Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suggest a set up for a family with 4 children

simplek1

simplek1

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Looking for suggestions for the ideal set up from you experienced campervanners. I've read so much now and so many difference in opinions, it would be good to have it in one place :) and a shopping list

So we currently have a caravan and 3 boys - 13, 10 and 7. Due to a new arrival due in April, we decided we need a bigger car which led us to a caravelle, then decided if we're going for a caravelle we should go for a beach. The caravan we have is a 4 birth so the plan was to link the caravan and the beach and use it as a bedroom for my two eldest boys.....

We pick our beach up in march and now we are wondering if the caravan is really essential and perhaps we could try a summer with just the beach. We won't get out as much this year with baby, so it will be to provide us with a "get up and go" couple of nights away at a time... ideally with good weather!! The boys just love a field, a camp fire and a BBQ - they'd certainly struggle not having a whole summer without it!

So my three boys are excited at the prospect of sleeping up top together, leaving me and my husband down stairs with baby - does that sound viable?
I have been looking at the Quenchua pop ups to provide additional storage for 2 x car seats and a place to put a pop up unit for clothes and shoes. We also have blow up furniture from the caravan so would probably like to use it for that also. Sound okay? I'm open to the idea of buying two and linking them together.
Do people recommend going for the base second and just parking up close, using the wind out canopy to link it - or do you go for the Air seconds XL that can act like I proper drive away awning?
Are there any other makes that people would recommend? Or any other solutions? Ideally we want speed and ease, so when we are away we can still use the Beach to pop out for the day without to big a job. We've had two summers of a caravan that had a big awning and lots of fuss getting it up and down - so I'm looking forward to the more laid back approach of camper van life

The next issue is toilet during the night - the benefit we have felt the most, having a caravan over a tent (apart from the obvious) is not having to make cold dashes to the the toilet during the night. My eldest son also has an ostomy so dealing with that in the early hours is essential - the thought of having a porta potti in the van doesn't appeal with having so many of us sharing the space. Are there any suggestions that maintain privacy and dignity?

We also enjoy an early night in the caravan - particularly if it's a naff evening - and watching Tv! What solutions have people come up with for this? Of course we also enjoy a game of cards, playing a board game etc. But it's on those occasions where you just want to chill!

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and building a shopping list ready for taking ownership

Cooking - we have a cadac at present as we tend to not cook in the caravan all that much... is that an okay solution to cooking?

Water - do you just have one of the big water carriers with a tap?

Sounds like a bit of a squeeze TBH, it may be OK for short weekends but anything longer I feel you may end up killing each other! Have you considered a drive away awning with an intergrated bedroom?

Sounds like a bit of a squeeze TBH, it may be OK for short weekends but anything longer I feel you may end up killing each other! Have you considered a drive away awning with an intergrated bedroom?

Would you believe me if I said we all get on really well... wherever anyone is in our house we always end up being together - usually in the smallest room of the house. I'm sure it will change as the boys get older but for now the thought of a small space doesn't scare me in the slightest :)

A bedroom in the awning is a definite purchase for warmer nights....

Six persons in a Cali with luggage ...that deserves a award!
Gonna need to take not much stuff each i guess.
You could try summercamping combined with a tent , using a trailer to carry stuff
Winters you cold use the caravan ( thats is if you plan to keep it)
Water, food for six a lot of weight combined with luggage and persons weight you would be overloaded imo.

I think you will be OK in cold weather but when it gets hot you may need to reconsider, also three boys up top may be a little on the tight side, especially for the 13 year old. Tent or drive away awning would be essential in case anyone needs to escape.

As HC says luggage will be the big problem, especially if you decide to take a drive away awning or tent with you, you will end up needing a roof box I would think.

I would seriously consider hiring one before you comit as if you are used to a Caravan you will be shocked at how little space you have in a Cali.

Food and water doesn't worry me as we will get it once there.... luggage, it will be short breaks so we won't need much more than the essentials. We have toyed with the idea of a trailer for longer stays but I fear this will disrupt the campervan freedom I am looking for

If I was mum, I dont think I would want to share such a combined space with four males and a baby !!

