Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Standard audio system.

Lukem

Lukem

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Morning,

What does everyone think of the standard speakers in the t6 California? My 54 plate t5 van speakers are actually quite good and I was wondering if vw still fitted decent speakers on the standard option.
Thanks.

I've not seen many threads on here about owners who have changed their speakers so I'd have thought they were fine for most people.
I couldn't tell any difference on my recently sold T6 Transporter to my T5 or T5.1 (not a Cali I know but I can't imagine them putting worse speakers in them)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've not seen many threads on here about owners who have changed their speakers so I'd have thought they were fine for most people.
I couldn't tell any difference on my recently sold T6 Transporter to my T5 or T5.1 (not a Cali I know but I can't imagine them putting worse speakers in them)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the dynaudio option but I've heard it's not as great as the £1300 price tag suggests it should be! I like my music so I want it to be decent.

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the dynaudio option but I've heard it's not as great as the £1300 price tag suggests it should be! I like my music so I want it to be decent.
Having used a hire vehicle for a long weekend and having found the standard stereo system to be rather poor, when we ordered our own Ocean we opted for the Dynaudio system. It is very much better. But whether it's £1300 worth better is difficult to judge. But I think I prefer the option of a factory fit Dynaudio to some possibly cheaper aftermarket solution.

Sent from my VW California

hmm, another tough decision! The trouble is this is going to be a vehicle I keep for a very long time so I want it to be right but my budget is limited. The age old problem, I suppose. Thanks.

for me the standard T6 audio system is fine and as in turns off after 1/2 an hour or so to save the main battery we decided to just get a decent small dab radio system to use while camping

Been happily surprised how good the standard set up on my Beach is (only 6 speakers to the Ocean's 8). Still thinking of getting an upgraded amp/sub/speaker set up from Absolut 5 though. In my experience paid for audio upgrades are hit and miss. Can't comment on the Ocean Dynaudio option but I would paying attention to what others are saying about it before dropping £1k plus on it.

It's a lot of money to spend on a sound system in my view. I was concerned that vw might have put scrimped on the standard ones so it's good to hear you think they're ok. I'm always amazed at how good my old t5 speakers sound and that was just a van!

One note of caution. If you like bass, the door speakers rattle if you go too deep on certain tracks. I suspect even some decent damping material would help there without even upgrading the speakers.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the speakers, as I was on my 'velle. (shame about the H4 lights but that's another story). It's not something I'd bother to upgrade if speccing again. I have a HK system in another car and I can't help but think it's a bit pointless.

Our ocean came with dynaudio (ex demo) I can’t comment on how it compares but you do lose the handy storage bit on the top of the dash! It still echoes a bit because of the open space. But you can hear more definition in the songs.

I personally can find nothing wrong with the standard system compared with the upgraded on the T5 or the T6.
It is a glass and metal box that can travel at 130kph , with passengers sat next to one or more speakers rather than in the centre of the sound stage.
Next, the music files played nowadays are computer generated digital sound files that lose quality on conversion and then often received at the head unit via a FM or Digital Broadcasting system.
It is extremely rare to have a Symphony Orchestra playing at Wembley Stadium or Black Sabbath playing at the Albert Hall.
So, if you have a wide ranging love of music then listening in a 5x2x2m box trundling along modern roads at high speed just isn't going to do it.
I think if you want that quality on the move then a system that uses high definition headphones to the listener as the final pathway is the best way forward.
Or just have a good system at home and go to live concerts .
Audio in a Campervan has to be a compromise, and don't forget high decibels when young means low decibels when older.
Anyway, the system switches OFF after 20 minutes when parked up, so probably better to spend on a good system to use when camping.
Just my personal thoughts.

I've been looking at the dynaudio

do not know but I thought I read somewhere that the dynaaudi oopion replaces the dashboard top storage on the T6 with a speaker anyone confirm this

Thanks Lukem. find that box so useful . I would not want to loose it.
Yes it does. A bit of a waste of useful storage really.

I've looked into it a fair bit before ordering and concluded that dynaudio wasn't worth the money. The simplest option that I'm going to look into is from Skipton Caraudio who offer some simple plug and play replacement speakers for the standard vw ones and apparently make a big difference for about £170 and if you want to go further and add a sub then they do that for about £250. So all seems pretty reasonable. Alternatively lots of car audio companies will easily give you £1400 worth of upgrade which people assure us is far better than the dynaudio (and you keep the central storage too!)

Back