Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suspension, TERRIBLE ride...

D

drobb

VIP Member
Hi All

My wife and I own a 61 plate California SE, 180 DSG which we have had for 6 months. While we are really impressed with nearly everything about the camper, the ride leaves a lot to be desired. At best I would say it's really crashy, you can feel every bump in the road, and when you hit a small hole it sounds like the van will fall apart.
I'm going up to VW on Tuesday to see what they say. I would like them to check out the suspension If there is nothing wrong I would like to know if there are any options to improve it. Maybe lowered springs or different tyres???
I would like to know other peoples thoughts on this. We can't be the only ones to think the ride is terrible. It is that bad that my wife is starting to refuse to go anywhere in it. Not enjoyable, rather tiring, even a small journey is unbearable.
I have checked tyre pressure, removed everything from the van but it's still the same. To me it sounds like the dampers just keep rebounding and aren't damping out the shock.
If I can't get anything sorted we are at the point where we will have to sell, it's that irritating...

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

David

Our experience is the opposite with our 180 DSG 4 Motion. We think the ride is just right, a good balance between firmness and ride comfort. The suspension controls what is a very heavy vehicle with not too much wallow, yet not too firm. Yes you can feel many pot holes, but only what you have to expect on our neglected UK roads. I would go as far as saying it floats along on any reasonable surface, it's really quiet and smooth. Lowering or 18" wheels can only be detrimental to the ride.

Perhaps it’s down to tyres - ours is currently fitted with Dunlop SP Sport (factory fit) which are a more performance tyres, perhaps a bit OTT for a Cali. Has yours got more van type tyres with stronger/firmer side walls? If not, I think you’ve got a problem.

As to being impressed with nearly every thing else! :evil: I won’t mention roof corrosion, and many unnecessary reliability issues. Still, it’s a great vehicle. Pity it hasn’t got a 7 year warranty like a Kia

PS My other cars an MGB, so perhaps that might be why the Cali seems so smooth!
No, joking apart I do think the Cali suspension is good. :p

I find the ride in ours to be very good - done mega drives in a day with no issues.

Something may be up with yours?!

Think it might be a fault.

On the motorway ours is amazing. On windy roads it can be a bit rolly, which is why a lot of people lower them - but we like ours standard for when we go offroad on campsites.

So if anything they are soft, but not crashy.

Is there a chance that a former owner has "improved" the handling?

T

At the end of the day it's a van and as such it will ride like one.
I've got a transporter van and don't find the quality of ride in the cali noticeably better than that.
Perhaps try reducing your tyre pressures a bit?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I find my ride relatively crashy and wallowy too. I haven't driven many vans before so automatically compare the Cali ride to cars. My cars have tended to have Germanic sports suspension and I think many Brits have moved away from comfort to sports type suspensions over the past 10 to 20 years or so

Views on suspension are extremely individual and I don't think that car suspension is a fair comparator.

I think the reality is that it is a van, and a top heavy van at that. I am considering lowering mine with genuine vw springs as a possible way of reducing the wallowing - but I want to drive a lowered Cali first to test it out.

I find that the suspension is a game of two halves on the Cali, when you go over a bump the front end feels very wallowy (kind of like you're sitting on a stool on a bouncy castle) but the structure is very "together" but when the back end hits the same bump it does sound like it's crashing over it. However I suspect this is more to do with the space inside the van magnifying sounds and playing tricks with the old lugs as the actual feeling of movement is not that bad at all.

All said, the Cali is a - posh - van so its always going to drive like one, and compared with others of the same ilk its not bad at all but it would be wrong to benchmark your expectations of it against a normal car or even an SUV like a Discovery.

My missus does say she feels like its going to fall over but agrees its a mental thing due to sitting so high up but even she has no problem with the ride per se (and her car is a Merc CLK which has an excellent ride).

I also find it a bit less refined than my car when it goes over bad road or potholes.

I've assumed it's because the chassis/floorpan isn't going to be as stiff as a car, there's more weight and it's more spacious inside so vibrations/noise don't get damped out as much.

I had mine lowered straight away to get rid of the wallowing and I've left it with 17" thunders as I wouldn't want the ride any more "crashy" over bumps.

That said, when the roads are reasonable we find it to be a monster mile-eater. We love the space inside and find the whole setup super comfortable. I realised this on our first long journey when I pulled into a service station after 3 hours on the go, opened the door and nobody wanted to get out! :eek:

So I agree - not smooth on the rough stuff but otherwise excellent.

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the replies. I'm now in a dilemma.... Don't know whether to fit Bilstien B14's or sell the camper, don't want to sell but if I gamble on spending 1400 quid getting these fitted and it doesn't work my wife will probably kill me. She has the opinion that the camper costs a hell of a lot of money for the suspension to be so unrefined, I agree but don't really want to get rid of it. Anyone who has these B14's fitted to a van or a California I would like to know your opinion on how it has changed the ride, better or worse!

Thanks again
David

David,

I think before you rush out and part with £1400 - Why by the way sounds quite a lot for B14's but I could be wrong - you can try some other things.

1. As above, check tyre pressures.
2. Did you get the van from new - confirm it doesn't already have lowered suspension.
3. If you had if from new have a peek under the arches and ensure the transportation blocks have not been left in the springs - You'll see them straight away if they have.
4. Try another Cali. on test drive.

