Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Switched RCD off before first EHU connection, now permanently tripped

Guy.M

Guy.M

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello peeps, first night out with EHU option. Got cable out, switched RCD off, connected the new cable, went to switch RCD back on (in the upward position), only to find switch won’t stay up, keeps tripping to off (down ) position. EHU cable removed, makes no difference. RCD won’t switch back on. Any tips or clues please......

Hello peeps, first night out with EHU option. Got cable out, switched RCD off, connected the new cable, went to switch RCD back on (in the upward position), only to find switch won’t stay up, keeps tripping to off (down ) position. EHU cable removed, makes no difference. RCD won’t switch back on. Any tips or clues please......
I assume you don’t have anything plugged into the socket in the van that could be faulty?
Did both RCD switches trip? If so, possibly a faulty hook up cable?
Failing that maybe a trip to your dealership?

I assume you don’t have anything plugged into the socket in the van that could be faulty?
Did both RCD switches trip? If so, possibly a faulty hook up cable?
Failing that maybe a trip to your dealership?
Do you have a Mains Tester? If so you could test the campsite supply.

Thanks Grumpy Granddad. Cable disconnected and put away now. RCD still permanently tripped so don’t think it’s anything to do with cable or supply. Both RCDs tripped yes. No mains tester with me I’m afraid. Think it’s looking like a trip to the dealer.

Thanks Grumpy Granddad. Cable disconnected and put away now. RCD still permanently tripped so don’t think it’s anything to do with cable or supply. Both RCDs tripped yes. No mains tester with me I’m afraid. Think it’s looking like a trip to the dealer.
Strange one. Maybe the switch itself has failed on first operation.
Coincidently, after not touching it for years, I had an RCD on a supply from my house to garden shed fail when I tested it with the test button. It proved to be a mechanical failure. Had to replace it.

Check the 'test ' button hasn't stuck in or latched in. Also bear in mind that red is on and green is off. Ie red for danger. Green for safe

Thanks flying banana, doesn’t seem stuck in - I’ve been pressing it a few times after it first became permanently tripped - no joy. I agree the colouring took some checking out - but luckily the on and off status is written on the buttons. I appreciate your reply , thanks.

Some RCD trip to a middle position, if you have that type then you have to push all the way down (latches) and then back up.

Thanks 4x4. No middle trip for me I’m afraid. But thanks for replying.

Lift it up really slowly
Slowly slowly hasn’t caught the monkey I’m afraid. It clicks as soon as I begin to lift if from the fully down position. I think it’s a dealer job.....

Give it a few gentle taps with a coin/key and push the trip button in out a few times.

RCD should be test tripped every few months if you do get it working. If they aren’t checked regularly they may not work when needed.
I know that doesn’t help you now though.

Hello all, just thought I’d close the loop on this one. Just got it back from the garage after repair. As suspected, the RCD was faulty and they replaced it. All good. It’s now sitting back on the drive again, winking at me every day - trying not to be frustrated, irritated or depressed that we can’t do anything with it atm!

Hello all, just thought I’d close the loop on this one. Just got it back from the garage after repair. As suspected, the RCD was faulty and they replaced it. All good. It’s now sitting back on the drive again, winking at me every day - trying not to be frustrated, irritated or depressed that we can’t do anything with it atm!
Thank you for " closing the loop" as they say.

Resurrecting this thread.

Is it good practice to switch off the RCD’s before connecting the campsite supply? Or do most people just plug in?

Resurrecting this thread.

Is it good practice to switch off the RCD’s before connecting the campsite supply? Or do most people just plug in?
its a good question. The manual says switch off the RCD before connecting/disconnecting. But the VW garage said it wasn’t necessary.

I suppose my view is its a good practice to switch off the RCD as a routine test - not sure I’d had discovered the fault if I hadn’t switched off. But I’m not sure it’s strictly necessary, other than as a mechanism to test its functionality on a regular basis.

interested in other views........

once again worrying about nowt. just plug it in. you can hold a hose pipe and not get wet can't you ? ypou can't plug a live plug into the van ? are you kidding me here ? it's still live even if you trip the c.b in the van isn't it unless you trip the c.b at the supply end first? i never ever trip mine. i don't have a fire blanket or extinguisher. i have no extra gas locker for my spare bottle,i just chuck it in the back. i don't have a carbon monoxide detector either. worry worry worry over sod all.where does everyone keep their suit of armour ?

Last edited:
As they are mechanical, the less times they are operated, the better IMO
RCD/RCBO devices shoiuld be tested regularly as per manufacturers instructions otherwise they can fail to operate when needed.
I have tested rcd's where the test switch failed but also more impotantly the unit failed to trip under fault conditions. I would say some sticking can occur if they have been in the on position for prolonged periods.

RCD/RCBO devices shoiuld be tested regularly as per manufacturers instructions otherwise they can fail to operate when needed.
I have tested rcd's where the test switch failed but also more impotantly the unit failed to trip under fault conditions. I would say some sticking can occur if they have been in the on position for prolonged periods.
when was the last time you tested your house rcd's ?

Last edited:
We test the fire alarm at home on a regular basis. Normally means the next meal is going to be a bit darker than one would like though. ;)

I know they need testing occasionally, but they don’t need switching on and off like a light switch.

Pressing the test switch does nothing more than prove the mechanical function of the RCBO is ok.
A more relevant test is a proper electrical test. 1/2 load, load and 5 x load all at 0/180 deg phase. Any good spark will do it annually for you.

Pressing the test switch does nothing more than prove the mechanical function of the RCBO is ok.
Pressing the test button classes as a mechanical test on test sheets bit It also tests the tripping mechanism electrically by causing a small current flow imbalance sufficient to trip device.
A full electrical test is obviously better but the simple push test will check its working electrically and mechanically in its basic form.

Back