Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stalling at idle AAF 2.5 petrol engine

en2rafg

en2rafg

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi,

We've just driven to the port to catch the ferry home and the van started running lumpy at idle then stalling. It will restart fine, but will die again unless the revs are kept up. Does anyone have any ideas? O think we can get it off the boat, but not sure if I should drive the 60 miles home or call out the breakdown services.

It hasn't done this before, but had/has issues with the emissions being high in the MOT. From what I've been reading I'm thinking the MAF in the ECU could be perished and not reading correctly, but I'm not an expert in this.

It's a 2.5 litre petrol AAF engine in a 1993 California Coach.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Probably not related as on Fords but when I had similar problems it was the anti-dieseling valves. One was built into the Carb to shut fuel off - sticking plunger- the other was a separate air valve that let air to the manifold when power off -didn't seal/close properly and let air in weakening the air/fuel at idle..
Pre fuel injection issue.

Could even be Brake Servo vaccum pipe perished.

Hi,

We've just driven to the port to catch the ferry home and the van started running lumpy at idle then stalling. It will restart fine, but will die again unless the revs are kept up. Does anyone have any ideas? O think we can get it off the boat, but not sure if I should drive the 60 miles home or call out the breakdown services.

It hasn't done this before, but had/has issues with the emissions being high in the MOT. From what I've been reading I'm thinking the MAF in the ECU could be perished and not reading correctly, but I'm not an expert in this.

It's a 2.5 litre petrol AAF engine in a 1993 California Coach.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

The Ferry staff will tow you off the boat if you can't restart, when we had issues with our T2 they were very helpful. Just try not to stall on one of the upward ramps on the way on/off the boat. Explain you have an issue and they will put you in a good spot.

Call the breakdown services when you get off the ferry to avoid any damage.

Thanks for the advice. The van started, but had to keep revs on at idle to stop it stalling. After several.stalling events at junctions, it suddenly started behaving again. Not sure what is up, am tempted to change the ECU anyway due to emissions issues.

Common reasons for a petrol engine to stall: places to investigate;
empty / low fuel tank, (presumably not?)
water in fuel or dirty fuel (including fuel filter)
faulty fuel pump,
Fuel leak,
Air intake restriction such as dirty filter
Bad ignition coil,
Spark plus worn / fouled
HT lead failure
Vacuum system leak
failing sensor. Various possible

personally I would start with a basic service, filters (air and fuel) plugs etc and carry out some basic maintenance checks to air intake hoses / system and fuel lines etc to see if anything obvious and see if the problem is rectified by changing the plugs and filters or by noting a degraded tube etc, (replacing any suspect hoses) if that fails to rectify move onto ignition system, finally having the sensors & fuel pump checked if the problem persist.

Thanks for the advice. I changed vacuum hoses, but that didn't make any difference. After that I removed and replaced the MAP in the ECU and that made a big difference. No backfiring anymore and hopefully this has fixed the overfuelling issue I've had. I haven't had the emissions checked yet, but it is definitely a lot less fumey than before. Idle is still a little erratic at times, but I'm replacing the Idle stabilisation valve next week to see if that helps.

Back