A Quenchua Shelter is much smaller than a drive away awning so that's why I thought this would be a better option

Why do you say that @Adamvanman ? Being close to my family at the weekend is what gets me through my weeks at work...

I think he may be referring to the male odour in a combined space?

Ha ha... I have been blessed with no sense of smell - someone was certainly looking after me

To be honest for a short weekend say two nights you will probably get away with it seeing that you all get on so well and also space wise it would be beneficial in my opinion to consider a trailer as well you can get quite a lot of things in a beach/ Ocean we occasionally use a trailer for summer holidays and you still have the freedom of the campervan it's just used for carrying additional stuff. :thumb

To be honest for a short weekend say two nights you will probably get away with it seeing that you all get on so well and also space wise it would be beneficial in my opinion to consider a trailer as well you can get quite a lot of things in a beach/ Ocean we occasionally use a trailer for summer holidays and you still have the freedom of the campervan it's just used for carrying additional stuff. :thumb

Thank you... a small trailer is definitely a very good idea. I hadn't really thought about that, but it makes a lot of sense

Not wishing to sound negative but having owned numerous campers including A class Hymers I buy the most suitable vehicle for my use and wonder if some are enchanted by the Volkswagen without considering other panel van conversions of larger size which might be a more prudent purchase. There are several larger panel van conversions which I would not hesitate in purchasing if I were carrying a larger complement.
If it were to be your only vehicle then I can see the wisdom in the California however if you have more than one vehicle and intend long periods of extended travel definitely hire before buying. That said my Ocean this is my fourth Volkswagen and I love it.

A bit of a squeeze, I'd keep the caravan as well, gives you lots of options then. It's not just about the sleeping arrangements. Five and a baby would have better cooking, toilet, lounging facilities etc. with the caravan. Use the Beach for out and about, weekends, small trips.

Looking for suggestions for the ideal set up from you experienced campervanners. I've read so much now and so many difference in opinions, it would be good to have it in one place :) and a shopping list

So we currently have a caravan and 3 boys - 13, 10 and 7. Due to a new arrival due in April, we decided we need a bigger car which led us to a caravelle, then decided if we're going for a caravelle we should go for a beach. The caravan we have is a 4 birth so the plan was to link the caravan and the beach and use it as a bedroom for my two eldest boys.....

We pick our beach up in march and now we are wondering if the caravan is really essential and perhaps we could try a summer with just the beach. We won't get out as much this year with baby, so it will be to provide us with a "get up and go" couple of nights away at a time... ideally with good weather!! The boys just love a field, a camp fire and a BBQ - they'd certainly struggle not having a whole summer without it!

So my three boys are excited at the prospect of sleeping up top together, leaving me and my husband down stairs with baby - does that sound viable?
I have been looking at the Quenchua pop ups to provide additional storage for 2 x car seats and a place to put a pop up unit for clothes and shoes. We also have blow up furniture from the caravan so would probably like to use it for that also. Sound okay? I'm open to the idea of buying two and linking them together.
Do people recommend going for the base second and just parking up close, using the wind out canopy to link it - or do you go for the Air seconds XL that can act like I proper drive away awning?
Are there any other makes that people would recommend? Or any other solutions? Ideally we want speed and ease, so when we are away we can still use the Beach to pop out for the day without to big a job. We've had two summers of a caravan that had a big awning and lots of fuss getting it up and down - so I'm looking forward to the more laid back approach of camper van life

The next issue is toilet during the night - the benefit we have felt the most, having a caravan over a tent (apart from the obvious) is not having to make cold dashes to the the toilet during the night. My eldest son also has an ostomy so dealing with that in the early hours is essential - the thought of having a porta potti in the van doesn't appeal with having so many of us sharing the space. Are there any suggestions that maintain privacy and dignity?

We also enjoy an early night in the caravan - particularly if it's a naff evening - and watching Tv! What solutions have people come up with for this? Of course we also enjoy a game of cards, playing a board game etc. But it's on those occasions where you just want to chill!

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and building a shopping list ready for taking ownership

West town our quite large caravan

We tow our caravan with the calling. ..best of both worlds

I love your enthusiasm!

