Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

surf key?

L

lth

like a lot of folk I bought a surf key mainly as an emergency entry key to the van where I could locate the spare.

Spent 40 minutes in a jacuzzi in Italy and was horrified to realise the van key was in my trunks!

No issues at all, the key worked, works fine.

not sure a surf key is needed :)

I forgot my Aquapac once when surfing so wrapped the key tightly in a plastic bag - got to the van, the bag was full of seawater. Swore a lot, dried off the key and...it worked fine!

Phew!

I wonder if its a side effect of all these CE standards that keys have to be waterproofed now? My missus put my cargo pants through a boil wash with my Volvo key in one of the leg pockets and that was fine too. In fact it was better than before as the boil wash got rid of the muck that had been ingrained in the lock symbols :D

On a slightly different but much more unreliable theme I left the Cali at La Rochelle airport recently for 2 weeks.
I decided to run a wire between each door, through the steering wheel and fasten with a heavy duty lock.
As I was doing it I thought "what if the key doesn't work when I return?"
But the key has never, ever not worked.........until I returned and one press opened the driver's door and the 2nd press...didn't do anything!
I then turned into Houdini trying to squeeze into the driver's side, not drop the key and try to open the lock.
Took ages, red hot but eventually got in. Key was flat? Put it in the ignition, drove for 4 hours and never ad a problem since?