Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Setting:
- California SE
- 2 adults, 1 kid (3 years)
- 2 weeks
- both vaccinated
- 1 longer stay (5 days) in Tirol (Austria), some other days around.
- we like sun, sea, food, cycling, walking

First night in Alpencamping Nenzing Austria:
f10e1cd5ae78e17151634cb7fb10b62a.jpg

Booked 1 day in advanced, nice pitch, wonderful pool, sure more expensiv than wildcamping and he you need to buy a "pickrl" for ten days however worth it.

The next day we drove through Arlbergtunnel (I know scenic road over the pass) but sometime with kids it's more about getting there than how you get there.
Arrived at Gerhardhof in Tirol, nice camping next to a farmhouse with horses, a swimming pool and right in the middle of a forest and about 40 minutes busride from Innsbruck.
72f07dbdf2b07b124bfeb2de8c032700.jpg

We stayed here for 5 nights as mentioned before and went horse riding, walking, cycling (Thule Chariot is ace), swimming and visited Innsbruck once.
Café Moustache for some vegetarian food and tapas: http://www.cafe-moustache.at/
9a61bd56ddb2cb1f4c8a4e37376ccc8e.jpg

We saw some of the best facilities at Gerhardhof with some "bathrooms" size of a regulat bathroom in a flat (well compared to our flat). And the bathrooms are all together perfect for families.
45b1de22aa6c22617df3d45523bc3a40.jpg

934f41dede83227fcd8e0df8d9d9f699.jpg

TV fun fact: In Wildermieming next to Gerhardhof was the filmset of the "Bergdoktor".https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Der_Bergdoktor_(1992_TV_series)

Last edited:
I love that area of Austria. There’s so much to do round there.
Campsite looks fab, need to check that one out. Definitely adding to my Instagram favourites.
Thanks for the pics :thumb

Next stop was Ljubljana - still one of our favourite capitals in Europe. We stayed at ChaCha rooms opposite the "Dragon Bridge" and with the parking Kapitelj a perfect spot to explore the city! https://www.chacharooms.com
a1cda4e24a7a341363d33e9b3286fef2.jpg

ff0fb316579a18926e089e99d703d2d8.jpg

6351c3fb9a31534806b378fe00279987.jpg

We had dinner at Gostilna Vida and some "orange wine". My wife was super happy to try out new wine as she works in a wineshop.
(food: sparerips, poke bowl and some thai rolls: https://gostilnavida.com)
We picked this restaurant because our son could easy walk around and explore when bored the Gornji trg nearby.

Last edited:
Next stop: Otok Krk!
From Ljubljana we took the 106 to Delnice. We wanted to avoid the coast roads and it worked - almost. Had to wait at the boarder for about 1h. However travelling in a California means: Fresh/cold water for everyone and enough room to walk around or switch places to play games.
097eb22302c0dd37713879e7b87b218e.jpg

Beside: We try to travel without TV/iPad (when driving) and give him his musicbox, books, pens and paper. It sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't but hey we are not often in a rush so we take our time.

Making me think about replanning the route to Croatia in September, going down Vienna, Zagreb, Split, may have to try Ljubljana on the way back up! Keep it coming.

Making me think about replanning the route to Croatia in September, going down Vienna, Zagreb, Split, may have to try Ljubljana on the way back up! Keep it coming.

Sounds like a wonderfull trip! Look forward to read more about it!

Last edited:
Nice trip. My kids are now 13 and 11, time flies. We had them dictate what to do on our holiday in Gotland so it was mostly swimming in lagoons the two weeks.

Travelling to Krk is always special with the long bridge (since 2020 free of charge/toll). Like entering a new area coming from the hills down to sea level.
Here again we had some slow travel and arrived at Aminessa Atea Camping - first we were kinda shocked and needed some time to adjust: Comparing with Gerhardhof this camping is huge.
d6d3a5b3d3476905a13b710552a2d706.jpg

However we wanted to see/swim in the sea and here we go. https://www.aminess.com/en/aminess-atea-camping-resort
We stayed here for 3 nights at a standart pitch and it was more than enough room for our van plus playtent (the one I mentioned in another thread: Decathlon sometimg around €100) and still some room to play.

Did we like it or do we recommend this camping? Not easy to answer!

Pros:
- Shade! Quite every pitch we walked by was next to a tree or partly with shade (at some point during the day). That is super important. Bot only travelling with kids/dogs.
- You get what you book. We had no surprises when checking out. No hidden fees or costs.
- Special areas for kids (playground. BUT no shade!) and part of the beach is for dog owners.
- A 10 minute walk to the next town Njivice (only small market)
82fc66435311b7b44b6e21f3e38ddd89.jpg

- Entering Krk from the land it is close by the bridge (a plus IMO)
- Sea is clear and looks better than let's say in Umag.
- Facilities are good/newest block superb!

Cons:
- Well if you are looking for something like this and you have to travel in summer too: then there are not so many reasons not to visit/try out such a large place.
- It is big. Like it or not, we knew it, and then realised it. In the end we quite liked it. Had some great neighbors to be honest and that helped alot.

Went to port of Njivice to have some "seafood".
Was nice and food was okay
bb81db2eb43e486273d4958016e864bc.jpg

View attachment IMG_3518.jpeg

Last edited:
After 3 nights we went back to Ljubljana (same route) to visit the castle and looking for the princess. It is definitely worth taking the lift from town to the castle! Stayed again at the same place and enjoyed the night life and the differences between camping and hostel/room.
We had some great food at vino and ribe! And again we def like the city and IMO it is child friendly and there are plenty of activities to do traveling with kids. Culture, history and exploring!

