Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

StopLock Pro, Advice needed.

S

Shadrack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,
I have read a few threads and the StopLock pro seems to be one of the better visual deterrents.

Can someone tell me if this fits ok with the multi function steering wheel?

Thank you.

Hi BeeBee,
Yes I purchased the StopLock pro Elite, fits perfect with the multifunction steering wheel. It’s a pretty big and heavy well made piece of kit that should be enough to make most opportunists move on.
The Elite has a bigger set in the arm to fit most steering wheels. I don’t think you should not have any problems with the fit.
I even use it on my bmw series 1 which has a fairly small steering wheel.

Hi BeeBee,
Yes I purchased the StopLock pro Elite, fits perfect with the multifunction steering wheel. It’s a pretty big and heavy well made piece of kit that should be enough to make most opportunists move on.
The Elite has a bigger set in the arm to fit most steering wheels. I don’t think you should not have any problems with the fit.
I even use it on my bmw series 1 which has a fairly small steering wheel.
Thanks Shadrack for such a speedy response .. we're going on our first trip next week and want to maximise safety of our van. I guess it's only the pro elite that fits not the pro ?

Thanks Shadrack for such a speedy response .. we're going on our first trip next week and want to maximise safety of our van. I guess it's only the pro elite that fits not the pro ?

I don’t know about the pro only, but the elite is a good fit.
You enjoy that first trip, if you are anything like me, take a notepad with you to write down the needed items you had forgotten or did not think about.

Ok everything can help preventing a thefth but , thought those steeringwheel clamps were useless ?
A small handsaw cutting thru the steeringwheel , must be easy to take of ....
Or am i missing something ?

Ok everything can help preventing a thefth but , thought those steeringwheel clamps were useless ?
A small handsaw cutting thru the steeringwheel , must be easy to take of ....
Or am i missing something ?

I did do a fair bit of research and look into visual deterrents, there are many review sites out there that do the various tests etc.
The latest stop lock pro was proven the best of the rest giving at least 5 minutes before removal compared to seconds with most of the others.

If someone wants your van... it’s gone no matter what you do..

But for less than £50 the StopLock gives a visual deterrent and hopefully the noise and extra time taken would be an additional deterrent to deter the would be scrote....

Just one thing about the Stop Lock, what is everyone doing with them when these things aren't attached to the steering wheel?

They are heavy and could cause a nasty injury or worse if left unrestrained in a crash situation. I'll hold my hands up and admit that I just remove it and dump it on the floor. However this practice is potentially dangerous.

It should be stowed in the boot where it's less likely to causes issues. Has anyone found a way of keeping it captive within the cab area when not in use? Possible locking it to the passenger seat base in some way or other so it cannot flail about in a collision.

I have liked your idea calikev. A good sound solution.
But if I am honest mine comes off the steering wheel and gets chucked up the passenger footwell were it will cause little or no nuisance.

Thank you for your original help too in advising me before I made a purchase, it really helped me. I hope we were able to help BeeBee to with the query.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated..

I’m not putting down a product or saying that it shouldn’t be used, I’m merely trying offer some advice.

If a vehicle is going to stolen the majority of the time it’s going to be stolen with the keys, and I’m willing to bet the majority of people for convenience keep the key for the lock with the key for the vehicle. Keep the keys separate, one in the kitchen one in the bedroom.

A more effective measure is a wheel clamp, as this helps prevent the vehicle being lifted/dragged onto a tilt and slide.

If on a drive an up down/retractable, NOT a fold down, post is a good measure.

If being stored in a storage place, paying a bit extra and travelling a little further for a place with full fencing, cameras and 24hr staff is way better than the farm down the road with no insurance.

As said I’m not putting it down!

If someone was to want you Cali they’ll have it away within 3-5 minutes, without keys, with a steering wheel lock on, in gear and without opening the vehicle, the main item that would put them off is a wheel clamp or a post.

For those wondering, google, wheel dolly, trolly jack, tilt and slide rental.

Personal experience on the receiving end.

Yes. I put mine in the drawer for driving. I reckon most thieves don't have cranes and angle grinders and always put mine on.

IMG_20190520_133005.jpg

Thanks Kev,
I'll look into doing something similar.

But if I am honest mine comes off the steering wheel and gets chucked up the passenger footwell were it will cause little or no nuisance.

Thank you for your original help too in advising me before I made a purchase, it really helped me. I hope we were able to help BeeBee to with the query.

In a serious accident the contents of a vehicle will fly around the inside. Anything heavy can cause serious injury and even death. So placing it, like I sometimes do, in the passenger foot well isn't the answer. It needs to either be stowed where it cannot move in a collision or affixed to something like a front seat base.

This thread has made me decide that I must do something about this straight away.

We have a StopLock Pro and it fits the multifunction steering wheel absolutely fine. When driving I put it between the drivers seat and the door from the sliding door, yellow end forward facing. Not perfectly stowed admittedly though I hope it minimises the potential of flying around the Cali as it doesn’t fit through the gap nor upwards. We’ve also got two Rhino bollards on the drive, one directly in front and the other to the unprotected side. The one in front is counterweighted (ie there’s no actual weight to it) as they’re very heavy to pull up from below ground level particularly for the fairer sex

Yes. I put mine in the drawer for driving. I reckon most thieves don't have cranes and angle grinders and always put mine on.

View attachment 45112

Looks good and a definite deterrent.
I have found that the double prongs on the stop lock that go around the wheel before locking actually goes around the wheel where the double spokes at the bottom of the wheel (one prong each side). This would give the thieving scroat a bit more work to do with his cutter and take even a few more minutes to take it off. You have to position the wheel as if slightly turning to the left so that lock is in same position as your photo.
To make it even more difficult I did read on this forum somewhere that turning the drivers seat around makes things a tad awkward.

View attachment 45112
Ps... I also meant to add that the stowing away in the drawer is an excellent suggestion for safety reasons mentioned by others, I will be adopting that myself. Thank you....

Looks good and a definite deterrent.
I have found that the double prongs on the stop lock that go around the wheel before locking actually goes around the wheel where the double spokes at the bottom of the wheel (one prong each side). This would give the thieving scroat a bit more work to do with his cutter and take even a few more minutes to take it off. You have to position the wheel as if slightly turning to the left so that lock is in same position as your photo.
To make it even more difficult I did read on this forum somewhere that turning the drivers seat around makes things a tad awkward.
the lock in my pic is clamped around the spoke containing some of the multi function buttons. you would need to do 3 cuts . I've never known anyone have anything stolen with one on. and I live in scrote city where the uniform is grey traggy boggams hanging down your ass and a hoody over a baseball cap.

Thanks, yes I got a Stoplock pro elite too ... find it easy to use and have to admit haven't always 'restrained it' in the boot , but will endeaver to do it in future !

Aldi are selling these from Thursday for £39.99. They seem to be a reasonable price. Has anyone bought one recently?
Bought one this year and it fits fine. Stowed in the under bench seat drawer when not in use.

Iv got one on another van, works very well, try to keep lock key separate from main key, it also has an added bonus that if you aren’t careful it’s very easy to beep the horn, another built in alarm...

I ordered a pro elite too for my new Beach Camper which picked up yesterday . Went to put it on this morning and have to say it feels a bit loose and can turn the wheel a bit when on ...does anyone else find this had one years ago which was a much tighter fit and couldn’t turn at all ??

Back