Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stubborn automatic sliding door

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
My automatic sliding door is becoming increasingly reluctant to close. It frequently gets to about halfway shut, then thinks something's in the way and opens again. Not a huge problem when camping (I tend to switch it off, to avoid the beeping noise), but when you have both hands full of Sainsbury's shopping, or half of a p.a. system, it's bloody annoying! Anybody else have the problem, or know of a solution?

Is it the "fully automatic push the button to close "sliding door or
is it the "close by hand and the last part pulls thight by an engine" sliding door?
They seem to be mixed up by some....

I had exactly the same problem, door getting halfway closed then changing its mind and opening. The VW garage just made a software adjustment now it's fine. I had visions of having to have the door removed etc!

I also have this problem with my automatic door. I tend to lightly (with one finger) pull the handle across as the door is closing and this stops it suddenly stopping and jerking back open.

It doesn't jerk back all the time and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it! I've checked everything is clean and sensors not blocked etc but it still randomly does this.

I did mention this to VW when last in and when they looked at it they couldn't find a fault. As my van is out of warranty I'll just live with having to help the door along when closing!

When ours gets temperamental it is normally a bit of muck in the rail.

When I clean the van I normally rinse out the bottom rail when the door is open with the hose, and also the rail that you can clean when the door is closed.

If it gets temperamental while you are travelling then use a wet wipe to clean out the bottom rail.

Do not be tempted to oil the rails as the oil will attract muck and make the door even grumpier

Is it the "fully automatic push the button to close "sliding door or
is it the "close by hand and the last part pulls thight by an engine" sliding door?
They seem to be mixed up by some....
It's the fully-automatic one.

It's the fully-automatic one.
Was thinking it would be the fully automatic.
So as you can see the two other reactions above seems a common fault with no solution .
Glad i don't got it , can't see any plus on having it either....or you use one hand to open the door or you use one hand to push the button on the remote....
Even the motor that pulls only the last part thight on a manual door i find useles...only added weight and risk of electrical failure.
Think VW better left it behind.

When ours gets temperamental it is normally a bit of muck in the rail.

When I clean the van I normally rinse out the bottom rail when the door is open with the hose, and also the rail that you can clean when the door is closed.

If it gets temperamental while you are travelling then use a wet wipe to clean out the bottom rail.

Do not be tempted to oil the rails as the oil will attract muck and make the door even grumpier
I've cleaned the sensors, but hadn't really put much effort into the rails - I'll try that - thanks.

Was thinkimg it would be the fully automatic.
So as you can see the two other reactions above seems a common fault with no solution .
Glad i don't got it , can't see any plus on having it either....or you use one hand to open the door or you use one hand to push the button on the remote....
Even the motor that pulls only the last part thight on a manual door i find useles...only added weight and risk of electrical failure.
Think VW better left it behind.
Oh, I don't know - I've found it really useful, especially doing gigs when you're going backwards and forwards with both hands full of heavy stuff. Just keeping the key in your hand, you can open the big door as you approach, so you don't have to put anything down. Like so many things - bloody lazy but you miss it when it's gone! Then there's a bit more serious advantage: my wife suffers from arthritis, and finds the door really heavy.

Oh, I don't know - I've found it really useful, especially doing gigs when you're going backwards and forwards with both hands full of heavy stuff. Just keeping the key in your hand, you can open the big door as you approach, so you don't have to put anything down. Like so many things - bloody lazy but you miss it when it's gone! Then there's a bit more serious advantage: my wife suffers from arthritis, and finds the door really heavy.

also find the action of pulling the sliding door open heavy for the same reason.

The automatic is brilliant.

We had a long discussion on this in the forum just as I was ordering Albert, ex demo with an electric door, and I just groaned and wanted to cry as I was certain after reading that thread that I had just bought a lifetime of misery. However just paying attention to cleaning the rails and I have not had a single problem. A damp microfibre shoved into the places where the door slides (excuse me if my technical terms are a bit wayward) seems t work best for me.

Thanks for response regarding electric sliding door, have taken it off the options list. Have had an update regarding est delivery date....which is now, 04/05/2017. The countdown begins !!!!

Back