I've found the ride very harsh when I run it with no load - for example when it's empty and I'm taking it to fill with fuel before a trip - almost unbearable. But it rides well when loaded up for trips and it's less skitish than our Audi A3. If you're not loading it enough to keep the suspension in its active range then you might benefit from a spring change?

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

The van has never been lowered, the tyres are the originals and at the pressures on the B pillar. my local van centre hires out Cali's so I should be able to get a ride in one to compare.

I still think that a camper van should be able to travel along B roads without giving you a headache. I know its a van but surely this is what they are for, back lanes and hidden corners of the countryside. Should be a fundamental part of the design. VW don't have brochure pictures of the California travelling on the motorway, everyone smiling, no, they show it down country lanes, the thrill of exploring....

I am going to do an experiment with some bags of builders sand (10) to see if it does need to be loaded to ride better. I'll post my findings.

Thanks again for the comments. Much appreciated.

My California 4Motion is off to Siekel to be raised in May, more ground clearance and better ride, but probably bit more rolley, then 235/65/17 tyres. Basically same setup as T5 PanAmerican much better ride.

Our 08 Cali which we have owned from new is quite firm on the road. It bangs and gives a very hard ride when empty but when fully loaded the ride gets better. Our main problem is road noise from the tyres and when they need replacing (currently 20,000 miles clocked up) I will look carefully at tyre options.

Tom

I have exactly the same experience on a 10 plate (and always have). my van is in for repair currently so I am in a new van which i have to say feels better. It will be interesting to see the comparison when i get back into mine. THe california has soft suspension, if you get in a transporter van it has harder suspension which personally i much prefer. it feels like you are going to break the cali when you drive down a rough track.
interested to see your result - will let you know when i get mine back, could be they have improved/changed the suspension.

froggy said:
My California 4Motion is off to Siekel to be raised in May, more ground clearance and better ride, but probably bit more rolley, then 235/65/17 tyres. Basically same setup as T5 PanAmerican much better ride.

interesting - if I may ask, how much will it cost to do?

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

The van has never been lowered, the tyres are the originals and at the pressures on the B pillar. my local van centre hires out Cali's so I should be able to get a ride in one to compare.

I still think that a camper van should be able to travel along B roads without giving you a headache. I know its a van but surely this is what they are for, back lanes and hidden corners of the countryside. Should be a fundamental part of the design. VW don't have brochure pictures of the California travelling on the motorway, everyone smiling, no, they show it down country lanes, the thrill of exploring....

I am going to do an experiment with some bags of builders sand (10) to see if it does need to be loaded to ride better. I'll post my findings.

Thanks again for the comments. Much appreciated.
Hi

I know this is an old post. I have the exact same thing in my Vw T5 64 plate. It’s a harsh bumpy ride. I’ve changed the drive shafts, the engine mounts and bushes. Thought it was the bearings but they are sound.
I wondered if you ever found out what the issue was. Really liked to know.
thanks.

Do you think perhaps, just maybe, it’s because VW, in a profit making scam, used a commercial builders van as a base for your pride and joy?

Hi

I know this is an old post. I have the exact same thing in my Vw T5 64 plate. It’s a harsh bumpy ride. I’ve changed the drive shafts, the engine mounts and bushes. Thought it was the bearings but they are sound.
I wondered if you ever found out what the issue was. Really liked to know.
thanks.
What wheels and tyres do you have?

When i have my 16s on in winter with Nokian winter tyres mine is like being on a magic carpet.
Summer ones are 18s sportines with Contis.
It rides like one of these on the side roads.

images-74.jpeg

Do you think perhaps, just maybe, it’s because VW, in a profit making scam, used a commercial builders van as a base for your pride and joy?
The thing is, it has got a lot worse in the last 3 months. You could hardly notice it a year ago.
but I know what you’re saying is probably a factor.
What wheels and tyres do you have?

When i have my 16s on in winter with Nokian winter tyres mine is like being on a magic carpet.
Summer ones are 18s sportines with Contis.
It rides like one of these on the side roads.

View attachment 59696
Hi
I normally have 18” sport lines. But have recently put a standard set of 16” steels in to see it improves. But it didn’t!
I’m starting to think on the same lines as the post above

The thing is, it has got a lot worse in the last 3 months. You could hardly notice it a year ago.
but I know what you’re saying is probably a factor.

Hi
I normally have 18” sport lines. But have recently put a standard set of 16” steels in to see it improves. But it didn’t!
I’m starting to think on the same lines as the post above
Shockers???

How do you know if your shockers are knackered?
I don't know the answer to that.

Shockers???

How do you know if your shockers are knackered?
I don't know the answer to that.
They were changed 6 months ago. As there was a bit of play in them. But they have been changed for exactly the same standard as before.

Did anyone find a solution? Just got a Cali SE 2010, great camper but horrible ride on bumps, too harsh, same as original post. What should I look at?

Did anyone find a solution? Just got a Cali SE 2010, great camper but horrible ride on bumps, too harsh, same as original post. What should I look at?
I think it’s very subjective. There are people here who tell you they’ve lowered their vans and they ride great but there are others who basically dispute that being possible.
Personally I have the original very small 2008 16” wheels and Conti Vancontact tyres. I tend to think the ride is quite good and I don’t expect a van to ‘handle’.
However, I have been wondering about spending a little on an upgrade though, to these Bilstein B4 dampers when I get my brake pads done at next service.
1668212332780.png

Last edited:
Back