Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strength of nearside Awning rail

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Is the nearside awning rail glued on from factory? how much weight would it hold?

Thanks

It is glued on.

We just met a German Cali-driver in France last week, and he had had his rail come off already two times (refitted under warranty)...
So, it won't hold a whole lot of weight, I'd guess..

I regularly use the Brandrup 20 Li collapsible water filler bottle. This hangs from the nearside rail whilst filling up the tank and since 20Li = 20 Kg this is a fair bit of weight at a single point on the rail. I was a bit nervous at first, but I've been doing this for the last two years with no problem. So I guess VW must fix 'em on pretty well.

What I want to mount is 13kgs on two points about 12 inches apart.

Is it risky? thats a lot less then the 20litres of water from a single point.

Hello,

Just contacted VW dealer concerning the weight ratio of the rail, because I was planning to build and attach a solar shower of +/- 30kg on that rail.
The answer I got is very blurry, but they said that the awning itself has a weight of 25kg ... so they recommended not to exceed 30kg.
So for my project I won't take the risk. Hopefully this is helpfull.

Cheers
Greg

Hello,

Just contacted VW dealer concerning the weight ratio of the rail, because I was planning to build and attach a solar shower of +/- 30kg on that rail.
The answer I got is very blurry, but they said that the awning itself has a weight of 25kg ... so they recommended not to exceed 30kg.
So for my project I won't take the risk. Hopefully this is helpfull.

Cheers
Greg
The awning may only weigh 30 kg but then Thule sells side and front screens that are subject to wind pressure. People on here have left awnings out in heavy rain and water accumulated to such an extent that the legs collapsed, no mention of damage to the rail.

The awning may only weigh 30 kg but then Thule sells side and front screens that are subject to wind pressure. People on here have left awnings out in heavy rain and water accumulated to such an extent that the legs collapsed, no mention of damage to the rail.
Some of the weight when set up is taken by the legs, including windage.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The awning isn't connected to the rail but to brackets on the roof.
My awning is secured to the vehicle using two brackets, they are formed to rest in a groove on the top of the the rail and a bolt is fitted to each bracket through the rail, see photo.
In what way is it not connected to the rail?

awning bracket.jpg

If you raise the roof you will see the awning brackets fixed to the
bodywork with 3 torx bolts each.

So the torx bolts on the front do not go through the rail?
No they don´t go through the rail, they are short bolts screwed into a
flat nut which you can slide out of the track when removing the awning
and brackets. These are not the main fixings of the awning.

So the torx bolts on the front do not go through the rail?
See Here. The Bolts that go through the awning, through the bracket into a square sliding nut inside the rail.
Parts 25/20/30
These secure the Awning Cassette to the 2 Brackets which are bolted into the roof, under the Elevating roof section. Parts 15/16 and 23
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 18.00.35.jpg

Hi - resurrecting this old thread - i was wondering if anyone has mounted a solar tube shower onto the nearside awning rail. If so what size and weight have you gone for. I am thinking of mounting a 4" pipe to hold around 15lt /kg of water. Looking further up the thread it seems the rail will hold around 30kg, but as its bonded on there might be a bit of hit / miss in the recommendations. ciao for now

Hi - resurrecting this old thread - i was wondering if anyone has mounted a solar tube shower onto the nearside awning rail. If so what size and weight have you gone for. I am thinking of mounting a 4" pipe to hold around 15lt /kg of water. Looking further up the thread it seems the rail will hold around 30kg, but as its bonded on there might be a bit of hit / miss in the recommendations. ciao for now
The weight of the awning from factory is taken not on the awning rail but on the roof on two points like this. This photo is on the right side of the vehicle.
442A944C-4D3B-43A6-98AA-56594F4922C1.jpeg
On the left side of the vehicle, unfortunately there are no such fixing points.

58C2ECD6-F3FA-43BB-B079-6D62FFAD0A41.jpeg

while the factory awning might be around 30kg, this weight is not carried on the awning rail. I would have no problem with hanging something heavy like a water container on there for short period of time but I would not want to drive with such a weight. The forces could be considerable.
If you don’t have an awning, you could use the roof attachment points and fit one on the right side of the vehicle. Otherwise, a solution for the left side of the vehicle is not as straightforward as you are hoping for I think.

The weight of the awning from factory is taken not on the awning rail but on the roof on two points like this. This photo is on the right side of the vehicle.
View attachment 57211
On the left side of the vehicle, unfortunately there are no such fixing points.

View attachment 57212

while the factory awning might be around 30kg, this weight is not carried on the awning rail. I would have no problem with hanging something heavy like a water container on there for short period of time but I would not want to drive with such a weight. The forces could be considerable.
If you don’t have an awning, you could use the roof attachment points and fit one on the right side of the vehicle. Otherwise, a solution for the left side of the vehicle is not as straightforward as you are hoping for I think.
Thank you for the reply - i see your point and agree the awning is fixed differently / more securely on the off side. I was just wondering if there was a weight limit on the near side - without the additional fixings ?. Many thanks

I’m pretty sure the rail is only bonded to the body so any downward force would tend to lever it off.

Thank you for the reply - i see your point and agree the awning is fixed differently / more securely on the off side. I was just wondering if there was a weight limit on the near side - without the additional fixings ?. Many thanks
The Brandrup waterfill set comes with a 20 litre container & fixing that clips into the nearside rail. These are sold via VW garages. That would imply that 20kg is fine as a static load. Are you proposing something that remains in place whilst driving?
If you are I would suggest using a pair of fiamma or thule awning brackets - the normal ones fit the nearside rather than the special California ones.

Hi there

I am aware that this has been discussed before but my post may have a slightly different angle. Last year the front piece of trim on my Cali came away as I was packing up. I decided today to see if I could self repair. Started to remove the old adhesive/sealant and to my amazement it came out in one piece.....happy days! My question is; what adhesive is likely to have been used as I will probably use the same again. By the way, it was the paint that came away from the body leaving the primer. Will need to sort the paintwork separately even though it is hidden. Photos attached showing the offending item.

F72090BE-0052-48D6-BF64-EB5B453C5070.jpeg

0DBD5F71-9C7D-4F85-A032-1DDD55143C32.jpeg

73B7B1C9-0355-4AE3-BC5B-E05BDCD6618D.jpeg

F57B061C-AFB4-4C58-A3A1-BA42C608C6AC.jpeg

Hi there

I am aware that this has been discussed before but my post may have a slightly different angle. Last year the front piece of trim on my Cali came away as I was packing up. I decided today to see if I could self repair. Started to remove the old adhesive/sealant and to my amazement it came out in one piece.....happy days! My question is; what adhesive is likely to have been used as I will probably use the same again. By the way, it was the paint that came away from the body leaving the primer. Will need to sort the paintwork separately even though it is hidden. Photos attached showing the offending item.

View attachment 60699

View attachment 60700

View attachment 60701

View attachment 60702
Silkaflex seems to be the make of choice, but there are various types and I'm not sure which one you should use.

Hi there

Read this thread.

Back