Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swan Neck VW Tow Bar Ball

whiskymac

whiskymac

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have a Thule tow bar bike rack for two e-MTB - to be fitted on the back of my 2018 T6 California. However I have now discovered that the neck/shaft of the detachable tow bar ball (that came with my van) is too short. Has anyone had a similar problem - and, if so, I wonder how they have resolved it? I attach photographs that may explain the issue.

Thanks in advance.

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

I don’t know the answer, but I have the Thule bike rack for my eBikes and I’ve ordered a Cali with the factory removable tow bar, so very interested in the answer.

I don’t know the answer, but I have the Thule bike rack for my eBikes and I’ve ordered a Cali with the factory removable tow bar, so very interested in the answer.
I have this factory fitted towbar and a Thule Velospace XT3 bike rack and it fits fine.

Chop the ball off, weld a spacer in. Done.

Doesn't the diagram show you need at least 73mm from the top of the ball to anything behind the ball on the horizontal? difficult to explain, but where do you think there is less than 73mm?

Looking at a vertical line down the back edge of the ball, it hits the bar just above the W of westfalia, that looks to be more than 73mm from the top of the ball.

Hi did you solve this last year? We have just bought a California ocean and a Thule x3 foldable rack and can’t get it to clamp to the towbar ball. (Yes realise the van door won’t open with this model Thule, without an alteration, but can’t seem to get past step one of fitting it). Tried winding the little screw on the side and moving the rack up and down.

I have this factory fitted towbar and a Thule Velospace XT3 bike rack and it fits fine.
I have a Thule tow bar bike rack for two e-MTB - to be fitted on the back of my 2018 T6 California. However I have now discovered that the neck/shaft of the detachable tow bar ball (that came with my van) is too short. Has anyone had a similar problem - and, if so, I wonder how they have resolved it? I attach photographs that may explain the issue.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 83831

View attachment 83832
Hi I just asked a question on the forum about whether you solved this but don’t think I pushed the right reply button.

Hi did you solve this last year? We have just bought a California ocean and a Thule x3 foldable rack and can’t get it to clamp to the towbar ball. (Yes realise the van door won’t open with this model Thule, without an alteration, but can’t seem to get past step one of fitting it). Tried winding the little screw on the side and moving the rack up and down.
It can take quite some effort to lock it onto the towbar. I assume you have tried tilting it towards the van?

Might need to lift the rack slightly as you clamp it. I've found that necessary on other racks.
note action on video - on the options boxes

Hi I just asked a question on the forum about whether you solved this but don’t think I pushed the right reply button.
I did manage to get it onto the original VW tow bar in the end. As suggested in other responses the rack needs to be tilted slightly, and it takes some effort to clamp it - so much so that it almost feels as though it is going to break. It also helps if there are two of you - one to hold the rack and move it to correct angle, while the other person engages the handbrake style clamp.

That said, in the end I sold the Thule Easyfold and bought the VeloSpace XT3 - more convenient for me because I wanted to be able to access the boot.

Good luck - it does take some jiggling.

I did manage to get it onto the original VW tow bar in the end. As suggested in other responses the rack needs to be tilted slightly, and it takes some effort to clamp it - so much so that it almost feels as though it is going to break. It also helps if there are two of you - one to hold the rack and move it to correct angle, while the other person engages the handbrake style clamp.

That said, in the end I sold the Thule Easyfold and bought the VeloSpace XT3 - more convenient for me because I wanted to be able to access the boot.

Good luck - it does take some jiggling.
Thanks wish we had room in the garage for the non folding one. This is definitely frustrating us.

Thanks wish we had room in the garage for the non folding one. This is definitely frustrating us.
The Velospace is equally as frustrating.

Both need to be tilted towards or away from the van - so effectively lifting the back most part of the rack, or lowering it. I can’t remember which I’m afraid.

If I remember correctly Thule say that the rack should be tilted towards the van. Once you do that it becomes much easier to push the lever down. The downside is that the rack is now closer to the van so you have a bit less room to open the tailgate! I ended up have a Tow Trust removable bar fitted, in place of the Westfalia, to get an inch or more of room. Did make a difference!

There is another thread somewhere with my long tale about all of this!

Try gently sanding the black paint off of the actual towball. I did when i first got my Thule bike rack and it made a surprising difference.

Thanks thanks thanks everyone - we won! Bike rack now attached with help from a friend who had the Velospace model. It was a combo of things you all said. The tilting forward and back and jiggling. It seems to be either forward, back or level helps. The other thing was the nut at the side. We had to turn it a bizzillion times in one direction, then a bizzillion in the other direction as that wasn’t right. It seemed to move a plastic bit along and open a gap, but no idea what it does. The electric plug with the clockwise twist was a treat too. God I need wine now.

I have a slightly different question - sorry if I’m hijacking. My key is stuck in the removed towbar.
Took me a while jiggling to get the towbar off the van, but now the key is stuck in the towbar keyhole.
Anything I might not be doing to allow me to extract the key?

I have a slightly different question - sorry if I’m hijacking. My key is stuck in the removed towbar.
Took me a while jiggling to get the towbar off the van, but now the key is stuck in the towbar keyhole.
Anything I might not be doing to allow me to extract the key?
Is the Knurled Knob in the “ green” position?