Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange Smell?

M

MichaelRMoore

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Had our Cali since September (18 plate with 25k miles) and all was going fine until just before its inspection service early this year. It suddenly smelt like someone had been smoking in it - but nobody had.
Tried 2 dealers - one said they had removed part of the undertray that was in contact with an exhaust pipe. The other said it was due an air con service and filter change at 2 years and did that.
Neither "guess" has solved the problem.
Anyone come across this issue?

Had our Cali since September (18 plate with 25k miles) and all was going fine until just before its inspection service early this year. It suddenly smelt like someone had been smoking in it - but nobody had.
Tried 2 dealers - one said they had removed part of the undertray that was in contact with an exhaust pipe. The other said it was due an air con service and filter change at 2 years and did that.
Can’t help with that, sorry, but I suggest not using your postcode as your location (assuming it is your postcode). First time you post about a camping trip (eventually) you are telling the world you are away from home and your house is empty. Welcome, by the way!

Last edited:
No just been busy!
Have not had a chance even to follow up on your point. Obviously haven't drilled down far enough.
Still need to know where that smell is coming from though.

No just been busy!
Have not had a chance even to follow up on your point. Obviously haven't drilled down far enough.
Still need to know where that smell is coming from though.
My money is on Loz’s theory. Mine was replaced under warranty at MOT time before I had noticed the fumes but the dealer said it is a known problem. I am surprised that the two dealers you visited were unaware.

Yes I’ve had this and first noticed it after being parked in the multistorey carpark overnight. I thought somebody had thrown a cigarette end down the back of the bonnet. It seems to come and go so I will inspect those hoses. My Cali is two years old. I can’t see any problem in the engine compartment. It occurs to me that the sink waste doesn’t have a trap on it before it enters the waste water tank so I have put the plug in the sink outlet to block any smell coming from there as there was some suggestion of a smell in the sink. I haven’t had an Aircon service so I will get this done next time I go to Exeter.

That smell is almost certainly from EGR. It’s a known problem which VW fix under warranty.

My California is just two years old and I have exact same problem. It smells like cigarettes but nobody has ever smoked in the vehicle which I have had from new and I am the only driver. I have taken it to the van centre in Exeter and they have changed the pollen filter and sanitised the air-conditioning system with some sort of deodorising material. They inspected the exhaust gas recirculation hoses at my request and said there was nothing wrong with them. It still smells. I have searched the van everywhere sticking my nose in all sorts of places and cannot detect the source. I have even inspected the exhaust recirculation hoses myself with a torch and a dental mirror to look right around the circumference and I can see no signs of leaking and there are no visible cracks.Any suggestions would be welcome.

My California is just two years old and I have exact same problem. It smells like cigarettes but nobody has ever smoked in the vehicle which I have had from new and I am the only driver. I have taken it to the van centre in Exeter and they have changed the pollen filter and sanitised the air-conditioning system with some sort of deodorising material. They inspected the exhaust gas recirculation hoses at my request and said there was nothing wrong with them. It still smells. I have searched the van everywhere sticking my nose in all sorts of places and cannot detect the source. I have even inspected the exhaust recirculation hoses myself with a torch and a dental mirror to look right around the circumference and I can see no signs of leaking and there are no visible cracks.Any suggestions would be welcome.
Well at least I know I'm not the only one! I have yet to have the EGR hoses checked, but it is better with air con and recirculating the air internally.

I've had exactly the same "cigarette " smell in my house living room. Finally after months of thinking it was the log burner I accidentally discovered it was an LED bulb which was running hot. Perhaps you have an electric rather than exhaust issue?

Well at least I know I'm not the only one! I have yet to have the EGR hoses checked, but it is better with air con and recirculating the air internally.
Please keep in touch Michael I would love to know if you solve it

Wow so difficult to see! I used a torch and mirror which didn’t give a perfect view but I could see most of the circumference. I didn’t see any cracks or tell-tale corrosion or staining from blowing. Perhaps more can be seen from underneath but I don’t have access to a lift so I suppose I’ll have to try another VW dealer if the smell doesn’t disappear after airing the vehicle in the sunshine with the windows open. Thanks again for your technical knowledge and taking the time to reply.

Have you solved it yet Michael? I’m going to take mine to a different van centre in the hope they find the cause. The rear egr hose is impossible for me to see properly from the bonnet and it wasn’t possible to talk to the technician in EXETER, only the receptionist.

Have you solved it yet Michael? I’m going to take mine to a different van centre in the hope they find the cause. The rear egr hose is impossible for me to see properly from the bonnet and it wasn’t possible to talk to the technician in EXETER, only the receptionist.
Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this ? We’ve had our van about 15 months and it has developed an odd smell, I can only characterise it as a cross between stale cigarettes and something rotting. We’ve cleaned the van out and disinfected, Miltoned the waste and water tank but the smell still remains and hits you when you open any of the doors.

Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this ? We’ve had our van about 15 months and it has developed an odd smell, I can only characterise it as a cross between stale cigarettes and something rotting. We’ve cleaned the van out and disinfected, Miltoned the waste and water tank but the smell still remains and hits you when you open any of the doors.
Replace the cabin air filter. Spared available from your local motor store and easy to do at home. Also check for wet carpets/areas near the foot well as there can be a small water leak from the roof drains and can cause issues in the long term. Pull up the carpet and check.

Another place to check is for any leaks behind the right side kitchen cupboard where you can see the waste water tank. See that the cover is closed correctly. OK to remove and clean and replace the cover.

Mine was the exhaust gas recirculation hoses. Both cracked at different times. One at 3 years old and one at 4 years old. The crack may not be visible.

Mine was the exhaust gas recirculation hoses. Both cracked at different times. One at 3 years old and one at 4 years old. The crack may not be visible.
true, that is also a possibility ... the infamous stink/rotting smell. I would suggest to check that first then. had forgotten about that.

Search for EGR on here ... or look for a pipe like the below to the right side of your engine ... and if engine cold, run your hand against the pipe and check for soot around the pipe ... or visually check for black residue.

1661503245957.png

people on here have replaced the pipe themselves, but is an involved process.

There are 2 don't forget. One front and one rear

If it was the EGR tubes I would expect the smell to be worse when the engine is started and with driving and decrease if the vehicle is left standing but in the members Post 18 it seems to be worse on standing. I would eliminate any undetected water leakage into the vehicle, Pollen filter and sterilise the AirCon system first before in depth examination of the EGR.

As above, But, do you use the AirCon regularly?
If not has the system been sterilised?

talking about EGR pipes ... lo and behold ! I am currently waiting at Breeze Poole getting the van serviced - a major service + the cambelt and waterpump (ouch! that will be expensive), when I get a call from the reception ... "we have noticed a leak in the rear EGR pipe and that will be another £.... " (double ouch now! ) :Nailbiting

Back