Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stop start module

L

Legin

Guest User
Due to popular request here are the details for a stop start module installation. The basic function of this module is it presses the button on your behalf. It effectively remembers the last setting. It is in no way invasive to the ECU. I have fitted to my T6 and it works great and actually transferred it from my passat to the T6

Suggest buying from this link and he will send you fitting details which are quite straightforward. there are two types so you advise him its a t6 and he will send the correct one - the plus version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Star...h=item4b0dae5f2d:g:ArAAAOSwzRlaGn7O:rk:2:pf:0

Some photos of the install which is what he will send - takes about 30 mins. Just make sure you look very closely at which wire as some cross in the photos. Cut back the loom tape to get good access. Three red scotch lok required.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! Just ordered mine.

I recon on having a pretty good grasp of the English language, but I struggle to understand the ebay description. In plain English, what is the purpose of this please?

It looks like you have a similar spec van to me, so I suspect you'll be having the same problems I experience with the stop start system, which cuts and my engine far too frequently (and often dangerously).

I'm poor at forgetting to turn it off everytime I start the van so the annoyance continues to bug me 12 months into ownership as it chooses to cut my engine while I'm trying to edge out at a difficult T junction (etc)

This clever little box just allows the stop start switch to remember it's last setting. So if you turn it off once, it will stay off..... Today, tomorrow, next week.

As occasionally the stop start system does have a role, then this device still allows that. Press the switch once and will stay 'on' (today, tomorrow, next week), until you (you) decide you want it off again.
It's the way it should have been coded in the first place.

Many thanks. I get it now. Yes the Start/Stop feature is a pain sometimes. Keep us updated.

It looks like you have a similar spec van to me, so I suspect you'll be having the same problems I experience with the stop start system, which cuts and my engine far too frequently (and often dangerously).

I'm poor at forgetting to turn it off everytime I start the van so the annoyance continues to bug me 12 months into ownership as it chooses to cut my engine while I'm trying to edge out at a difficult T junction (etc)

This clever little box just allows the stop start switch to remember it's last setting. So if you turn it off once, it will stay off..... Today, tomorrow, next week.

As occasionally the stop start system does have a role, then this device still allows that. Press the switch once and will stay 'on' (today, tomorrow, next week), until you (you) decide you want it off again.
It's the way it should have been coded in the first place.
Wonder why VW gave T6 owners the option to turn it off, don't think my T5 has the option but I have never found it a problem on my manual.

Less of an issue on a manual as keeping your foot on the clutch overrides it. The auto stops when foot is on the brake pedal.
Dangerous imo and the constant starting does nothing for starter life and is terrible for turbo wear. Your turbo is running at 200,000 + rpm red hot then you turn the oil feed off to the bearings at the end of the motorway slip road.

I am guessing this is also a solution for a T5?

If you have a stop start off button then yes will work for a T5 also. Send the seller a message and he will confirm.

Outrageous - I can't imagine a mindset so selfish as to deliberately over-ride such a minor concession toward minimising the damage being caused to us all.

Outrageous - I can't imagine a mindset so selfish as to deliberately over-ride such a minor concession toward minimising the damage being caused to us all.
?
Not sure if you are being ironic....

Module arrived today.
Fitted it in 30-mins.
I can't believe the fascia has to come of to get the switch out, so spent 10 minutes looking at that - blanks come out from front, but I couldn't get the switch out, so off came the fascia.
Gently does it with the fascia - it needs to come straight off, not at an angle.
Tested it before reassembly, worked first time.
Excellent.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Module arrived today.
Fitted it in 30-mins.
I can't believe the fascia has to come of to get the switch out, so spent 10 minutes looking at that - blanks come out from front, but I couldn't get the switch out, so off came the fascia.
Gently does it with the fascia - it needs to come straight off, not at an angle.
Tested it before reassembly, worked first time.
Excellent.
Thank you.

Do you get all the gubbins to remove the dash surround...?
That’s the part I’m fearful of. I’m a bit heavy handed when things aren’t going to plan :rolleyes:

You dont get the tools just the module. All you need is a plastic pry tool and dont do it when the plastic is freezing cold.

?
Not sure if you are being ironic....

Not really. It's been debated here at length, but Start/Stop to me is the smallest possible concession a driver can make to minimising impact - going to this much trouble to disable appears, at best, selfish.

- it isn't a dangerous feature
- it isn't going 'to wear out' XYZ component prematurely
- it does make a difference to urban pollution & air quality

It does however require minor adjustments to driving style for a positive benefit for everyone - though I don't expect agreement, we'll far more likely get the idiot Australian troll video dug up again ... ho hum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06y47hv

it isn't a dangerous feature
Mine has a really nasty habit of deciding to shut down when creeping before the vehicle has come to a complete stop. The 2 seconds of confusion it takes to restart while the system decides what it should be doing makes busy roundabouts very annoying, bordering on unsafe.

Can't believe people are paying money for this...surely it invalidates your warranty

Stop start is designed for getting the vehicle through emision regulations. No more, no less.
A gimmick in the real world, dangerous in certain situations and pain in the butt at best.
Obviously when queuing at, say, a level crossing then one turns off the engine, as a matter of course. Personally I have now pretty much mastered the art of disabling the thing as part of my pre planet busting selfish act of being out on the road in the first place.
:cheers

Dangerous? Well i've had it in my vehicles for 7 years, and i've not yet had any near death experiences as a result of it! Bizzare.
And yes, you are correct that it is for getting thru emmissions regs...cunningly by reducing emmissions...those sneaky car makers.

Back