Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SuperCaliFranceaListic

• Thread starter SteveSumnerSupercali
  • Start date
SteveSumnerSupercali

SteveSumnerSupercali

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Just joined and wanted to say hi. I bought my first Cali yesterday and our inaugural road-trip was driving together from the North of France to my home in the beautiful village of PEYRIAC-DE-MER 11440 and she is an absolute delight to be with. Two weeks ago after my second attempt to sleep in my Toyota LandCruiser, inflatable mattress and all, I decided at 6’2” I’d need to have the lower half of my legs removed or buy a roof tent! I dropped the roof tent idea because it put the car over 2Mtrs and would prevent access to beaches and many car parks. I dropped the surgical leg removal because the medical quote was too high and I’d no longer be able to reach the foot pedals What to do Toyota cars are built so well and their 4x4 capability is legend, not that I ever used it apart from the odd soft beach sand, and having owned many cars over the years, it was the best build quality by a country mile. Then on the way home from my second attempt at sleeping in my Toyota I saw a VDub fly past everyone on the motorway and decided to give chase. The Toyota had a 3ltr diesel and was up for most challenges on or off-road, but was sluggish my comparison ti the Cali. My choice was made and two weeks later I was driving south in One too and very pleased to do so. I was concerned that some Cali’s for sale had had engine and gearbox replacements at relatively young ages and other niggles with electrics etc, and the car I’ve bought has had it’s engine replaced 10,000kms ago even though it had only covered around 80,000kms but was apparently drinking too much oil and VW replaced it. Now she behaves like a tea-totaler and an even bigger surprise sips diesel like one too, The Toyota on the other hand was an ardent 11 to 12 litre/100km drinker. The Cali feels lighter on her feet and less rolling résistance, cutting through the air with surprisingly little wind noise too, despite her size and weight. The engine is through a dsg gearbox and is a seamless delight with a turn of speed that amazes other road users, just as it had done with me two weeks ago! Yes at 10k kms it’s just broken in and raring to go so I’d expect it to be lively, but it’s a revelation and proves when built correctly a marvel of modern design. In summary then, I’m delighted with my Cali and that’s saying something when set against the Toyota….watch this space, as they say in space watching land…and the Cali certainly has more of that so my legs can breath a sigh of relief, well they would if legs could breath
The photos: My Cali 4 Motion and a sunset in the beautiful French National Park that is the setting for my home village of Peyriac-de-Mer.

03EDF610-9893-4E9D-9543-67930BAAF8F8.jpeg

11833A77-1227-4E92-A95D-AB8C7B1EBEE7.jpeg

:welcomeSSS Cali, Great first post.

congrats :Stig

I think we’ll be hearing more of your adventures? :bananadance2

Just joined and wanted to say hi. I bought my first Cali yesterday and our inaugural road-trip was driving together from the North of France to my home in the beautiful village of PEYRIAC-DE-MER 11440 and she is an absolute delight to be with. Two weeks ago after my second attempt to sleep in my Toyota LandCruiser, inflatable mattress and all, I decided at 6’2” I’d need to have the lower half of my legs removed or buy a roof tent! I dropped the roof tent idea because it put the car over 2Mtrs and would prevent access to beaches and many car parks. I dropped the surgical leg removal because the medical quote was too high and I’d no longer be able to reach the foot pedals What to do Toyota cars are built so well and their 4x4 capability is legend, not that I ever used it apart from the odd soft beach sand, and having owned many cars over the years, it was the best build quality by a country mile. Then on the way home from my second attempt at sleeping in my Toyota I saw a VDub fly past everyone on the motorway and decided to give chase. The Toyota had a 3ltr diesel and was up for most challenges on or off-road, but was sluggish my comparison ti the Cali. My choice was made and two weeks later I was driving south in One too and very pleased to do so. I was concerned that some Cali’s for sale had had engine and gearbox replacements at relatively young ages and other niggles with electrics etc, and the car I’ve bought has had it’s engine replaced 10,000kms ago even though it had only covered around 80,000kms but was apparently drinking too much oil and VW replaced it. Now she behaves like a tea-totaler and an even bigger surprise sips diesel like one too, The Toyota on the other hand was an ardent 11 to 12 litre/100km drinker. The Cali feels lighter on her feet and less rolling résistance, cutting through the air with surprisingly little wind noise too, despite her size and weight. The engine is through a dsg gearbox and is a seamless delight with a turn of speed that amazes other road users, just as it had done with me two weeks ago! Yes at 10k kms it’s just broken in and raring to go so I’d expect it to be lively, but it’s a revelation and proves when built correctly a marvel of modern design. In summary then, I’m delighted with my Cali and that’s saying something when set against the Toyota….watch this space, as they say in space watching land…and the Cali certainly has more of that so my legs can breath a sigh of relief, well they would if legs could breath
The photos: My Cali 4 Motion and a sunset in the beautiful French National Park that is the setting for my home village of Peyriac-de-Mer.

View attachment 93885

View attachment 93886
Welcome - great post!