Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Summer Solar Updates - new panels , connectors, and cables

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all, we are now back to 100% black panels which are madte with Dual EFTE - back and front. This will stay that way for the foreseable future. Supply permitting.

Photo kindly donated by a Belgian customer, Mr PV (really, that's his initials!)
Cali roof dual black.jpg

They feature a very neat cable exit box and perform superbly.

Current stock is 120w. When they run out we will revert to 100w for the foreseable future. We are now having our own panels made (exactly same as above but 100w) which are currently on the water and due here late July. This will allow me to predict stock 100% accurately (as I'm having it made just for us!) and have consistency of appearance and performance over the long term.

We have ditched the superseal connectors and moved an industry standard Amphenol waterproof connector (compatible with deutsch). These are considerably more expensive, but have a great pin aligning and locking mechanism meaning there is no chance of bending the pins when pushing together, and they are tested to 1000's of disconnect/reconnects (not by me!). They are also a little less bulky. (they also push together with a very satisfying precise click!)

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6062.JPG

I have also shortened the curly cord coiled section by approx 10cm to allow a bit more tension to it when the roof is down. We also have the outer insulation stripped at source now so no more small "nicks" in the inner insulation - harmless, but still, now eradicated, and a frustrating job now made obsolete for my relieved assistant!. We also do a much much shorter version for Marco Polos - we do a kit for them too.

Finally, all the washers are now stainless steel. I noticed that the zinc coated ones rusted pretty quickly. Quickly enough that they rusted in the box in our workshop!

Enjoy the sun!

Hi Roger, these look great.

Could you provide a bit more information (and possibly photos) on each of the charger options. What are the benefits/drawbacks of each?

Also, have you heard of any warranty issues around fitting solar panels to (relatively) new vans?

All the best.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

This pages tells you everything you need to know (they all perform the same, it's just how the information is displayed)

Great, thanks.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi Roger. Is it possible to spec which contacts exactly you are using? I like to change contacts from the older ones because sometimes when I connect them they dont align properly.

Hi - no problem. These are teh part numbers you need to make a male, and a female connector. (You can take the "GRN" off the part AT04-2P as that is colour specific, and take the 654 off all the part numbers as that's a Mouser specific number. Farnell and RS sell them singulary.

They are generically known as Amphenol AT2 series

1596443078391.png

Great thank you. May I ask what you crimp with? I found the Amphenol tool is 800£ here and a bit much :)

Back