Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starts, doesn’t run - T5 1.9tdi

bob_summers

bob_summers

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
2008 T5 1.9tdi
Before I get it towed to a garage, anyone have an idea what this might be?

Turn key to On, wait for glow plug light to go out, shows ENGINE FAULT: GARAGE (might not be exact translation, Spanish van) and STOP. The curly glow plug light doesn’t go out.

If I turn the key to start, it fires up no problem but dies after a second or two.

Was running fine when I left it on Sunday last week.

The only thing I’ve done in the meantime is change the broken key fob with a cheapo one off amazon, but it uses the same key blade and PCB so can’t be that surely?

I’ve figured this out, I’ve made a complete arse of this.. According to this post on another forum:

I had a similar problem this morning. My Seat key was not the VW flip key, but a normal Seat keyfob. Like you I changed the battery, the central locking worked fine, but the immobiliser cut in as soon as I tried to start the car. I called the Seat dealer who told me straight away that the micochip had fallen out of the keyfob! Sure enough there it was on the carpet, a small black tab of (what looked like)plastic. I popped it back in and the problem has gone away.

BE WARNED THIS MICROCHIP IS NOT ATTACHED TO THE KEY IT JUST SITS IN THE KEY, LOOSE!!
I remember seeing a tiny bit of black plastic on the table when I changed the fob. Thought it was a broken bit of the old fob. I probably binned it. That was the only key :headbang

I’ve figured this out, I’ve made a complete arse of this.. According to this post on another forum:

I remember seeing a tiny bit of black plastic on the table when I changed the fob. Thought it was a broken bit of the old fob. I probably binned it. That was the only key :headbang
It does sound as if the immobiliser is cutting the engine. Normal symptom is engine starts but then cuts out.
Hope you can find the chip. Otherwise new key and coding to vehicle.

It does sound as if the immobiliser is cutting the engine. Normal symptom is engine starts but then cuts out.
Hope you can find the chip. Otherwise new key and coding to vehicle.
I’ve sussed it. I feel stupid but it’s worth it… I was about to have the van towed to the garage on Monday as it’s parked in a pay and display.

In case it helps anyone in the future, this is what happened.

The black bit of plastic that went in the bin was just a broken tab, it wasn’t the chip. Phew.

The RFID chip is actually a wee plastic tube stuck in the key fob with putty. I still had the old fob thankfully - verified it worked by holding it up to the ignition barrel when starting, and it fires up and runs.

Now just have to dig out the chip and transfer it to the new fob. Disaster averted… thanks to various youtube videos.

Back