Sweden?

Simo

Simo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello all,

Some advice if I may

We (2 adults and 3 kids)are heading to Sweden across the first two weeks of August with no real schedule or plan.

We will either get a ferry to Gothenburg and gently roll down to Malmo, or cross the bridge to Malmo and climb up to Gothenburg.

Does anyone have any must see destinations in this area or great campsites previously used? Any suggestions will be much appreciated and may even convince my wife that I have been researching for months......

Thank you
Simon

We recently crossed the bridge (paid in advance and saved 10% and amazingly avoiding customs etc). I have posted a video of the crossing on Youtube -

We drove through Malmo, as Norway was our destination. Stayed at a large but very nice resort type site (Destination Apelviken) at Varberg. It has a small supermarket, restaurant, swimming pool and is on the coast. very friendly staff. Nice walk to the town. Did the walk but didn't reach the town as we were only there for one night. North and central Sweden, has good long, boring roads and lots of trees. On our way back from Norway we stayed at another resort site (Ansia Resort at Lycksele), fantastic on-site cooking facilites.

IMG_20190617_194356.jpg

We recently crossed the bridge (paid in advance and saved 10% and amazingly avoiding customs etc). I have posted a video of the crossing on Youtube -

We drove through Malmo, as Norway was our destination. Stayed at a large but very nice resort type site (Destination Apelviken) at Varberg. It has a small supermarket, restaurant, swimming pool and is on the coast. very friendly staff. Nice walk to the town. Did the walk but didn't reach the town as we were only there for one night. North and central Sweden, has good long, boring roads and lots of trees. On our way back from Norway we stayed at another resort site (Ansia Resort at Lycksele), fantastic on-site cooking facilites.

View attachment 47374
Thank you Anthony, they just seem to get on-site cooking facilities in those parts don’t they

We went to Denmark last year and some of the facilities were on par with our kitchen at home

Soralven Camping is a lovely site by the river Idre and the hosts often to a site BBQ with reindeer meat. The whole area is stunning.
www.soralven-camping.com
Thank you Loz, looks very remote and beautiful!

Alas it is too far off my route to stop the wife and kids from mutiny, mid trip

Thank you Loz, looks very remote and beautiful!

Alas it is too far off my route to stop the wife and kids from mutiny, mid trip
Busy time of the year. Phone/email ahead or arrive early to get a pitch. You should be OK without pre-booking.

The sand dunes around Halmstad are nice. Hagön camping is a good spot to see this.

What do you want to do? Historic things like castles/ruins or other?

We are in Sweden now, travelled across from Copenhagen (no border checks), to Osby, on to Gotland via Oland and then to Stockholm via Nynashamn. Stockholm probably my favourite capital city now.
Now heading to Oslo and currently staying at Gustavik Orebro (massive camping swim park). If any of that is of interest I can advise, but may well not be. We have 4 y/o so lots of swimming and parks have been enjoyed.

The sand dunes around Halmstad are nice. Hagön camping is a good spot to see this.

What do you want to do? Historic things like castles/ruins or other?
Halmstad sounds good and right on my path, I’ll explore Hagon....thank you

I guess I just want to explore Sweden and dodge tourists.....

Castles, ruins, vikings and lakes....anything like that sounds perfect

Thank you, any tips/suggestions are most welcome

We are in Sweden now, travelled across from Copenhagen (no border checks), to Osby, on to Gotland via Oland and then to Stockholm via Nynashamn. Stockholm probably my favourite capital city now.
Now heading to Oslo and currently staying at Gustavik Orebro (massive camping swim park). If any of that is of interest I can advise, but may well not be. We have 4 y/o so lots of swimming and parks have been enjoyed.
Swimming and parks are favourites for my clan

Stockholm feels too far to travel, as did Gotland but I am encouraged by your route.....were the distances long for your 4yo or are the roads and traffic fast and light?

If you want Vikings, you can cross the border to Oslo. Oslo has a great Viking ship museum. Next to this you can also find 2 wonderful musea of the Kontiki and the travels to the pole from Amundsen. Our children loved it! City-camping in Oslo is fine and public transport works very well. Phone the camping before arriving. It can be busy!

Stockholm feels too far to travel, as did Gotland but I am encouraged by your route.....were the distances long for your 4yo or are the roads and traffic fast and light?

Sweden is not that wide. And traveling is easy, almost no trafic jams and good quality roads. Stockholm is great with the Vasa museum that is really worth a visit and free entry for kids! I also recommend Uppsala, a nice university city. The city of Linnaeus and Gamla Uppsala is really nice.

For swimming: there are numerous lakes. Choose your own!

Båstad and Laholm near Halmstad are nice too, plenty of gårds you can visit they sell local produce from the farms, beaches are really nice along the south east coast.

Worth driving across to SW and looking at Ystad area, Skåne is very popular this time of year, Stockholm is quite busy right now with tourist.

