Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stolen high level brake light (known defect - recall)

T6Beach

T6Beach

VIP Member
Just come home and the wife says our high level break light is missing, either it has fallen out or someone has stolen it :headbang

It's fallen out, T5 & T6 problem I'm afraid, very annoying but covered under warranty. Cover the hole temporarily to prevent water ingress.

100% fallen out, just had mine replaced / fixed.

Can't believe they didn't fix this on the T6, beyond a joke!!

Thanks for the responses, this is beyond a joke, I remember reading about this on the T5, I did not think for one minute there would be a problem on the T6 !!

I tried to look under the rubber seal on the pop top roof today checking for corrosion and it is glued down solid, they have either done this as a fix or to hide any corrosion that is bubbling away underneath!

Are there any other problems I need to look out for that might have been carried over from the T5?

Has anyone lost a 2nd one?
It seems, but I could be wrong, that it is the factory fitted lights that drop out.

Our second one has remained it situ 35k with no issues

Still waiting for the part to arrive for our new T6 Ocean, on back order!

Currently held in with electrical tape!

Still waiting for the part to arrive for our new T6 Ocean, on back order!

Currently held in with electrical tape!
a good way to solve this is to use clear silicone sealant clean and dry all around the area apply a generous bead and Bobs your uncle and rip off VW HAVE NOT MADE A BEAN OUT OF YOU

VW never made a bean out of me,

It's a warranty issue

a good way to solve this is to use clear silicone sealant clean and dry all around the area apply a generous bead and Bobs your uncle and rip off VW HAVE NOT MADE A BEAN OUT OF YOU

Thanks for the tip but this is a warranty issue... started leaking day two of ownership of our brand new Ocean!

We have lost 2 - both replaced under warranty.

One time we did find the fallen off unit, and it was not broken. However it was impossible to get it to click back into place - I assume you have to press from both sides to make it click together, and that will need trim taking off on the inside???

Lucky the LEDs that are exposed when the lens fall off are red.

T

We have lost 2 - both replaced under warranty.

One time we did find the fallen off unit, and it was not broken. However it was impossible to get it to click back into place - I assume you have to press from both sides to make it click together, and that will need trim taking off on the inside???

Lucky the LEDs that are exposed when the lens fall off are red.

T
I cannot believe V.W. have not applied the industry standard F.M.E.A. (failure modes effect analysis) on this component and they will not sell the faulty part I.E. the plastic cover they try to sell you the whole unit + £35.00ish perhaps they are to busy Fiddling something else we do not know about Yet

My indicator lights on the side have a few condensation blobs in them,,,, from when I got it a few months back....should I worry?
I keep meaning to take them off and dry them

My indicator lights on the side have a few condensation blobs in them,,,, from when I got it a few months back....should I worry?
Could be due to temperature change and humidity. Could try using a hairdryer on the light until just warm and see if the condensation disappears.or lessens when it has cooled. If so repeat until clear. But heat only until warm.

We had one wet inside on delivery. took off dried out but soon filled up with damp replaced under warranty no issue since

Our 2010 T5 Kombi had this problem and were replaced under warranty.
Another example of Vws legendary build quality that continues for years and years without being fixed.

Pressure washing can cause this.
I bought replacements and only hand wash the van now. No problem since.

It's fallen out, T5 & T6 problem I'm afraid, very annoying but covered under warranty. Cover the hole temporarily to prevent water ingress.
Has anyone been able to get a refund from VW? I paid the £35.88 for a replacement in Feb. 2014 when my Dec. 2013 Cali went in for its first service believing it had been stolen.
I only discovered about the "recall" issue last December (2016) when the replacement was replaced and the garage managed to break the rear windscreen in the process. I am left with unfulfilled promises to return calls and emails and a sense of injustice as it is only the fact that the "recall" was not in operation in Feb 2014 which has left me out of pocket.

I was told when they replaced mine under recall, that it was caused by air pressure when closing the boot quickly. The newer one had stronger glue that was the fix.

Weird that they've reintroduced the problem on the T6.

I wonder if it is a problem just on the California, or Commercial vans as well.
Certainly not mentioned frequently on the T4/T5 Forum.

Maybe the better Door seals combined with a constant, smaller internal compressible volume.

Is it more common on the SE/Ocean than the Beach?

Judging by the Members posts in this thread - Yes.

My Beach (nearly) had the issue. Noticed that one end of the red cover was not sitting flush to the tailgate. As mentioned previously its not possible to just push the cover back on as the main unit is slightly sprung loaded and pulls back into the tailgate. Chances are some of the plastic clips that hold the red cover to the LED unit are also broken.
Fixed mine by removing the whole unit and epoxying the red cover to he LED unit. Its a sort of clam shell design so there is a nice big surface area for the glue. Then refitted adding a silicon bead round the tailgate hole for extra waterproofing. Been fine since (year +).
I would doubt its air volume related as would be a convoluted path for the air to take into that area of the tailgate. Most Commercial T5s (& T6s) are barn door rather than tailgate, maybe they are less of an issue.

I am about to pay £100 for the second fallen light. Its quite annoying! Grr.

Back