6 has had terrible squeaking from front brakes since I picked it up 4000 miles ago. It's driving me potty. They replaced discs and pads but it's still doing it. Booked in next week. Also had DAB radio aerial, fuel gauge and paint issues. Not impressed at all

My new T6 has had terrible squeaking from front brakes since I picked it up 4000 miles ago. It's driving me potty. They replaced discs and pads but it's still doing it. Booked in next week. Also had DAB radio aerial, fuel gauge and paint issues. Not impressed at all
Can you tell me where you bought this van from. We had the same issues? Have you got it sorted? We've been back in 5 times now and apparently they can't hear it.

Take it out and run it up to V max then stand on the middle pedal. Repeat.

That'll bed them in.

Take it out and run it up to V max then stand on the middle pedal. Repeat.

That'll bed them in.

Only got two pedals ...
...i will try stepping on both at the same time ...:D
Squeeekkk

top tip for all brake squealing issues. remove the pads and if they aren't worn much put some copper slip on the back of the pads where the contact surfaces are on the caliper and brake cylinder. it's vibration causing the squeal. this stops it. most good mechanics would do this when changing pads on anything. clean any excess copper slip thoroughly off the disc

Regarding the use of copper slip... I have read that placing copper next to aluminum could result in a galvanic corrosion reaction. Better to use a ceramic-based product instead. Full disclosure: I have not tried either of these myself, but I am currently researching how to fix squeaky brakes.

Brand new Beach, front left brake started squealing after a few hundred kilometers. Dealer told us that this is a not-uncommon problem with the California. VW service resurfaced front disc pads, and initially that resolved the problem, but it has returned.

Next level of VW service, scheduled for tomorrow, is to replace the front pads with a different type of pad. Hopefully the braking performance will not be reduced; rather have noisy but higher performance braking.

~Dru

Between the brake pads and the piston, where is the aluminium!

Between the brake pads and the piston, where is the aluminium! Agree with this - it's steel on steel - copper slip is fine here.

I also use it on the hub to prevent the wheel from seizing on - never had any issues when I've used copper slip here either. I have known wheels to seize on the hub when it hasn't been used, like some sort of an alloy/steel reaction. Not what you want sat on the roadside with the van balanced on the factory jack!

Back