Starter battery upgrade

Tompoole

Tompoole

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi peeps.
My 2 year old Cali has a 68amp
680cca vitara that just isn’t upto the job .
What upgraded starter battery do people upgrade too?
I’m looking at least 80amp 800cca ... let me know
Cheers
T

Hi peeps.
My 2 year old Cali has a 68amp
680cca vitara that just isn’t upto the job .
What upgraded starter battery do people upgrade too?
I’m looking at least 80amp 800cca ... let me know
Cheers
T
What’s wrong with the one you’ve got? If it’s failing is it not covered by your Warranty?
Your profile says your “looking to buy”.

battery has died , AA have condemned it as its no in serviceable condition.
I don't want to replace like for like as I don't think a 68 amp 680 cca is good enough for a cali and that's all the dealer will replace with.

re looking to buy < I will change when I work out how to lol, I have a 2017 150 manual cali ocean .

What’s wrong with the one you’ve got? If it’s failing is it not covered by your Warranty?
Your profile says your “looking to buy”.

I don't want to replace like for like as I don't think a 68 amp 680 cca is good enough for a cali and that's all the dealer will replace with.

re looking to buy < I will change when I work out how to lol, I have a 2017 150 manual cali ocean .

Agree with arunalec here tompoole. The one you have should be more than sufficient. I have the same battery and it’s had some hammer over the last two weeks and has performed perfect also in minus conditions.

Agree - bigger is usually better (!) but I'd always go for a reputable make over capacity, and I'm sure your dealer will sell a quality replacement, such as a Varta. If you are going DIY, check out Tayna batteries...

Agree with arunalec here tompoole. The one you have should be more than sufficient. I have the same battery and it’s had some hammer over the last two weeks and has performed perfect also in minus conditions.

cheers for reply.
ive had the AA out and they have told me the battery is shot due to short journeys and high demand due to electric latch on tailgate and door , they have advised me the battery is shot and electrical system is charging correctly. during summer we are away most weekends etc but since nov we have only been using local short trips with has killed battery.
I have to say I was surprised to se a 68ah 680 cca in a derv van with auto lights , electric door latches and def fans running all the time, very battery hungry. just wondered idf anyone had upgraded?

just done a search at online battery suppliers and all suggest an 80ah and 800cca batteries when I put cali reg in....

Agree - bigger is usually better (!) but I'd always go for a reputable make over capacity, and I'm sure your dealer will sell a quality replacement, such as a Varta. If you are going DIY, check out Tayna batteries...

thanks for reply.
ive just checked Tayna and battery store and both suggest a 80amp 800cca as direct replacement so going to buy from Tayna. Im convinced a 68 ah 800cca instant man enough for a camper with doors open and shut many times before driving

The OEM battery is fully adequate if it is not damaged. Many here have had theirs for years. Why not get a free replacement under warranty and give it another chance?

Some years ago my Wife's EOS battery 'died' when out shopping. Still in warranty period.
RAC got her going to get home.

Got in touch with VW who said that they had to put the battery on charge for 24hours and test to confirm dead. Replaced it after 24 hours with no car in the mean time. VW Germany battery warranty claim procedure apparently. Bloody stupid for a dead cell battery but!!!

ive booked it with dealer I purchased van from , they have said they need to put on a diagnostic cycle to see what issue is.

ive booked it with dealer I purchased van from , they have said they need to put on a diagnostic cycle to see what issue is.
Remember, you cannot just replace the Battery on a BlueMotion vehicle, it has to be Coded to the vehicle to work effectively.
Gone are the old days.

Remember, you cannot just replace the Battery on a BlueMotion vehicle, it has to be Coded to the vehicle to work effectively.
Gone are the old days.

really ? wow , I do love my old Landrover its so simple like me lol

maybe , although my understanding of split charge systems is that when a solenoid is used , the batteries should be the same ah rating or damage can occur on the lower rated battery , only mixed batteries should be used when an intelligent DC to Dc system is used .
My starter is a 68 anp and aux are 75amp .
Vw now have the camper so will find out whether the starter is shot soon ...

Hi we had starter battery problems with our 2017 ocean after 3 dealer diagnostics all ok ? and about 4 call outs due to flat battery, vw assist took the battery away for extended testing 2 weeks later came back with a new one this was April 2019 and now all ok.vw assist said it was due to the way the van was stored at the dealers when new ie not being charged correctly when in the showroom or on the forecourt.

battery update.
vw citygate had cali two days and found no issue with batteries or charging system ?
they did however update software and gave me vouchers for 8 free top ups of add blue and washed the cali...
good service by Citygate but left me confused as to why battery has given up twice and the AA had condemned
it ? I have print out of battery test so happy VW have done all they can, no so happy with the AA......
however I believe the 68amp 680 cca isn't man enough and plan to upgrade starter and split charge system as my 1996 Landrover camper has a far superior system which I plan to put on the cali also , DC to DC system with higher spec aux and starter batteries so if starter dies you can link batteries and start from aux batteries.

Gone are the old days.
I think my starter battery is coming to its end.
So if I ordered a new battery to be delivered to me. Would it be impossible for me to replace as DIY with coding being required?
I have the Carista if that is any use.

I think my starter battery is coming to its end.
So if I ordered a new battery to be delivered to me. Would it be impossible for me to replace as DIY with coding being required?
I have the Carista if that is any use.
Carista can't do it.

Back