Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stealth camping spots disappearing

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Excuses, excuses. I've revised my opinion. The Chip is more like a tree.

I have no problem with your lifestyle choice. If your not prepared to pay your way that's your problem and with your comments about local communities and your attitude to them then , what's that saying " you reap what you sow "

Oh, by the way, if I'm leeching off the state, who are you leeching off?
I’m not leeching off anybody, the returns on my own investments paid for by my own employment pays my way. My tenants may not share the same opinion.

As an aside the area I am parked up is the same area that I own and let flat, and I also employ a local agent to manage it. Additionally its the same city I lived and worked full time for over 20 years as a chartered engineer, which I still am, paying huge sums in tax, and council tax.

The reap what you sow comment was in relation to wild camping in communities that offer no informal facilities to accommodate campervans on holiday. It is not controversial, unless you are a NIMBY or hard of thinking.

I imagine it must be hard to accept when your prejudiced stereotyping of ‘certain groups’ is challenged by the facts.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I’m not leeching off anybody, the returns on my own investments paid for by my own employment pays my way. My tenants may not share the same opinion.

As an aside the area I am parked up is the same area that I own and let flat, and I also employ a local agent to manage it. Additionally its the same city I lived and worked full time for over 20 years as a chartered engineer, which I still am, paying huge sums in tax, and council tax.

The reap what you sow comment was in relation to wild camping in communities that offer no informal facilities to accommodate campervans on holiday. It is not controversial, unless you are a NIMBY or hard of thinking.

I imagine it must be hard to accept when your prejudiced stereotyping of ‘certain groups’ is challenged by the facts.
So you say. Poor you. Everyone is against you. According to
“ you “ you’re not leeching off anyone. I beg to differ.
Just accept that many communities don’t like your attitude and don’t see why they should accommodate you.
If you only worked for 20 years then maybe you’ll be working till your 70 before getting your pension. That’s what happens when average life expectancy increases.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
You are the one leeching off the state. Leech.

I worked 20 years here, not 20 years total, obviously.

I don’t think this law will affect me too much personally, as I have my health the resources and the ability to move on. What concerns me a lot, is the potential impact on those who have very limited options due to their circumstances, or health. It’s a really worrying time for them, unnecessary badly worded law in my view, which I am equally also entitled to.

The potential impact on wildcamping on holiday is just irritating. As the war on drugs is such a success, let’s hope the war on camping goes just as well.

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Please keep this thread about stealth camping spots as I’ve already had to get it moved back from the anything goes section ones and it will get shut down if it goes off again.
Thanks
Dave

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
You are the one leeching off the state. Leech.

I worked 20 years here, not 20 years total, obviously.

I don’t think this law will affect me too much personally, as I have my health the resources and the ability to move on. What concerns me a lot, is the potential impact on those who have very limited options due to their circumstances, or health. It’s a really worrying time for them, unnecessary badly worded law in my view, which I am equally also entitled to.

The potential impact on wildcamping on holiday is just irritating. As the war on drugs is such a success, let’s hope the war on camping goes just as well.
Are you sure you’ve been working for 20 yrs.
Your first comment is more related to Year 5.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Please keep this thread about stealth camping spots as I’ve already had to get it moved back from the anything goes section ones and it will get shut down if it goes off again.
Thanks
Dave
I’m sorry but Lightening has already hijacked this thread, concentrating on the problems he and his fellows are creating for themselves by their own choices.
It has nothing to do with what most people understand by the term “ Wildcamping “. It is unfortunate that this activity maybe impacted by the actions of a thoughtless minority, and very unfortunate that it should be connected to those who have deliberately chosen a somewhat different lifestyle and expect support when they do very little to help their own cause.

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
This thread is being turned into personal attacks.
Why don’t you both just ignore each, and stop sabotaging other peoples threads.
I only use this site to post happy, or helpful things.
You will just drive people away from forum.

