Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swapping a 1974 bay for an Ocean

Mart123blue

Mart123blue

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Decided that life with the bay is too much of a compromise and the Ocean has everything we really want. Reserved one with VW Leicester, just need embargo lifted now.

In the meantime I can get in with selling the bay and my Touraeg. Cannot justify a vehicle this expensive sitting under a car port day to day.

Cheers M

We did the same two years back & although we loved the bay, we had serious tears and tantrums from the kids the day the new owner drove her off our drive I’ve got to say we all love our Beach & have had as much fun in him if not more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think to really get the most from a bay, you've got to enjoy tinkering with them at the weekend. Whereas we want to be out exploring.

It has been a tough decision and I will miss all the waves and smiles on the road. Cannot wait to get it all sorted though and get out there.

I spent all the good weekends carrying out maintenance & repairs, made loads of good friends on the latebay forum & still attend meets / camps etc.

Almost 5 years since we swapped a bay and a touran for a T5. One less vehicle to look after and we have had numerous trips on the uk and Europe to places we would never have risked in the bay. Loved the bay and still like seeing them at shows but you won’t regret it.

That's great to hear. I'll be advertising the bay on the late bay so you will see her for yourself.

You've both echoed exactly why we are doing this, but good to hear from the horses mouth.

That's great to hear. I'll be advertising the bay on the late bay so you will see her for yourself.

You've both echoed exactly why we are doing this, but good to hear from the horses mouth.

I went with an eBay advert with a good description & the bay sold itself, good luck

Welcome :)

And congratulations on your new purchase, albeit on order.

Having had a selection of splits (see my avatar), bays and a lovely T25, whilst I loved them all, I wouldn’t swap any (or even all) of them for my Cali! And like you, we’ve had the kids (and me) in tears many a time when they’ve been driven off by the new owner :(

Gorgeous to look at and full of character they certainly are, but...

The Cali has reliability, comfort, heat. Oh, the luxury of heat :D. Especially in this cold snap when I zap the heater remote from indoors 15 minutes before I leave the house...

No more carrying a huge bunch of tools and spares, remembering the trusty AA/RAC card, wondering if we will get there, or, back home again. Get in it and go. Go exploring, go get those adventures, go get those new lifelong memories :thumb

If there's one thing I hate, its a high top.

Not really done anything yet apart from sort the Avatar. Keeping warm with the log burner, i don't think this is the weather to sell a 43 year old camper.

I'm building up courage to ask about seat covers and mats - When I started looking I could not see why everyone covers up the OE. Now I've read a few threads I'm converted but would never have realised what a hot topic it is.

If we get her in time we're going to try and get down for the meet in the New Forest over Easter for a couple of nights. Should be a few people to show me how to turn the gas on.;)

I've received news today that VW are good to go from 6th March. So we should definitely be receiving our new van in March.

Result!.:cheers

Well for March now read before 10th April, but that is definite.:bananadance2

Time to order some mats and seat covers from the club shop.:help

Touraeg is up on Autotrader.:thumb

Definitely picking up next Friday 20th now. Train ticket booked to Leicester.

With supporting my wife in the LM to squeeze in, I reckon I will have 3 days to prep and fit seat covers and mats etc before camping at Highlands End in Dorset.

What could possibly go wrong... ;)

Cheers:thumb I’m most concerned about trying to camp for 4 days in a complex vehicle i’ve only just picked up:headbang I was hoping to have had a month to get acquainted.

I’ve not put the bay up for sale yet, I want to transfer kit across to new van and wait for sun to come out. Took a deposit on Touareg yesterday so it is imminent/next job.

I’d love an old vw but no mechanical competence and need to do an 1600 mile round trip 5x per year so don’t have lifestyle either.

When I win lottery will get one for local jaunts and pay someone else to keep it going. And of course have brand new California

Cheers:thumb I’m most concerned about trying to camp for 4 days in a complex vehicle i’ve only just picked up:headbang I was hoping to have had a month to get acquainted.

I’ve not put the bay up for sale yet, I want to transfer kit across to new van and wait for sun to come out. Took a deposit on Touareg yesterday so it is imminent/next job.
Just look at one of the hire companies youtube videos, they give a decent run through of all the systems that the prospective hirer will use, it works for them.

Thanks, I'm taking the checklist with me to the dealer. That also seems to cover most issues. :thanks

Good luck with the new bus,you'll love it! we did similar thing as no way all 5 of us could fit in a split or bay(we were pitching a tent to sleep in!) so traded my passat for our cali beach as a daily driver, absolutely love it and wouldn't change it for anything, only prob is can't seem to let my splitty project or bay panel van go so now have 3 vans to play with!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers, I'm very excited, I've bought lots of accessories already.

I'm dreading fitting the seat covers, but cannot wait to use my new Cobb:cheers

IMG_1389.JPG

At last, here she be.

Great trip back from Leicester leaving at 15.00hrs- not.

Got to say Steve at VW Leicester was excellent and managed to keep his enthusiasm as we worked through the checklist.

Here's hoping for decent weather in Bridport next weekend

IMG_1389.JPG Apologies I thought I'd posted pic of new van previously must have been a glitch. Touraeg gone and bay up for sale today. Lovely Bank Holiday at West Wittering last week with a shoulder of lamb on the Cobb. First trip proper at the end of the month to Bridport.

Looks lovely. Must feel quite different to the bay but hopefully not to different to Touareg!

Cheers, it is different but I knew there would be a compromise. No regrets at all we love her and are getting more use out of my wife's golf which is no bad thing.

Back