Supplementary cool box to fit under the rear bed

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
In order to optimise wine/beer storage space in the Cali fridge (this is what it's intended for, not unnecessary stuff like food;)) we normally put salad stuff, fruit and other bulky items in a passive cool bag under the rear shelf, with a few freezer packs. However, after a day the freezer packs are just taking up space, the cool bag has become a warm bag, and the lettuce is limp :(.

On impulse we bought an electric cool box from Lidl (not in the Cali at the time). When we got back we discovered it wouldn't fit under the shelf unless we laid it on its side. So I thought that maybe it would be OK like that (not sure if it would work properly). However, we've just tried it out in the house using a 12v adaptor and the noise it makes sounds like an angry wasp, so it's going back to Lidl.

Has anyone else found a suitable powered cool box or bag suitable for use under the the rear shelf? I've searched the forum but all that seems to come up is ones for the Beach that go somewhere in the passenger compartment.

Waeco seem to have corned the market in compressor based (ie proper) mobile coolboxes. Cdf 18, cdf 35 are serious bits of kit. Not cheap but power consumption (and technology) similar to your Cali fridge.
They also do 'non compressor' boxes too, which are at the quality end, and cheaper, but not as good (nor quiet) as the compressor models. I don't know which would fit in your space, but hopefully gets your search started.

Thanks for that, just had a quick look on the Waeco website, there are some that will fit but needs a bit of study to see which ones will have enough storage to be useful. As you say, they are a bit pricy, could do with knowing if they are quiet enough ....

I've got a cdf18 from a previous life. I'd say they sound similar to your Cali fridge.... Which is pretty quiet but you may have your head directly over your cool box. Depends how much of the beer you've drunk I suppose....

Other option is to get a top notch cool box... Full recommend Igloo and Icey-Tek coolers and carry a bag or two of ice in them.

Not sure they'll sit under the T5 bed board though.

We use one frequently in the T4, stunning pieces of kit... Much of the ice is still frozen after 4 days!

Alternatively the CDF range also gets my vote.... Just looking for one small enough to fit between the T4 front seats...

Rgds
Mark

Last edited:
I have a CF 40, I will try it under the rear bench and let you know if it fits.

Is the cali rear bench lower than the beach?

I have a CF 40, I will try it under the rear bench and let you know if it fits.

Is the cali rear bench lower than the beach?
Don't know, ours is 13" (33 cms) in the lower position, which is where we have it ...

Back