It’s simple start your own thread in anything goes:thumb

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
This thread is being turned into personal attacks.
Why don’t you both just ignore each, and stop sabotaging other peoples threads.
I only use this site to post happy, or helpful things.
You will just drive people away from forum.

It’s simple start your own thread in anything goes:thumb
Libellous comments were made on this Thread and so the replies to such comments are made on this thread.
The END.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Frinton on sea are causing consternation.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Sadly I think there's a growing push-back against 'informal' campervanning, it's getting out of hand and we're all part of the problem even if we feel we're being 'responsible'.

An article in yesterday's Sunday Times, about NC500, was titled "Scotland’s Route 66 hums to the sound of dirty campers and irate Highlanders". It's paywalled but I can tell you it doesn't make happy reading and the message is clear. The NC500 head of operations says: “Last year we had 1 million visits to the NC500 website. This year we’re already up to 800,000 and we make it very clear that we prefer visitors to stay in designated accommodation. You can’t just jump in a van and drive up here, and ignorance is not an excuse.”

The last line of the article: “The campervanners have turned the lay-bys into minefields,” said Jim McDonnell, a delivery van driver. “If you don’t watch your step you could tread on something nasty.”

Phillip T

Phillip T

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Sadly I think there's a growing push-back against 'informal' campervanning, it's getting out of hand and we're all part of the problem even if we feel we're being 'responsible'.

An article in yesterday's Sunday Times, about NC500, was titled "Scotland’s Route 66 hums to the sound of dirty campers and irate Highlanders". It's paywalled but I can tell you it doesn't make happy reading and the message is clear. The NC500 head of operations says: “Last year we had 1 million visits to the NC500 website. This year we’re already up to 800,000 and we make it very clear that we prefer visitors to stay in designated accommodation. You can’t just jump in a van and drive up here, and ignorance is not an excuse.”

The last line of the article: “The campervanners have turned the lay-bys into minefields,” said Jim McDonnell, a delivery van driver. “If you don’t watch your step you could tread on something nasty.”
Agree, for me, visual impact is an issue, there is a "wild camping " spot across the loch from us, its 3 miles away but with the naked eye I can tell you how many great whites are there.
I don't think vans like California's have anything like the impact on roads network or perception from locals. I can totally see why the residents may not like great whites outside their window even if in planning terms you have no legal right to a view. Its all in the management of numbers to benefit both parties.
Campaign for real aires is doing a great job to fill the gap between full campsites and free camping for the benefit of all I feel.
Near us the community have had issue with dirty camping and inconsiderate parking, as there is very limited carpark capacity. Folk just park on the side of the road, 250+ counted on day under 2 miles and two weeks running the coastal bus has been suspended, unable to pass down the road which in places almost single track which leaves residents with out a bus service. Many reasons to get upset as a local then.
The community are proactive, have built new toilets with crowd funding and grants but the car parking remains an issue. They are struggling to get land to build the carpark on after the first landowner pulled out during planning permission stage.

Wildcamper

Wildcamper

Vehicle
Please Select

And who can blame the locals for thinking "enough is enough". I think the same article states that the residents of Applecross have requested that their village be removed from the NC500. Definitely on the side of the locals, if they do not want campervans etc to then they should be left in peace. If this requires legislation then so be it - sadly. I gather N Wales is starting to suffer as well so can imagine a clamp down there sooner rather than later. What selfish times we live in!

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
And who can blame the locals for thinking "enough is enough". I think the same article states that the residents of Applecross have requested that their village be removed from the NC500. Definitely on the side of the locals, if they do not want campervans etc to then they should be left in peace. If this requires legislation then so be it - sadly. I gather N Wales is starting to suffer as well so can imagine a clamp down there sooner rather than later. What selfish times we live in!
It’s not surprising the locals want to keep these beautiful places to themselves, it is indeed selfish to try and completely exclude everybody else. Providing Aires is a reasonable compromise.

VW California Club