Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swiss Terroir

O

OrangeColin

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 102
Anyone tried it?

We're just planning our summer holidays to Switzerland and wonder if anyone has used this service, it's the same concept as France Passion?

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great idea. Never heard of it. The website itself looks okay.
BTW: I am happy to help if you got any questions about Switzerland.
Cheers
sapto

Sounds like a great idea. Never heard of it. The website itself looks okay.
BTW: I am happy to help if you got any questions about Switzerland.
Cheers
sapto
Hi sapto, first thing. Where did you buy the vignette? Did you get it before you crossed into switzerland?

Do you recommend anywhere particular which might not be the usual places?

Thanks,

Hi sapto, first thing. Where did you buy the vignette? Did you get it before you crossed into switzerland?

Thanks,

Hi OrangeColin

You can buy the vignette directly at the boarder or at some gas stations in Germany, France or Austria CHF 40.- (depending from where your travelling): https://www.ch.ch/en/swiss-motorway-sticker/

I guess you mean Zurich, Lucerne, Geneva, Bern or Basel if you say "usual places"? I like the area around Stein am Rhein/ Rhein Waterfall, City of Schaffhausen, the mountains close to St. Moritz or Andermatt/Gotthard or Biel and the lakes around Biel.
For example, a campsite right next to a small lake is Camping Murg in Murg/next to Walensee http://www.murg-camping.ch/.

All depends on what you'd like to see and do. IMO the cities in Switzerland are nice however often hard to find a good place to stay in your Cali but not impossible: http://www.campingeichholz.ch/.

Cheers
sapto

Thanks,

Important to buy the vignette before you enter Switzerland.

Thanks sapto.

We want to mix it up really. Cities and hikes in and around the mountains/lakes.

Researching campsites I found it difficult to find a campsite close to the cities. Our first place is Basel and then the campsite you recommend near Bern. From there its Geneva and then towards Matterhorn and then probably st moritz and probably towards Zurich and konstanz/bodensee. And whatever is between.

Do you find campsites dog friendly and easy to just turn up without booking?

We've holidayed in Germany previously and that's how we worked it.

Hopefully this Swiss terroir book will turn up soon and help us finalise some plans.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

http://www.swissterroir.ch/

Do you want to get off the beaten track? Do you want space and true contact with the locals? Want to discover something other than a standard, overcrowded parking space? SwissTerror offers you this opportunity.

SwissTerroir invites you to explore the wealth of Swiss heritage, inviting you to enjoy it directly at the inhabitant. To this end, many craftsmen, farmers, winegrowers, cheese makers, chocolate makers, etc. Have agreed to open the doors of their domain to the campers, to welcome you on their land during your stages in a privileged and authentic context. It will be up to you to let yourself be seduced by the flavors and the originality of their products.

Do check the small print, someone pointed out recently the French version was only for motor homes with their own bathrooms & waste storage.

I've bought a vignette at the border on the motorway, at a petrol station well into Switzerland on a tiny road & this year in advance via internet (which I now prefer).

Indeed their conditions on the site state participants do 'in principle not supply water, toilets or electricity':

"en principe ni eau, ni sanitaire, ni électricité à fournir !"​

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah I'm aware of water, toilet, electric situation but for 40 quid I thought it worth a try, even just 2 stop overs would pay off.

Thanks sapto.

We want to mix it up really. Cities and hikes in and around the mountains/lakes.

Researching campsites I found it difficult to find a campsite close to the cities. Our first place is Basel and then the campsite you recommend near Bern. From there its Geneva and then towards Matterhorn and then probably st moritz and probably towards Zurich and konstanz/bodensee. And whatever is between.

Do you find campsites dog friendly and easy to just turn up without booking?

We've holidayed in Germany previously and that's how we worked it.

Hopefully this Swiss terroir book will turn up soon and help us finalise some plans.

I'd like to help and gather some intel about campsites around your destinations. Write you soon.
Cheers

Not directly in the City of Geneva however a couple of km away.
I've seen one very near there but it's fairly expensive, the bike ride in could be pleasant, but I think we'll park in/near Geneva, see the sites and drive on to a wild camp or Swiss terroir spot.

Thanks for your research, much appreciated.

I've seen one very near there but it's fairly expensive, the bike ride in could be pleasant, but I think we'll park in/near Geneva, see the sites and drive on to a wild camp or Swiss terroir spot.

Thanks for your research, much appreciated.

For Geneva, I would recommend Divonne les Bains, which is a short distance away in France: https://europe.huttopia.com/en/site/divonne-les-bains/

Around Zermatt/Matterhorn, there are a few campsites, I only stayed with a tent on one close to the trainstation "Täsch" (you can not enter Zermatt with your Van).

Around Zermatt/Matterhorn, there are a few campsites, I only stayed with a tent on one close to the trainstation "Täsch" (you can not enter Zermatt with your Van).
Yeah, already noted the the no vehicles rule for zermatt. Campsite we plan looks nice, possible bike to zermatt or walk (terrain depending). No bookings though, so I suspect early arrival advised.