Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suspension Lowering Kit

raynormor

raynormor

Ray
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does anyone have experience of having this mod on a facelift 180? I find the suspension too soft and the roll excessive. I guess I'm too used to the VW Golf, but I don't want the mod if it is detrimental to the ride quality. Feedback would be appreciated. Ray

I had the h&r coilovers fitted to my last cali,and they were superb the ride was as factory soft not a hard atall but without any wollowyness,if that's a word???.my little lad would get sick on the lanes I'n the lakes with all the ups n downs n bends but fitting h&r coilovers made a massive difference and it looked awesome .they arnt cheap but you get what you pay for.wish I could upload a pic to show you.

Had this done to my 130 recently by SMG (factory lowering springs). It makes a real difference, no wallowing and sharper steering. The ride is marginally harsher but not intrusively. I guess it also depends what size tyres are fitted. We have standard 16". I would imagine that the VW lowering springs plus 18" would be a lot harsher.

Graham said:
Had this done to my 130 recently by SMG (factory lowering springs). It makes a real difference, no wallowing and sharper steering. The ride is marginally harsher but not intrusively. I guess it also depends what size tyres are fitted. We have standard 16". I would imagine that the VW lowering springs plus 18" would be a lot harsher.

Hi Graham

Do you have a photo of your bus side-on with the lowered springs and on stock 16" alloys? I would love to see it as I am going to go the same route. I will hopefully add sportline alloys later in the summer (i like the idea of a factory look mod) but will run on stock 16's for a while.

Many thanks

Andy

Glad you are pleased with the result Graham :thumb

For a quote and any other questions about lowering don't hesitate to contact us!

cheers

hi alex
does lowering the cali affect the warranty in any way???

Hi Jay,

If you use the Volkswagen lowering springs (made by Eibach for Volkswagen) it will not affect the warranty in any way.

Thanks

Graham said:

Hi,
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the ride being harsher. Do you mean bumps in the road will be more noticeable? Will a VW lowered suspension be able to handle potholes?

More transmission of road irregularities into cab. Potholes always best avoided, new wheels too pricy!

Thanks for all the feedback, it sounds a worthwhile upgrade.

Hi Alex, I asked this question 6 or more months ago (I'm not quick and I expect it has gone up) could you give me a quote please?

Regards

Ray

Hi Alex.

By how much do the lowering springs lower the vehicle?
Also, if I may ask, what mods are necessary in order to fit Sportline wheels or similar ?
Our California is a 180 and registered Aug 09.

Recently we had the laon of a Berghaus version and were impreesed by the drive, a lot less roll, slightly firmer but not over so. Much more car like. How did they achieve that ?

Cheers.
Cally

I have the VW lowering springs on my 2011 T32 Kombi 180. Ride is good, although harder. Makes a massive difference to handling - much sharper. I would always recommend going with genuine springs, for warranty purposes. We have lowered loads of vans using the VW springs. Speak to Steve at SMG I'm sure he will do you a deal :thumb

If you want to come and have a drive let me know :thumb

raynormor said:

Hi Alex, I asked this question 6 or more months ago (I'm not quick and I expect it has gone up) could you give me a quote please?

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray,

Fitted price from us is ÂŁ392 + VAT and can be done in half a day or so if you wanted to book it in and wait whilst it was done.

cheers

raynormor said:

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray,

fitted price from us is ÂŁ392 + VAT and can be done in half a day or so if you wanted to book it in and wait whilst it was done.

Cheers

cally said:
Hi Alex.

By how much do the lowering springs lower the vehicle?
Also, if I may ask, what mods are necessary in order to fit Sportline wheels or similar ?
Our California is a 180 and registered Aug 09.

Recently we had the laon of a Berghaus version and were impreesed by the drive, a lot less roll, slightly firmer but not over so. Much more car like. How did they achieve that ?

Cheers.
Cally

Hi Cally,

The springs lower the Cali by 30mm. No modifications are necessary for fitting Sportline wheels. As yours is a 180 and has the bigger front brakes, you can have the black or silver Sportline wheels. We do offer wheel and tyre packages as well if that is of interest?

Cheers

Not done a picture upload before, so I hope this works. Side view of my Cali with OEM lowering springs and stock 16" wheels. Apologies for the tatty background - work carpark!

Cali VW lowered.JPG

Alex, thank's for your quick reply.

That's interesting and noting the cost in another post a worth while modification.

I'm certain that my local dealer said on more than one occasion that Sportline's couldn't be fitted retrospectively to my 180 which has basic 16" wheels. Is it the fitting of lowering springs that in turn allow the fitting of them ?

Cheers.
Cally

No modifications are needed to fit the Sportline alloy wheels, but there are some restrictions with them.

A 180PS T5 GP can only have the silver or black Sportline alloys fitted due to the larger front brake calipers.

The dark grey Sportline alloys will not fit a 180PS as they do not clear the front brake calipers.

cheers

Alex can we have a price for Lowering Springs - Supply Only please?

I am happy to post the parts prices in the VIP area as requested on another thread.

cheers

I ticked the lowering springs option when I bought my 2011 180.. purely for aesthetic reasons :D Running 18" Canberra's the ride is firm and can be a little harsh over poor surfaces but it transforms the handling minimizing body roll, sharpening the steering and makes the vehicle feel a lot lighter than its 3000kg mass suggests!