Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering wheel lock.

Old Sid

Old Sid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
- Is it worth buying a steering wheel lock?
- Do thieves just laugh whist it takes them 10 seconds to remove the lock?
- If it is worth having one, does anyone have any suggestions about what type to buy?
- Is there a better alternative? (Wheel clamp perhaps).
- Would I be better off using a heavy duty cable lock and a decent padlock between steering wheel and seat frame?

If you use the vehicle for high days and holidays only then a wheel clamp would be good.
If you use it everyday then not.
The California does not figure on any list of most stolen vehicle. 2 or 3 have been mentioned on the Forum over the past few years and one of those was vintage in age.Very few if any follow up posts as to what happened.
Personally I just take common sense precautions and have good Insurance. I have a footbrake clamp which stops the vehicle being started, it is a DSG, but apparently doesn't fit the T6, and I only used that when parking up at Heathrow Hotels for a few weeks, more to stop the Concierge from moving it than being stolen. If they want it they will take it, and then do you really want it back?

If you use the vehicle for high days and holidays only then a wheel clamp would be good.
If you use it everyday then not.
The California does not figure on any list of most stolen vehicle. 2 or 3 have been mentioned on the Forum over the past few years and one of those was vintage in age.Very few if any follow up posts as to what happened.
Personally I just take common sense precautions and have good Insurance. I have a footbrake clamp which stops the vehicle being started, it is a DSG, but apparently doesn't fit the T6, and I only used that when parking up at Heathrow Hotels for a few weeks, more to stop the Concierge from moving it than being stolen. If they want it they will take it, and then do you really want it back?

Excellent. You seem to be thinking along the same lines as me. :)

- Is it worth buying a steering wheel lock?
- Do thieves just laugh whist it takes them 10 seconds to remove the lock?
- If it is worth having one, does anyone have any suggestions about what type to buy?
- Is there a better alternative? (Wheel clamp perhaps).
- Would I be better off using a heavy duty cable lock and a decent padlock between steering wheel and seat frame?
I was thinking of either a hidden or a key switch mounted to break the wire to the solenoid that releases the shifter on the auto.

I also think about whether you need something more obvious that says "too hard, move along to the next one" ?

Be careful adding switches as canbus may throw a wobly

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Be careful adding switches as canbus may throw a wobly

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Yea, you normally need to replicate the resistor(or diode) using a changeover switch so the Central convenience module still sees the circuit complete but cant actuate it..

Make sure the keys are locked in a safe; low life broke into our house and took the keys to Margaret's Golf from the kitchen worktop. Gone in 60 seconds :(, despite being behind locked iron gates (they just smashed the lock),

Make sure the keys are locked in a safe; low life broke into our house and took the keys to Margaret's Golf from the kitchen worktop. Gone in 60 seconds :(, despite being behind locked iron gates (they just smashed the lock),
Good point; there has been a real shift in vehicles thefts since the early 90's when most cars were easy to get into and the easy to steal. These days, because of consumer pressure, vehicle security is so good that the best way to steal a vehicle is to break into the house to steal the keys.

Good point; there has been a real shift in vehicles thefts since the early 90's when most cars were easy to get into and the easy to steal. These days, because of consumer pressure, vehicle security is so good that the best way to steal a vehicle is to break into the house to steal the keys.
Yup - I've got a key safe. The Cali keys allways live in it and if we are away then all house keys (back door etc) go in it as well. There is a school of thought that argues against a key safe on basis that determined thieves may then wake you in your bed to open the safe. However, much of the time our Cali is on the drive when no one is home so opn balance I think the safe is the best compromise.

Yup - I've got a key safe. The Cali keys allways live in it and if we are away then all house keys (back door etc) go in it as well. There is a school of thought that argues against a key safe on basis that determined thieves may then wake you in your bed to open the safe. However, much of the time our Cali is on the drive when no one is home so opn balance I think the safe is the best compromise.
Just make sure house exit keys are accessible - you might need to get out in a hurry...
There no getting round those who would threaten you for the keys - just let them have them - a vehicle can be replaced, we only get one life...

Just make sure house exit keys are accessible - you might need to get out in a hurry...
There no getting round those who would threaten you for the keys - just let them have them - a vehicle can be replaced, we only get one life...
Valid point @Stoneybroke . The house keys only go in safe when we are away overnight.

Might be an idea to turn the driver's seat round completely, tilt the back against the steering wheel and put the handbrake on. It will slow them down substantially by the time they've figured out how to turn it back again! :D

If you want a good lock , safe and easy to use ( but not the cheapest) , google Bearlock or use the search funtion here on the forum using Bearlock ( posts by me might show up)
;)

Friend of mine got home to find that the whole safe had been ripped from the wall. It was (or had been) very securely bolted to a brick wall but must have just been levered out with a big breaker bar.

Chap down the road disturbed 2 thieves when he came home early 2 weeks ago, they threatened him with a screwdriver and left with the ammo safe on top of his gun cabinet, he said they levered it off with the crow bar he lost 2 years ago.

Back