Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stopovers on the way to/from the alps - where to stop near Dijon?

P

Paul Karas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi
I'm heading off to the Haute Maurienne and Val Maira this weekend for a first proper trip in my Cali - exciting but nervous too - first french stopover and first time on snow (have all season tyres and chains). So, I need help!
My immediate priority is to find somewhere safe (and nice/scenic/friendly if possible) to stop around Dijon on my way south.
And any advice on places to avoid too.
Best wishes
Paul

Hi
I'm heading off to the Haute Maurienne and Val Maira this weekend for a first proper trip in my Cali - exciting but nervous too - first french stopover and first time on snow (have all season tyres and chains). So, I need help!
My immediate priority is to find somewhere safe (and nice/scenic/friendly if possible) to stop around Dijon on my way south.
Best wishes
Paul
What’s your planned route?
Done this trip (via various roads!) plenty of times in the summer months and a couple of ski trips. But sites being open might be an issue. Are you after a site?

What’s your planned route?
Done this trip (via various roads!) plenty of times in the summer months and a couple of ski trips. But sites being open might be an issue. Are you after a site?

Thanks Azteccamper. I'm just going straight from Calais down to Lyon then across to Chambery and down to Modane. Leaving Calais at 1355 so only want to drive about 5 hours. On the way back, I'm leaving Mamora in the Val Maira (amazing deserted beautiful valley in the italian side of the Alpes Maritime) at about 0900 and then heading north via either the Frejus tunnel or a quick blast down the hill in La Grave via Montgenevre - and then back up the same way from Lyon to Calais. My return crossing is at about 12 so I want to start about 3 hours south of Calais (Challons en Champagne or similar).

Thanks Azteccamper. I'm just going straight from Calais down to Lyon then across to Chambery and down to Modane. Leaving Calais at 1355 so only want to drive about 5 hours. On the way back, I'm leaving Mamora in the Val Maira (amazing deserted beautiful valley in the italian side of the Alpes Maritime) at about 0900 and then heading north via either the Frejus tunnel or a quick blast down the hill in La Grave via Montgenevre - and then back up the same way from Lyon to Calais. My return crossing is at about 12 so I want to start about 3 hours south of Calais (Challons en Champagne or similar).
Fair play to you that’s a bit of driving - beautiful in the summer - travelled over the Alps two summers ago into Italy in that neck of the woods, loved it. You’ve got me jealous but alas knees (and wife) not too keen on the slopes anymore!
I’ll check out a couple of places for you and post here ASAP. Enjoy.

Fair play to you that’s a bit of driving - beautiful in the summer - travelled over the Alps two summers ago into Italy in that neck of the woods, loved it. You’ve got me jealous but alas knees (and wife) not too keen on the slopes anymore!
I’ll check out a couple of places for you and post here ASAP. Enjoy.
I can recommend:
Dijon
camping-du-lac-dijon.com - mixed reviews but in town.
Beaune
beaune.fr - nice town and a great campsite just a short walk to bars/restaurants.
campinglesbouleaux.wixsite.com - didn’t stay here but spoke to others that have and said it was good.
Chalon Sur Saone
domaine-eperviere.com
camping-chalon.com

Not sure if any are open. We liked the one in the centre of Beaune the best just as it’s a nice town.

Camping Lac du Kir in Dijon is closed in winter. Les Bouleaux near Baune is open all year. Indeed Baune has a nice city centre.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Hi
Best wishes
Paul

This is a very useful website that you can find official, mostly free stopovers in France - https://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?pays=FRANCE

Some have facilities, some don’t. Depends what you fancy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back