Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Successful fix - Fridge problem solved

HowieDog

HowieDog

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all

The fridge in our T5 (2006 Cali) had stopped working - the ominous click when attempting to start it with the control panel.

Had already replaced the original leisure batteries recently with Varta LA80s found new on ebay from a supplier in Germany and no other electrical problems. As preiously mentioned, Penguin Refrigeration in Havant were helpful. They sent me the attached diagnostic sheet for the fridge so I could diagnose the problem.

Using a multimeter (and following their instructions) the error was shown as a faulty controller - the multimeter beeped five times, as per the diagnostic instructions.

I'm pretty handy at DIY but not so much mechanical/vehicle electrics, so this was something of a learning curve. Penguin suggested returning the faulty controller and they replaced with new for £105+VAT.

It's a bit awkward to remove and refit, but not impossible. Just undo the screw on the front of the controller, and important to remove the three pin plug that is obscured by the bracket as well as the three plastic electrical connections on the front. Lots of wiggling around and some persuasion with long nosed pliers and it came out. Fitting was the reverse and much easier - fix three pin plug, slide the back in first then the front clicks into place - replace screw.

Turned on the fuse box and fired up the fridge, moment of truth and it worked. has now been running for three days without any issues.

So f you hear the click, check the fault with the diagnotic instructons, and replace the part yourself.

Good luck.
Diagnostic instructions

Attachments

• BD35 BD50 Fault Diagnosis.pdf
    237.6 KB · Views: 219
My friend and I also had problems with his fridge. We used the “Diagnostic Instructions” and found to low voltage at the fridge/Danfoss controller. Battery was good...No obvious bad connections, but we could not check all wiring from battery to the fridge. We decided to route a new cable from the battery, and after that everything worked fine..

Hi all,
I also have a problem with my fridge....it won't switch on & the indicator on the control panel flashes. I have only had the Calli a couple of weeks & not sure about the condition of the batteries....I'm no expert but I don't think they are holding their charge for long. Any help,advice,tips or pointers please.

Where is the controller for the fridge situated, that's the part you replaced?

No not yet, the van is not at home, were off tomorrow & staying at a freinds about 100 miles from home. I'll need to get a 3 pin plug adaptor from halfords or somewhere first in order to try on hook-up from the house.

Hi all

The fridge in our T5 (2006 Cali) had stopped working - the ominous click when attempting to start it with the control panel.

Had already replaced the original leisure batteries recently with Varta LA80s found new on ebay from a supplier in Germany and no other electrical problems. As preiously mentioned, Penguin Refrigeration in Havant were helpful. They sent me the attached diagnostic sheet for the fridge so I could diagnose the problem.

Using a multimeter (and following their instructions) the error was shown as a faulty controller - the multimeter beeped five times, as per the diagnostic instructions.

I'm pretty handy at DIY but not so much mechanical/vehicle electrics, so this was something of a learning curve. Penguin suggested returning the faulty controller and they replaced with new for £105+VAT.

It's a bit awkward to remove and refit, but not impossible. Just undo the screw on the front of the controller, and important to remove the three pin plug that is obscured by the bracket as well as the three plastic electrical connections on the front. Lots of wiggling around and some persuasion with long nosed pliers and it came out. Fitting was the reverse and much easier - fix three pin plug, slide the back in first then the front clicks into place - replace screw.

Turned on the fuse box and fired up the fridge, moment of truth and it worked. has now been running for three days without any issues.

So f you hear the click, check the fault with the diagnotic instructons, and replace the part yourself.

Good luck.
Diagnostic instructions
Great thread, useful information, thanks!

I recently had the same problem with my fridge in 2006 T5. The fridge light turned off immediately after switching on. I heard the 'click' of the relay but the compressor did not switch on.

First I checked the fuses were ok.
Using the diagnostics with a multimeter I also found the controller to be at fault with 5 beeps.

I bought a replacement controller (101N0212) and managed to replace it without removing the fridge... very fiddly, a lot of cursing, but manageable. To remove the 3 screws holding the fridge in place on the kitchen side of the 2006 model was not possible as these are hidden behind a plate under the worktop. I found the hardest part getting the new 3 pin plug back on to the compressor as there is so little space.

Fired it up and the fridge has been working perfectly since.

Thanks for some very useful info, saved an expensive trip to the garage :)

Back