Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storms tomorrow and Wednesday, would you go ?

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Storms are forecast on the west of the UK, including Anglesea with gusts of 45 mph,where we are supposed to be heading tomorrow.
We need the pop top for our two girls.
We are desperate to go away but we've not experienced weather like this in the van, would you go ?

We have just come home early from Oban for the same reason, we didn't want to risk damage to the roof.

If we didn't have the kids we would go as we wouldn't need the pop top!

NO. It's just not worth the risk. You won't get any sleep. What with the worry and the noise. A couple of days to stay in front of the TV with popcorn.
Unfortunately we are off to Cornwall for 4 days, and I don't want to go, and we are staying in a hotel!
Make life easy not difficult.

Storms are forecast on the west of the UK, including Anglesea with gusts of 45 mph,where we are supposed to be heading tomorrow.
We are desperate to go away but we've not experienced weather like this in the van, would you go ?
Ask the campsite if they have any sheltered pitches eg big hedge/tree/building block. Also park the van with the rear taking the wind direction.
I’m sure your kids will love the adventure, no such thing as bad weather just wrongly set up or incorrect clothes.
Weather guys/girls aren’t always right either:thumb
Gorgeous sunshine in cairngorms app says it’s raining

I would not risk it personally, we were literally just saying that if we were away now then we would be packing up to go home.

Ask the campsite if they have any sheltered pitches eg big hedge/tree/building block. Also park the van with the rear taking the wind direction.
I’m sure your kids will love the adventure, no such thing as bad weather just wrongly set up or incorrect clothes.
Weather guys/girls aren’t always right either:thumb
Gorgeous sunshine in cairngorms app says it’s raining
We are trying to work out how bad it will actually be... We are on East Anglesey and the wind is S or SW so maybe it won't be as bed there

It’s a yellow weather warning for the whole of the South West and wales with winds up to 55mph. Not going to pleasant at all. A warning has been issued on the local South West news for campers in Devon and Cornwall so not too far as the crow flys to Anglesey.

Yellow Warning on the Met site for wind on Anglesey Tues & Weds.

As previously advised, sleeping will be disrupted.
Potential damage to the elevated roof.

If the campsite cannot offer a sheltered placement, consider seeking a suitable 'wild' site.
They can be found. Or, is there a pub offering overnight to campers who can put you next to a building?

Had anyone on here ever had a roof damaged by high winds?
I haven't heard of anyone yet. I've also got to think about flying objects on the campsite, the girls are vulnerable in the pop top and the van could get hit by something. I have heard stories of people getting hit by stuff in tents when there have been gales

I haven't heard of anyone yet. I've also got to think about flying objects on the campsite, the girls are vulnerable in the pop top and the van could get hit by something. I have heard stories of people getting hit by stuff in tents when there have been gales
Tbh if you feeling a little vulnerable don’t go. You’ll just worry constantly.

Just a thought, would it be possible for the girls to sleep downstairs and you sleep upstairs?

Just a thought, would it be possible for the girls to sleep downstairs and you sleep upstairs?
We had high winds on Sunday in Wales. I didn’t sleep much (up every 15 minutes) because of high winds and rocking, and these weren’t 45 mph winds. I personally wouldn’t enjoy it so would call it off, but it’s up to you.

Rather than going and feeling stressed the whole time, perhaps you could visit a different part of the country?

Only you can decide because it's your stuff ... but we've been out plenty of times with 45mph gusts, including exposed coast areas and we have not had any problems. My kids have slept in the roof fine. We have the hydraulic roof which is very rigid when up ( only saying that because I don't know how a manual roof locks in so might be different if anyone has that ?) We would definitely go. Not sure where I would draw the line though, maybe 60mph gusts ???

My biggest worry would be the drive there & back, gusty winds means more than usual overturned wobble boxes.

I think we are going to stay at home, we were booked in for 5 nights so will just go on Thursday for 3 nights when the winds have calmed down a bit We've already paid for the campsite (£250) so I'm a bit reluctant to pay for another campsite towards the East

Had anyone on here ever had a roof damaged by high winds?

Nope, been in 55mph + in Cornwall a couple of years ago.
But in all honesty, didn’t get any sleep the canvas flapped like mad in those winds and the the van rocked constantly.
I was so knackered in the morning, it really wasn’t worth the effort.
Some mega surf later the next day…

C0B8F58C-FCE7-4919-BA62-F735DDC5C466.jpeg

Last edited:
The problem is if you endure bad (and worsening) weather for a time, when/if you get to the point you decide it’s too much lowering the roof might be very tricky and actually the bit that causes damage (to either the mechanism or the canvas from scissoring)

Depends if you want a pleasant holiday or some kind of endurance test.

Seems like you have come to your answer, which I must say would be my decision also.

It's one thing being caught in very bad weather, but if you know the weather is forecasted bad then you can plan not to go.

We have camped in all weathers. The worst case scenario is that you have to put the roof down. In a Beach all four can wriggle into the lower bed, in an Ocean an adult and two children in the lower bed and an adult in a reclined front seat.

Back