Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suspension "twanging" noise

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Had this today on a few speed bumps then on some general road bumps - a sort of twang/boing (!) from what sounds like the NSF wheel/suspension. Sounds a bit like the suspension when it compresses fairly hard.

It stopped afterwards but seemed a bit odd.

This and rather squeaky brakes plus the dodgy fresh water tank gauge may mean a dealer trip shortly. I reeeeeallly can't be bothered! :headwall

Martin said:
I also get the 'twang' when going over bumps every now and then!

That's odd. Maybe it's a "feature" then?! :crazy :lol:

No twangs with me more like plink plink fizz :rofl :rofl

Suspension "twanging" noise

Could be a worn (or loose) suspension mount.

Had something similar but only when going over bumps on corners...

Haven't seen any California's with failed springs, but certainly worth getting it to your local dealer for a check to make sure that everything is ok.

cheers

We heard a loud BANG this week driving quietly along a reasonable road at 30mph or so. Ruling out the possibility that we'd been attacked by a large stone or other road debris (no discernible damage) we put it down to something falling over in the van. But it was a loud bang....

Drove all the way home from the Isle of Wight to Cardiff with no sign of anything wrong, handling same as usual, but a mechanical 'tinkling' sound seemed to follow us around on slower roads. Inspection underneath revealed a broken rear offside spring. In at the menders as I write. This a 2010 model with 23k on the clock.

You must live somewhere bumpy (UK?).

For spring newbies, here's what I learnt yesterday.

1. New spring at friendly local garage, £200 fitted.
2. Old spring had broken near the top - it tapers there which seems to be a weak point. The rest of the spring expands (it's a spring after all) and carries on as normal, which is why I hadn't noticed any difference.
3. The top bit was hanging around the rest of the spring making the 'tinkling' noise - better than dropping off and bouncing down the motorway I guess.
4. You can get 'heavy duty' springs that don't taper. Like I now have one of.

I had exactly the same at about 95000 miles - 23k is very soon - perhaps indicative of the state of the roads with deep potholes everywhere...

I had exactly the same at about 95000 miles - 23k is very soon - perhaps indicative of the state of the roads with deep potholes everywhere...
l have the twanging every now and then from the front suspension the first time it happen it was quite loud braking at the bottom of a hill.With eleven thousand on the clock on a 15 reg it could happen to any cali will have to get it checked out with a couple of small problem.

Back