Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swamper tyres / wheels

P

PHd design

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi folks

I have a 2006 oddity... It's a 4motion caravelle, with the roof from a California on the top, perfect for us, but odd.
But I now am changing a few things around and would love thoughts on wheels / tyres please?

Love the wheels in the picture from Weller Wheels. But does anyone have any advise on specs?
https://wellerwheels.com/collections/17-inch-steel-wheels/products/vw-steel-wheel-beadlock-t5-17

1. Width (They're 17 inch), but what width spec wheel would you advise? (8.5J, 9.5J, 10.5J). I believe the 8.5 width is the one I’d need but does anyone know?
2. Offset I’m not sure how to calculate this, so anyone have any experience on how to choose from their options, just love the look on the pic?
3. Fit, would fit a 2006 T5 4 motion (the 4x4 version) without any lift kit on the suspension (mine is standard height), and if they’d rub etc.
4. Tyres, I’d love to have the bf Goodrich’s, and I believe that 245 65 17 BFGOODRICH KO2 is the tyre most likely to be used… but I have seen that some people fit with 225 65 17 BFGOODRICH KO2’s? Again any advise on the ones used on the picture of the sample vehicle would be much appreciated.

weller-wheels-swamper-front_800x.jpg

Ref Offset.
Standard 17" x7" VW wheel is 55 Offset. A lower number will move the wheel rim outwards from that point.
eg a 30 Offset will put a rim with the same 7" width outwards by 15mm..55-30 giving 15mm change.
it gets more complicated if the the rim width is increased as 0 (zero) Offset is the centre of the rim and obviously the centre remiains the same but as the rim width increases the distance from the centre changes. result is that the Offset plus rim width change both need to be taken into account during calculations.
Fortunately this is simplified by using a site such as >
willtheyfit.com

Offroad/swampers don't want wide rims as they won't be protected by the tyre on tracks. 7.5" or 8" being the most that I'd advise.

Also think hard about cleaning the wheels as a Swamper should be getting muddy rims. Looks and practicality may not go together well.

Note that in the photo the wheels protrude (probably 30 Offset) and arch extensions are fitted to help cover them and contain mud splashes.

I don't have a Swamper style but have 17" x 7.5" wheels with 55 Offset and 1320kgs load rating with 235/60/17 tyres.

BFG AT K02 RBL 3 peak mud and snow.
All year tyre.
225/65 R17
Can use blue light card at ATS Euromaster.
and they do free nitrogen top up all year.
I have the life time warranty.
free swap front to rear every 6 months.
3 days in hotel in Europe for life of tyre if it cannot be repaired and you need to wait for a new tyre.
my Speedo and Waze Sat Nav are perfect on the MPH from 30 to 85 (French roads)
£613 ATS all in.

005A16B0-14CD-4E2B-AC60-85DA5A9EE11B.jpeg

21mm spacer on front.
25mm spacer on rear.
Provides a swamper look with out lift suspension.

Like @B J G said. Don’t mess with offset too much as this will affect stability of ride. And wheels should not legally protrude outside of wheel arches.

BFG AT K02 RBL 3 peak mud and snow.
All year tyre.
225/65 R17
Can use blue light card at ATS Euromaster.
and they do free nitrogen top up all year.
I have the life time warranty.
free swap front to rear every 6 months.
3 days in hotel in Europe for life of tyre if it cannot be repaired and you need to wait for a new tyre.
my Speedo and Waze Sat Nav are perfect on the MPH from 30 to 85 (French roads)
£613 ATS all in.

View attachment 71467

21mm spacer on front.
25mm spacer on rear.
Provides a swamper look with out lift suspension.

Like @B J G said. Don’t mess with offset too much as this will affect stability of ride. And wheels should not legally protrude outside of wheel arches.
Great looking van, is it 4motion?

Thank you, yes, looks better with spacers & BFG’s
No, it’s 2wd, that’s why I’ve ordered a new 4M :thumb
Out of curiosity, are the spacers required to run BFGs or for aesthetics only?

And have you lowered your van?

Good option is Wolfrace Tomohawk Outlaw.
8" width 35 Offset which would put the outer rim approx 33mm further out with no inner rim clearance issues.
load rating at 1250kgs for serious use without too much cracking/splitting worries.
Add a Ko2 225/65 tyre and clearances should be OK at standard height springs.
Wheel bore matches for a perfect fit to hub. Plus easy clean.

Out of curiosity, are the spacers required to run BFGs or for aesthetics only?

And have you lowered your van?
For me, it was purely for asthetics.
Not sure if it will rub slightly on full lock.
I am 75% sure it won’t.
No lowering, Just Koni adaptive frequency response shocks and 30mm H&R ARB front and rear. I am happy with the height.

8" width 35 Offset which would put the outer rim approx 33mm further out with no inner rim clearance issues.
load rating at 1250kgs for serious use without too much cracking/splitting worries.

Is that price for x4 or for X1 wheel ?

Set of 4.
you can have incl tyres of your choice

Spacers should only be used to resolve inner arch or suspension clearance problems as they increase suspension and wheel bearing loads. Also alter front suspension/steering geometry.
Nice Wheels, good price for 4.
Yes I understand they will change the loads on suspension and wheel bearings, but also know T5 / T6 users have used spacers for 10 years plus with no adverse wear on the suspension or bearings.
The 6.1 is 3 tonne with no camping equipment, 100kg, 4 people of say 100 kg each, food and other items, another 60kg. That’s at least 560kg. I’m running around 260kg daily in the load area.
I doubt H&R would manufacture spacers if they were going to severely affect the geometry, handling, and safety of a vehicle.
But I understand the need to explain as such.

So the Offset of a standard wheel is only 2mm ?
These wheels having an extra 33mm protusion, That is why they have a higher load rating ?
But would still cause more wear on the joints and bearings and suspension like spacers? @B J G