It’s very easy to drive to Stockholm if a little boring, nice stops along Vattern with views and good quality service stations and picnic areas.

If you’re coming to Sweden you can’t miss Stockholm, lots to do with the kids, Skansen is wonderful and you can do some swimming on most beaches around lake Märlaren where we live, most Swedes are away on holiday right now and not in Sweden :)

I agree with Stockholm etc but Sweden might not be wide but it’s tall... meaning that going from Gothenburg to Stockholm is a 5+ hour drive and in summer time there are also several road construction sites up close to Stockholm with mile long queues... sat in two of them for one hour each on E4 last week from Jönköping to Stockholm...

Gothenburg you have New Älvsborgs fortress with an interesting history and is also the most expensive build in Sweden (the old on really) but came in at 1.042.000.000.000 SEK.

And also Bohus fortress. Those are both in Gothenburg.

Just go explore, it’s summer so as you, there are more tourists here now than in the rest of the year but if you use Allemansrätten you can get to nice camping spots where you’ll be alone(ish).

Yeah I was held up 2 weeks back driving home from racing in the Svensk SM in Båstad, held up in Södertälje for a while too.

There is lots to see on the West Coast and even venturing north up to Oslo and boating back to Denmark overnight could be an option, West Coast Archipelago ❤️

I agree with Stockholm etc but Sweden might not be wide but it’s tall... meaning that going from Gothenburg to Stockholm is a 5+ hour drive and in summer time there are also several road construction sites up close to Stockholm with mile long queues... sat in two of them for one hour each on E4 last week from Jönköping to Stockholm...

Gothenburg you have New Älvsborgs fortress with an interesting history and is also the most expensive build in Sweden (the old on really) but came in at 1.042.000.000.000 SEK.

And also Bohus fortress. Those are both in Gothenburg.

Just go explore, it’s summer so as you, there are more tourists here now than in the rest of the year but if you use Allemansrätten you can get to nice camping spots where you’ll be alone(ish).
5+ hrs with twin 6yr olds and an 8yr old is not on my bucket list.....the journey to Sweden will no doubt have broken me.....

Love the suggestions, thank you

We loved this camping in the woods within walking distance to the castle.
www.lackoslott.se/accommodation-camping-harbour.aspx
Interesting tour in the castle.

Another very nice place to visit is Motala with its 5-step-sluice Borenshult, a nice walk along the Gotakanal, a motormuseum.

And - more south - there is the strange, but impressive car graveyard Kyrkö Mosse ... a good place to drive by and have a walk.

Enjoy!

Båstad and Laholm near Halmstad are nice too, plenty of gårds you can visit they sell local produce from the farms, beaches are really nice along the south east coast.

Worth driving across to SW and looking at Ystad area, Skåne is very popular this time of year, Stockholm is quite busy right now with tourist.
Thank you, noted and added to my list

We loved this camping in the woods within walking distance to the castle.
www.lackoslott.se/accommodation-camping-harbour.aspx
Interesting tour in the castle.

Another very nice place to visit is Motala with its 5-step-sluice Borenshult, a nice walk along the Gotakanal, a motormuseum.

And - more south - there is the strange, but impressive car graveyard Kyrkö Mosse ... a good place to drive by and have a walk.

Enjoy!
Thank you, much appreciated

Yeah I was held up 2 weeks back driving home from racing in the Svensk SM in Båstad, held up in Södertälje for a while too.

There is lots to see on the West Coast and even venturing north up to Oslo and boating back to Denmark overnight could be an option, West Coast Archipelago ❤

Agree, just came back and really enjoyed all of the west coast (except the camping in Gothenburg...). Amazing fish and langoustines!

Gotland was good because the ferry leaving from Oskarshamn to Visby and then Visby to Nymashamn means you get to visit the Island and also get to Stockholm with minimal driving. And we had more time anyway. Plus the Oslo - Kiel ferry cuts out a tonne more driving back and it’s basically a cruise ship and so our daughter loves it.
I suggest for you keeping south west to keep the fun to driving ratio sensible, we never visited to west coast archipelago but I have heard nothing but great reports.

There are forests and lakes and coves everywhere.

Gotland was good because the ferry leaving from Oskarshamn to Visby and then Visby to Nymashamn means you get to visit the Island and also get to Stockholm with minimal driving. And we had more time anyway. Plus the Oslo - Kiel ferry cuts out a tonne more driving back and it’s basically a cruise ship and so our daughter loves it.
I suggest for you keeping south west to keep the fun to driving ratio sensible, we never visited to west coast archipelago but I have heard nothing but great reports.

There are forests and lakes and coves everywhere.
Thank you for the idea of the Oslo to Kiel ferry, great idea

Pricing up a one way comes to 753 Euros....may I ask how much you pay and if this is reasonable in your opinion?