Are you going to have to fit an additional seat as the standard beach will only seat 5 people max in standard format. In that case you will have to move the seat outside in order to accommodate the downstairs bed comfortably. Personally I would go for one of the bigger Vango drive away tents in your situation. I wouldn't rely on the wind out awning a lot as in my experience the use of it is quite weather dependent. In high winds it is much safer to have the awning stowed away as they can very easily be wrapped around the vehicle, we use extra tie down straps with ours even in light winds.

If you keep your caravan initially then you have a good set up to accommodate all comfortably and if you find the Beach works then you could switch to the drive away tent with a sleeping pod or two.

Not wishing to sound negative but having owned numerous campers including A class Hymers I buy the most suitable vehicle for my use and wonder if some are enchanted by the Volkswagen without considering other panel van conversions of larger size which might be a more prudent purchase. There are several larger panel van conversions which I would not hesitate in purchasing if I were carrying a larger complement.
If it were to be your only vehicle then I can see the wisdom in the California however if you have more than one vehicle and intend long periods of extended travel definitely hire before buying. That said my Ocean this is my fourth Volkswagen and I love it.

I have a shop so having a van (albeit a very beautiful van) and using it as my everyday vehicle for the school run etc, is the plan - my husband then has a golf as his company car, which won't fit all of us in now I would love a hymer (a classic hymer) one day but it will have to be when it is a third vehicle.

A bit of a squeeze, I'd keep the caravan as well, gives you lots of options then. It's not just about the sleeping arrangements. Five and a baby would have better cooking, toilet, lounging facilities etc. with the caravan. Use the Beach for out and about, weekends, small trips.

The mist is certainly starting to clear; reading your comment is perfectly in line with what me and my husband have decided today... nothing is forever and we certainly don't need to rush to lose the caravan. The beach can provide fair weather nights away, but if he is happy towing with the beach than it offers us the perfect setup! We've had a Land Rover discovery which has been the ideal towing vehicle for our first experience, so a bit nervous of the difference we will feel towing with the beach

I love your enthusiasm!

Are you going to have to fit an additional seat as the standard beach will only seat 5 people max in standard format. In that case you will have to move the seat outside in order to accommodate the downstairs bed comfortably. Personally I would go for one of the bigger Vango drive away tents in your situation. I wouldn't rely on the wind out awning a lot as in my experience the use of it is quite weather dependent. In high winds it is much safer to have the awning stowed away as they can very easily be wrapped around the vehicle, we use extra tie down straps with ours even in light winds.

If you keep your caravan initially then you have a good set up to accommodate all comfortably and if you find the Beach works then you could switch to the drive away tent with a sleeping pod or two.

Thank you for your advise on the awning - it's good to learn from experienced campers to try and avoid making too many mistakes :)
I think the caravan will stay for now (it's just an extra cost once you add storage, insurance, servicing etc) Ny husband is nervois about towing with the beach, but maybe we just get a teeny 2 birth camper to provide the facilities we need

Some really good positive words - thank you

Thank you for your advise on the awning - it's good to learn from experienced campers to try and avoid making too many mistakes :)
I think the caravan will stay for now (it's just an extra cost once you add storage, insurance, servicing etc) Ny husband is nervois about towing with the beach, but maybe we just get a teeny 2 birth camper to provide the facilities we need

Some really good positive words - thank you[/QUOTE]

We tow a six berth caravan with a Caravelle with no issues just get him to do a dummy run with the caravan even I was nervous first time I'm sure he will be okay with it.

How about an Eriba, not the cheapest caravan but very small and easy to tow, actually so easy to tow you can forget it's on the back!!

I only have two boys so can't compare but having been to the Caravan show in Glasgow last weekend and looking at a some of the larger Vango drive always I think you could drop the caravan in time. You might need a roof box or bike rack with carry bag to carry the extra luggage but it should be manageable. Alternative as previously suggested you could use a trailer.

@Geoff York and @Gary&Heather its good to know we're not alone towing with a beach... :) have you found an awning That can connect the two together, so you have a central area in the middle? My initial idea was to have the 2 olderboys sleeping in the beach