Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stereo

Mck VW

Mck VW

Vehicle
Grand California 600
When we are parked up at a site, sometimes we like to play some quiet background music. The problem I have is that after a certain amount of time 20mins I think, the stereo shuts down.( this is with the ignition turned off)So I have to go to the stereo and press the power button and away she plays again. This is frustrating me, and I’m not going to leave the ignition turned on. Is there a way that the stereo will stay on with the ignition turned off?

When we are parked up at a site, sometimes we like to play some quiet background music. The problem I have is that after a certain amount of time 20mins I think, the stereo shuts down.( this is with the ignition turned off)So I have to go to the stereo and press the power button and away she plays again. This is frustrating me, and I’m not going to leave the ignition turned on. Is there a way that the stereo will stay on with the ignition turned off?
Not without flattening the Engine Battery.
You have 2 Options.
1. Most California Owners use a USB Bluetooth speaker to play music from their phone, or, and this is what I use, a USB rechargeable speaker that plays MP3 files stored on a USB or SD card memory store.

2. Find an Autoelectrician who can figure out a way to power the onboard Music system from the Leisure Battery AND disable the automatic 20 minute switch off which is controlled by the onboard computer system. Not easily done.

There is a 3 rd way. Change the Onboard radio for a 3rd party system.

You verhicle details say Grand California , wich verhicle type are you talking about?

Apparently the 6.1 will allow the stereo to stay on when on EHU. They must have tweaked the power supply. I wonder if anyone will work out how to retrofit this to a T6?

Good morning,

We bought a small DAB radio for this purpose. We use it with batteries which gives us the freedom to put the radio where ever we need it. Can't remember the cost, but it was not more than EUR 45.00.

Also we have a small set of speakers in the van as well. We use them either for the TV or for the radio if we want more than background music. Can't remember the cost of those, but surely not more than EUR 30.00.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good morning,

We bought a small DAB radio for this purpose. We use it with batteries which gives us the freedom to put the radio where ever we need it. Can't remember the cost, but it was not more than EUR 45.00.

Also we have a small set of speakers in the van as well. We use them either for the TV or for the radio if we want more than background music. Can't remember the cost of those, but surely not more than EUR 30.00.
Having a second sound system in the Cali if you have children is a real boon. You can have a bedtime story bluetoothed from iPad to a speaker in the roof tent while you and your partner can hand and foot jive to Showaddywaddy while lounging on the lower bed.

Apparently the 6.1 will allow the stereo to stay on when on EHU. They must have tweaked the power supply. I wonder if anyone will work out how to retrofit this to a T6?

After my last few weeks of camping - this did cross my mind about why can't I use the 'cab battery' functions whilst on EHU if both batteries are being charged? I would really like to be able to use Apple Car Play for phone (charging)/music/apps etc whilst on the campsite connected to EHU. Also I quite like the front cab reading lights...

I have not tried to see if it will stay on - does anyone have any insight?

After my last few weeks of camping - this did cross my mind about why can't I use the 'cab battery' functions whilst on EHU if both batteries are being charged? I would really like to be able to use Apple Car Play for phone (charging)/music/apps etc whilst on the campsite connected to EHU. Also I quite like the front cab reading lights...

I have not tried to see if it will stay on - does anyone have any insight?
1. It won’t stay On unless Ignition On. Not a good idea.
2. I have proven to my own satisfaction that on Mains Hookup the Engine battery is trickle charged and I do mean “ trickle “. This is not by design and whereas it might cope with more frequent use of the radio what you are referring to, on a continuous or more frequent basis, Unlikely.

You could try and let us know how you get on, but the Cab lights and ICE will still switch Off after 20 minutes or so.

We use iPad with or without Bluetooth speaker or ‘Pure’ rechargeable DAB radio.

Good to hear the T6.1 stereo is powered by the leisure battery.

Does it mean that the 20 min automatic shutdown doesn’t happen anymore on the T6.1? The video doesn’t mention that.

If it’s like my T6.1 was it auto shuts down after a random amount of time whether you are driving or parked up.

There were suggestions early last year that the power supply had been changed to the Leisure batteries but even if it had been changed it did still auto switch off.

If it’s like my T6.1 was it auto shuts down after a random amount of time whether you are driving or parked up.

There were suggestions early last year that the power supply had been changed to the Leisure batteries but even if it had been changed it did still auto switch off.
Yes - at the weekend mine continued playing on the campsite (not on hook-up) for, I would say 3 hours. The weekend prior it had switched off after about 20 mins. I'd like to know what I did differently (if anything).
Good to know though that keeping switching it back on won't drain the starter battery.

Back