Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Summer 2017 Planning Sardinia & back via Italy

Gavinskii

Gavinskii

Vehicle
T5 Beach
As per thread title, I am going to be in Spain mid to late June (where I have plans), then planning to take ferry from Barcelona to Sardinia for 7-9 days and then the ferry to Naples (to take in Sorrento, Vesuvius, Herculaneum) and then what ever else I can squeeze it which is amazing before heading back to UK (probably via Germany and Belgium).

Can anyone give me some pointers on places to go and stay in Sardinia (very happy to stay in Cali, or to mix it up with a few hotels).

Ditto, West Coast of Italy heading North - what is a must do, which I may not have thought of?

You must visit this campsite, set inside a slightly active volcano. As you can see entrance is ok for Cali but not for white monsters.
Campeggio Vulcano Solfatara
Via Solfatara, 161
80078, Pozzuoli (NA)
GPS: N 40° 49' 39.090'' - E 14° 8' 7.010''

tratto da (taken from): http://www.camping.it/english/campania/vulcanosolfatara/
IMG_1009.jpg IMG_1038.jpg

As per thread title, I am going to be in Spain mid to late June (where I have plans), then planning to take ferry from Barcelona to Sardinia for 7-9 days and then the ferry to Naples (to take in Sorrento, Vesuvius, Herculaneum) and then what ever else I can squeeze it which is amazing before heading back to UK (probably via Germany and Belgium).

Can anyone give me some pointers on places to go and stay in Sardinia (very happy to stay in Cali, or to mix it up with a few hotels).

Ditto, West Coast of Italy heading North - what is a must do, which I may not have thought of?
You must visit Lucca in Tuscany. On the way you can spend a couple of hours visiting the tower at Pisa but ignore the town. Locals in Tuscany gave us this advice and said to ignore Florence, so we did.

You will pass Rome, we stayed in Tivoli and caught the tube for a couple of Euros into Rome. Best part of our 3 week tour of Italy. Even took our Border Terrier on the tube. Fill water bottles at the Collesium for free, I swear it was holy water, tasted great.

You must visit Lucca in Tuscany. On the way you can spend a couple of hours visiting the tower at Pisa but ignore the town. Locals in Tuscany gave us this advice and said to ignore Florence, so we did.

You will pass Rome, we stayed in Tivoli and caught the tube for a couple of Euros into Rome. Best part of our 3 week tour of Italy. Even took our Border Terrier on the tube. Fill water bottles at the Collesium for free, I swear it was holy water, tasted great.
Funny, we had the opposite advice - forget Pisa and go to Florence unless of course your interested in see the Leaning Tower. They build on proper foundations in Florence.:D

Funny, we had the opposite advice - forget Pisa and go to Florence unless of course your interested in see the Leaning Tower. They build on proper foundations in Florence.:D
Not to confuse but to clarify, hopefully; I was told to avoid Pisa town and visit Lucca instead but we did visit the tower and enjoyed the 2 hours we spent there. Florence is probably Okay but the Tuscans we were staying with advised if short of days visit Lucca not Florence.

To be fair we spent 3 weeks touring all regions of Italy and by far enjoyed Tuscany the most.

We were tent camping and saw all the California's arriving on our sites so it turned into an expensive holiday as that is what set us off. :)

Sardines are the origins and as soon as I return there in that beautiful land.
Probably next year, having bought the new Cali we'll go with it.
Do not miss the beaches of the Oristano area, Mari Ermi and Maimoni and Tharros.
In the South of Sardinia to see the Chia beach while in the North the wild area from Alghero to Stintino and the 'Island of La Maddalena with pink rocks that is fascinating. In part that looks to the East by further explore the beach and oasis Bidderosa, a true paradise. Anyway, Sardinia is very diverse and different from the rest of 'Italy.
I advise you to visit Tuscany, principally around Pienza and the Val d'Orcia and the Crete Senesi. Here then you eat well ....
regards

Sardines are the origins and as soon as I return there in that beautiful land.
Probably next year, having bought the new Cali we'll go with it.
Do not miss the beaches of the Oristano area, Mari Ermi and Maimoni and Tharros.
In the South of Sardinia to see the Chia beach while in the North the wild area from Alghero to Stintino and the 'Island of La Maddalena with pink rocks that is fascinating. In part that looks to the East by further explore the beach and oasis Bidderosa, a true paradise. Anyway, Sardinia is very diverse and different from the rest of 'Italy.
I advise you to visit Tuscany, principally around Pienza and the Val d'Orcia and the Crete Senesi. Here then you eat well ....
regards
Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated :)

I agree with Alter and I add Arbatax and Tortolì with their caves, the Iglesiente in the south-west with his coast and the wild Piscinas, the island of Carloforte and the white and long beaches of Costa Rei. Don't forget that Sardinia is not only sea. You ought to go to a country festival in the backcountry (Sedilo e Bosa)
Regrds

Thanks for all the info and do keep it coming!!
Unfortunately, I worked out that I just don't have the spare holiday days to do this trip justice in the Cali, therefore I am going to fly straight in and out of Olbia (Sardinia) and hire a car and just spend just over 2 weeks touring about the island.
So I will be looking at hotels / guest houses so if any of you experienced travellers want to suggest an itinerary or want to recommend places to stay as well as visit...I'm listening :thumb

I can advise a route in the western part of Sardinia, to go smoothly in time at your disposal.
Arriving at Olbia with the 'plane, if it is not too late, after renting the' car (with Sardinya company rent there are good rates ..) moved directly on the west coast towards Alghero (city must visit) and go to stay from my friends who run an authentic farmhouse in Palmadula, near Stintino.
And 'the Farm Finagliosu.
Then you can go down south along the scenic coast road to Bosa and super to see the Sinis and its beaches you can stay in Baratili San Pietro all 'Farm Sa Pramma or San Vero Milis to' Farmhouse Mulino Betzu.
All 'inside to see the Giara, a Sardinian high plateau with wild horses, you can stay in Pauli Arbarei to' Farmhouse Su Boschettu.
Do not miss the Piscinas area and here, just below Montevecchio, there 's Farm Sa Tanca. A Montevecchio ask Carmelo Giordano, produces and sells on knives ..
All listed farms were visited by me and guaranteed to Finagliosu are casa..e are all on the Web.
You can reserve you another route for the next vacation in the East and South zone, otherwise you can not enjoy quietly all that Sardinia has to offer ..
regards

Hello Alter, thank you so much for taking the time to give me some ideas for my first holiday in Sardinia.
I have looked at some of these locations on the web now and we are starting to get excited.
Grazie

Back