At Škuc galerija (I think? Please help me out here Slovenian members) we had the chance to see a play on a stage for kids. Our boy was fascinated although we did not understand a word (however as far as we saw it was about 3 magicians with a farting - spell). We liked it a lot!
79E2D3A0-12EF-47A4-A17E-2046886C425C.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG288A2EED-6A0A-403B-AACC-614E5C879F0C.JPGIMG_0058.JPG

To finish our trip this year we went on to Camp Spîk.
We like this site and it is a 20 min bike ride to Kranjska Gora, has a great playground and decent facilities.
4c14c875351f4781807b3514bf2e7153.jpg

There is plenty of room for everyone and we picked again a spot close to the one we had 2 years ago (they predicted again some heavy rain. And it rained a lot one night).
We went twice to the town and I can recommend this place for all sort of sports like hiking, mtb or horse riding.
There are some great trails for mtb as well as special walking trails for families.
e7283a594b79bef7092d0518512ccd36.jpg

c32a76bcd8b1f8431ae127e6f10675ec.jpg

7c2fe3771ace7cdb3a1aef2092042f1f.jpg

1929a4a9a2324ebef5583db25bfa3f68.jpg

9bb3a027029e71accd6d2d4642fb1217.jpg

There are various ticket options (4hours for €22).
To return to Munich we took the Wurzenpass to enter Austria and then the straight road to Munich (A10 in Austria do not forget the toll and then A8 in Germany). no major traffic and just a few minutes at the boarder.
c6ee0b84a1019de72ffa0a250a8a28b6.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant report… did you have to book any of the sites ahead of arrival.

Setting:
- California SE
- 2 adults, 1 kid (3 years)
- 2 weeks
- both vaccinated
- 1 longer stay (5 days) in Tirol (Austria), some other days around.
- we like sun, sea, food, cycling, walking

First night in Alpencamping Nenzing Austria:
f10e1cd5ae78e17151634cb7fb10b62a.jpg

Booked 1 day in advanced, nice pitch, wonderful pool, sure more expensiv than wildcamping and he you need to buy a "pickrl" for ten days however worth it.

The next day we drove through Arlbergtunnel (I know scenic road over the pass) but sometime with kids it's more about getting there than how you get there.
Arrived at Gerhardhof in Tirol, nice camping next to a farmhouse with horses, a swimming pool and right in the middle of a forest and about 40 minutes busride from Innsbruck.
72f07dbdf2b07b124bfeb2de8c032700.jpg

We stayed here for 5 nights as mentioned before and went horse riding, walking, cycling (Thule Chariot is ace), swimming and visited Innsbruck once.
Café Moustache for some vegetarian food and tapas: http://www.cafe-moustache.at/
9a61bd56ddb2cb1f4c8a4e37376ccc8e.jpg

We saw some of the best facilities at Gerhardhof with some "bathrooms" size of a regulat bathroom in a flat (well compared to our flat). And the bathrooms are all together perfect for families.
45b1de22aa6c22617df3d45523bc3a40.jpg

934f41dede83227fcd8e0df8d9d9f699.jpg

TV fun fact: In Wildermieming next to Gerhardhof was the filmset of the "Bergdoktor".https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Der_Bergdoktor_(1992_TV_series)
I checked Austria entry today and they said Brits aren’t allowed in - even vaccinated. How did you manage that?

Brilliant report… did you have to book any of the sites ahead of arrival.

Thank you Martin. If I forgot anything or if I can provide more detailed intel let me know.
At moment I am trying to write a sum up on our trip with pro/cons re country, route and stuff we took (to much) with us.

Re booking in advance:

For our first night on the road at Alpencamping Nenzing I wrote an email in the morning and got a pitch at noon.

We booked the Gerhardhof in advanced (exactly a month before we started) just because we really knew we want to go there and we need something in Austria (because my wife just had here 2 dose the day before).

For Krk I filled in the booking form on their website 2 days befor entering Croatia (actually a great site to book).

And for Camp Spîk: I wrote an email and got the answer that they had plenty of room for everyone. Well they did have room leftAt the reception you get a numbertag, drive around the site, pick a spot, hang the tag somewhere and that's it.

Wonderful trip ….need to start planning!

bc0a42daa1e3c5fbc8ee8a7eb5eded0a.jpg
We still have a base in Munich and we love to stop there, enjoying some days in a wonderful city with parks and gardens superb for children (and dog owners). Eating out in the "Biergarten". One of our fav is "Hirschgarten" smaller and less crowded that "Chinese tower Biergarten".

As I said from our trip back we had a smooth drive from Camp Spîk to Munich in a bout 5hours.
And from there back home to Switzerland. Unpacking and cleaning a bit.

ed940cd1acf2a372eedad91ea7c55555.jpg
d1c7b18cc98d0e05adecd5187c872868.jpeg

What I/we didn't use on this trip:
- my red "tom" shoes
- my 2 pair of long trousers
- our beach pop up tent
- rain boots

Everyday use:
- coffee machine (Nesspresso)
-

list in progress...

@sapto
Is Ljubljana the City that went car free?

Well we kinda stuck last week or actually this thread:
After cleaning and un loading/re packing we headed again to Vitznau because my mum and her partner (with his grandchildren) camped there for a couple of days.
To make things short: Vitznau is not a site you want to visit in summer, if you like the calm and silence of a wildspot at the beach. It is the opposite: A camping full of families, dogs, elderly and very young children, there are a few mobile homes and a ton of Californias. We've been here before and come back here every summer, spring or even autumn. I guess the reasons are the ones above: pool, children, family-accepted, next to the lake, Lucern, Rigi, Pilatus and close to home.
IMG_3304.JPG