Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strava...

Neilgbj

Neilgbj

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
just wondering if there is any interest from fellow Cali owners who cycle in starting a Strava 'club'. Not with a view to being competitive but just for a bit of fun and to share rides, exploits, routes etc? Happy to set it up if enough interest....Cheers Neil

I'm an avid Strava user, I'd join :) , can I include my running and skiing activities !

I am in strava but as a runner , not cyclist.

Use Strava all the time for cycling and hiking. Not sure what we'd gain from a club or how it would work. You'd all be bored with my regular routes around the area. Would there be a way to share routes we've done while away with comments. This might be useful to avoid bad routes or find good ones.

I think I'd only be interested on the basis of being able to selectively share the good, the bad and the ugly.

Also would this work with the freebie version or would it mean subscribing? I'm currently happy with the free version.

I am in strava but as a runner , not cyclist.

Don't think it makes any difference GJ, all you have to do is select the activity type before saving. Although I think only running and cycling show on your activity log, hiking and any other activity doesn't seem to.

To share/download a GPX you need to be a premium member.
I'm a member of a couple already and all that seems to happen is you continue to do your thing and any club members see what you've been up to , like Followers do now. I get notification from say Rapha club when someone I'm following who is a member takes up one of there challenges.

Don't think it makes any difference GJ, all you have to do is select the activity type before saving. Although I think only running and cycling show on your activity log, hiking and any other activity doesn't seem to.
I've never recorded a hike but skiing shows.

just wondering if there is any interest from fellow Cali owners who cycle in starting a Strava 'club'. Not with a view to being competitive but just for a bit of fun and to share rides, exploits, routes etc? Happy to set it up if enough interest....Cheers Neil
A nice idea. My bike is well connected and I use the info especially on climbs. Used to be a runner and was obsessed with distances and times and well everything. I have now moderated

Not got my Cali yet but in the context of this board will probably be good to identify nice rides and share them.

Mike

Thanks for replies, this really can be informal, rides, hikes, running (think it even now includes swimming!), you don't have to be a premium member (I'm not currently) and you can add what you want.....as we all travel all over the place it could be useful for identifying routes etc and can be a good way to share our good (and not so good!) experiences!

I'll set it up later today and see how we get on.....I'll post on here when it's 'live'.

Ok...it's set up with a very original title 'VW Cali Club'! If you do a search it should come up and you should just be able to join.....if it takes off may need a couple more 'admins' but let's not over complicate this at this stage ;)

I'm keen on Strava for cycling, so I'll join.

The way around this is to save the activity, then go into edit and you can choose hike - here's one I made earlier. https://www.strava.com/activities/390544985

Just joined. Sadly struggling to ride now so a lot of 10 or 20min here and there on the VR.

Managed to ride Cwmcarn this weekend (campsite on site). Mind is willing but body is sadly not.

Just joined. Sadly struggling to ride now so a lot of 10 or 20min here and there on the VR.

Managed to ride Cwmcarn this weekend (campsite on site). Mind is willing but body is sadly not.
It doesn't matter how much anyone rides, runs, walks, swims.....always good to see where others are out enjoying themselves!

If anyone is coming to stay with us, I'm happy to suggest some nice routes. Anything from 10 miles including a nice cafe stop up to 60+ miles with some decent hills. :Nailbiting

Hi All, I'm in.
Restricted to Watt Bike in the Gym at the moment pending an op which I won't bore you with.

Look forward to uploading rides. I like hills

Mike

OK. So I joined but can see swimming but not hiking.

Given swimming is normally in a pool, it would be good to see hiking which would be more interesting.

Given swimming is normally in a pool, it would be good to see hiking which would be more interesting.
Hi.....if I am adding a walk/hike I just use the running tab, Strava doesn't currently have anything specific for this but it is very flexible....

Hi Neil ,

I've no problem adding a hike when using strava.

My point was about the club. On the leaderboard there are 3 headings swim time, ride time, run time. It would be better if we could have hike time, ride time, run time.

Complete your activity as a run, upload it and then edit it using the button with the pencil on it, a drop down field will appear and you can choose a different activity.
HTH

Pete, like I said I've no issue with saving activities. And actually it's easier to change the activity type before you save rather than going into the dashboard and editing it.

My issue was with the club leaderboard as per my previous post.

Pete, like I said I've no issue with saving activities. And actually it's easier to change the activity type before you save rather than going into the dashboard and editing it.

My issue was with the club leaderboard as per my previous post.

I see, I'll go look at Strava.

Was quite surprised that the App does not allow you to add Clubs. Did a search and users have been trying to get this for a couple of years. Especially in the bike world which is very techie.

Mike

The leaderboard is what we are given by Strava I'm afraid, the 'run' heading should suffice for walk/hike hopefully.....I'll get in touch with Strava to see if there is anything I can do..... Personally I don't think the 'leaderboard' title is all that helpful for this type of 'club' but at least members can see what others have been up to and share activities/routes etc....