Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storing VW California on drive for 3 months

P

POGGY

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi I am going away for 3 months and leaving our van on the drive - does anybody have advice about keeping batteries ok whilst away thanks for any advice.

Hi I am going away for 3 months and leaving our van on the drive - does anybody have advice about keeping batteries ok whilst away thanks for any advice.
Leave it plugged into the Mains with or without a timer. That will keep the Leisure batteries charged.
Engine battery although trickle charged from the California charger post about 2012 or later, this is not by design, so you have problem, but could use a 2 nd charger on a timer to keep that battery in good condition.

The alternative would be Solar Panel wired to charge Leisure and Engine batteries.

Another option, just charge batteries fully & then disconnect them completely. They should be ok for three months with nothing at all draining them.

If going away for 3 months don't forget the tyres. The rubber will undergo "compression set" over a period of time - might get away with three months not sure. If this happens the tyres will have a flat spot which may or may not round out when moved. If it does happen drive slowly to start with as putting too much pressure onto the "set" part can cause the rubber to split. If possible can someone move it for you occasionally during your trip?

If going away for 3 months don't forget the tyres. The rubber will undergo "compression set" over a period of time - might get away with three months not sure. If this happens the tyres will have a flat spot which may or may not round out when moved. If it does happen drive slowly to start with as putting too much pressure onto the "set" part can cause the rubber to split. If possible can someone move it for you occasionally during your trip?
Thank you for the good advice

Leave it plugged into the Mains with or without a timer. That will keep the Leisure batteries charged.
Engine battery although trickle charged from the California charger post about 2012 or later, this is not by design, so you have problem, but could use a 2 nd charger on a timer to keep that battery in good condition.

The alternative would be Solar Panel wired to charge Leisure and Engine batteries.
Thank you for the advice

My van was made in late Dec 2019. It then waited for 2 months for a tow bar, then covid arrived. Finally collected it in July 2020. No issues at all 11,000 miles later. I am sure VW left it for months at a time.

If you have a tyre inflator at home you could over-inflate the tyres before you go (to the max pressure marked on the sidewall) and that will minimise the chance of any permanent flat spotting.

If you leave the handbrake on the pads will probably seize to the discs, and/or the calipers might seize on, although unlikely to do any major damage.

Sorry, just re-read you were asking about batteries so apols for thread creep but maybe useful anyway. :)

I’m pretty sure I often leave mine for 3 months quite regularly and owned it since 2009. The battery died after 11 years and tyres did get cracks after 8 years. The handbrake has never seized on. Ours is often sat for very long periods. I’m sure the above advice is valid but I’m tempted to say it will all be fine. I doubt mine will move before February half term….

You can buy tyre saver ramps for caravans, used when in long term storage.
Could you use four of these for a Cali? The difference in weight may be an issue though.

Alan

You can buy tyre saver ramps for caravans, used when in long term storage.
Could you use four of these for a Cali? The difference in weight may be an issue though.

Alan
A word of caution. I put those under my old car, in the garage, and thought that I'd just drive out of them. They acted like chocks and the driven axle 'fired' the ones out like a pair of torpedos.
Either need screwing down or jack wheels up to remove before driving off.:mad:

Reactions: SFO
Another variation==
I've started to put covers on my wheels to keep rain and U/V out. Standard 17" & 18" tyres are 27" diameter

Last edited:
Another option, just charge batteries fully & then disconnect them completely. They should be ok for three months with nothing at all draining them.
all batteries self discharge. The main one to worry about is not the 'liesure' one but the main starter battery. I am about to do similar and am now thinking I must drain the cold water tank! and mount on bricks to save the tyres/.////... just take the thing on the trip!

Be aware of the damage that rodents can do it they start nesting in your Cali. Cost me a new injector wiring loom.

Back