Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stop start module

Since this thread has long since descended from useful tip by a friendly dude into a zealous flame war full of useful (?) tidbits about modern diesel engine design mixed with plenty of high and mighty righteousness, maybe now is a good time to reveal my plan to run my bus on oil squeezed from carbon neutral baby seals in attempt to reduce the ill effects of defaulting the start/stop system from on to off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your informative post ! Having re read all of this thread, there are valid points made by various posters.

I agree that the Op has offered a useful tip, which there has been some discussion and counter discussion, which involved some technical stance to enable a full understanding of the issue.

As is quite normal when various individuals have a debate there are various scenarios and side arguments developed and discussed. In this particular instance I have tried to follow the argument and counter argument to try to develop my understanding of the tech that I have fiited to my van, and don’t fully understand why and what the potential benefit / damage will be to my van by using the start stop function?

Since this thread has long since descended from useful tip by a friendly dude into a zealous flame war full of useful (?) tidbits about modern diesel engine design mixed with plenty of high and mighty righteousness, maybe now is a good time to reveal my plan to run my bus on oil squeezed from carbon neutral baby seals in attempt to reduce the ill effects of defaulting the start/stop system from on to off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now you are starving said polar bears by taking their food supply, how could you!

Ok so High Pressure Fuel injected in on Compression, same thing. If no fuel injected then no hydrocarbons in exhaust.
Diesels run much cooler than petrol hence the fact that engine coolant fans rarely on except during regeneration. Also Stop/Start should not function if heat is problematic.

If Stop/Start activates before the Engine has got to Temperature then there is a fault.

For Information.

T6 TPI - start-stop system fails intermittently, engine does not switch off or on -

11/14/2018 Technical product information 2039908/1

Technical product information:
Service info: start-stop system fails intermittently, engine does not switch off or on Transaction No.: 2039908/1
Release date: 27-Feb-2015

Customer statement / workshop findings:

The start-stop system fails intermittently. The engine is not automatically switched off or on.

Technical background:
This TPI only applies to vehicles with the with start-stop system.
The start-stop system allows automatic engine stops and starts.
Because of different factors the engine may not automatically be switched off although the driver expects it.
It is also possible that the engine starts automatically although the driver does not expect it.
For the start-stop system to work there must be no incorrect function and no event entry in the control unit that could affect its operation.

The engine is automatically switched off if the following conditions apply:

• The minimum engine temperature has been reached. Unless this is the case, the system does not switch off
the engine to avoid interrupting the warm-up and to ensure that the heating is available as quickly as
possible.
• The vehicle has exceeded 3 km/h and driven a few metres before coming to a complete standstill.
• On automatic vehicles more than 10 km/h must be reached.
• The charge level of the battery must be sufficient so that the engine can be restarted. To ensure this the
battery manager constantly monitors the charge level of the battery.
• The defrost function of the windscreen is deactivated and the outside temperature is over 3ºC.
• The driver must wear a seat belt.
• A gear must not be selected.
• The clutch must not be pressed.
• The driver door and the bonnet must be closed.
• The engine speed must be below 1,200 rpm.
• The diesel particulate filter (DPF) of the engine must not be in the regeneration process.
• The difference between target and actual interior temperature must not be more than 12ºC.
• The road incline must be under 10º.
• The steering wheel must not be more than 270º (3/4) turned, as the vehicle comes to a standstill.
• On automatic vehicles the brake pedal must be pressed and held as long as the start-stop function is to be
active.
• -
• -
In the following situations the engine is not automatically switched off:
• The vehicle is electrically connected with a trailer.
• The system was manually deactivated with the button on the centre console.
• The clutch is being pressed.
• A gear is selected.
• The brake pedal is not pressed sufficient hard and held.
• The parking aid is switched on.
• The interior temperature selected on the air conditioning system has not yet been reached.
• The charge level of the battery is too low.
• The windscreen is being defrosted.
• The steering wheel is turned more than 270°.
• The vehicle is inclined too much.
• The system remains switched off, if after a replacement the battery has not been adapted with the Guided
Functions or if after such an adaptation the system is in the process of calculating the charging curve. This
process takes about 10 start cycles and varies depending on vehicle and equipment.

In the following situations the engine starts automatically without driver involvement (without pressing the clutch pedal):

• The vehicle moves with switched-off engine and reaches a speed of more than 3 km/h, for example because
of a slope.
• On an automatic vehicle the selector lever position "R" is inserted.
• The coolant temperature drops or rises too much.
• The vacuum in the brake servo has dropped leading to reduced braking assistance.
• The interior temperature differs from value selected in the air conditioning system.
• The outside temperature is below 3ºC.
• The charge level of the battery is below a certain level.
• Many electric electrical consumers are switched on.
• The windscreen is being defrosted.

Requirements for the engine to be started deliberately after being turned off by the start-stop system:

• The clutch pedal must be pressed.
• On automatic vehicles the brake pedal must be released.
• The bonnet must not be open.
• When pressing the clutch pedal the driver door must be closed.
• The seat belt of the driver must be in the belt buckle and must not be released.

Further information about the start-stop system is included in the owner's manual.
Production change
Interesting to see that having a trailer plugged in disables stop/start which should also apply to towbar mounted bike carriers.
I'll have to check that out as I'd not noticed or been aware of it.

Interesting to see that having a trailer plugged in disables stop/start which should also apply to towbar mounted bike carriers.
I'll have to check that out as I'd not noticed or been aware of it.
Can confirm that does happen. Also on mine the Seat Belt Audible Warning was also disabled when the Towbar Bike Rack was plugged in.

Thanks for the support. I know what you mean and I half expected it and only posted it in response to a request.

Truth is I find the forum concerning in some respects as some of my posts/threads have been deleted as they have been perceived as threatening to the commercial undercurrent within. Anti competitive some might say.

Dont think I will try again.
Noooooooo.... Keep the ideas coming, i love that spare wheel carrier one and
i´ve learnt from this post, i know of another VAG car that you can disable stop start
by going into the menu ( deep ) didn't realise you couldn't on the T6.

Back