Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stiff chocks and screeching brackets

Stow

Stow

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I've a 2018 Ocean with the new bike rack - Quasimodo I believe.

Moving the rack out of the vertical position need major effort and produces a terrible screech; moving the chocks to fit the bike wheels is a two handed job, and massive effort.

Is there a way of lubricating these, but not to the point the chocks slip around and the rack doesn't fall down when driving in the upright position? I've read about silicone spray - is this suitable?

HI,
Personally I'd live with both. I think it's a matter of getting 'worn in'
Mine is also new (fitted last month and used once).
So I have only moved my chocks on one rail since putting it on the Cali. It felt easier when I tested them before fitting the rack so some of it (in my case) is lack of access compared to when it was on the ground. As for the creek...it will loosen and likely not need any lubrication at this point.
By design, it relies on the clips to stop it falling down not the tightness of the hinged joints so lubrication shouldn't be a factor in that though I appreciate what you are saying.

Moving the rack out of the vertical position need major effort and produces a terrible screech; moving the chocks to fit the bike wheels is a two handed job, and massive effort.

Is there a way of lubricating these, but not to the point the chocks slip around and the rack doesn't fall down when driving in the upright position? I've read about silicone spray - is this suitable?
The screeching is standard spec. The chocks do eventually start to slide a bit easier. Mine is the same and you get used it it. It gives confidence that the chocks won’t move of their own accord so helps keep the bike stable.

I used silicon spray on the plastic bit that holds the rack in the down position, no more noise. The chocks move easily if the squeeze the sides of the chock when moving them.

Back