Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swivelling seats

G

Graeme Reid

Sorry to raise an old subject but has anyone been successful in having their comfort seats converted to swivel?

Yeah, thanks hotel, lots of info on that post but don't think anyone came up with a final solution and trawling the Internet I still don't see a specific aftermarket kit.

Magic thanks, just sent them an email so fingers crossed!

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/scopema-rib-campervan-seats/single-seat-swivels/other-van-swivels
Give them a call. People have used them on T5 seats. T6 are probably same fitting.
Thanks for your help wellhead, I just finished successfully fitting two swivel plates to my 2016 beach with comfortseats. Work great although the drivers seat is a bit fiddly to turn and now squeaks a bit. Takesaround 1 hr per seat to fit. They do restrict theheight adjustment but well worth it.

So the upshot is that it's possible to fit a swivel and it's ok?

I've found an appropriate vehicle and was set to buy it but asked the question about the seats...

They've now come back to me and asked if I'll buy it if they fit the swivel with the appropriate safety designation and a wee discount.

I'm worried about warranties and resale, being honest and upstanding and all.

I've found an appropriate vehicle and was set to buy it but asked the question about the seats...

They've now come back to me and asked if I'll buy it if they fit the swivel with the appropriate safety designation and a wee discount.

I presume it's a Dealership that has agreed this? If so it should be covered by the Warranty as are all Dealer fitted accessories. I wouldn't thought resale would be a problem as it will have both swivel and height adjustable seats.

I presume it's a Dealership that has agreed this? If so it should be covered by the Warranty as are all Dealer fitted accessories. I wouldn't thought resale would be a problem as it will have both swivel and height adjustable seats.

Yep, dealer, tho it would be an approved installer that they use that would do the work. We had a LONG conversation!

Yep, dealer, tho it would be an approved installer that they use that would do the work. We had a LONG conversation!
An Approved Installer is good.

If the seat swivel that you are referring to is one of these http://www.jennings-seats.co.uk/shop/19/ then as you will see they are TUV approved. That should indicate full safety approval.

They raise the seat(s) by either 28mm or 35mm depending on type / battery location.

I have these on my current T5 (the 28mm raising type) and can observe the following...

• The VW standard seat height adjustment totally available when the seat is in the forward facing position but its range begins higher by the quoted 28mm.
  • The hand brake has to be relocated downwards on a provided bracket kit however the plastic cover cannot now be used. I have not yet found a nice solution to this.
  • To rotate the seat it must be positioned (height adjustment wise) so that the side skirts to clear the swivel base plate mounting bolts.

Swiveling the drivers seat procedure is similar to that of standard VW seat swivels.
Vehicle in gear or park - Handbrake off - Seat height set as above - Seat back reasonably upright - Right armrest lowered - Seat slid so that the rotating seat back just clears the 'B' pillar - Rotate seat.
It sounds complex but becomes second nature.

Rotating the passenger's seat only requires the height and fore and aft positioning to be observed.

I don't see any reason to question the validity of the VW vehicle warranty and would expect the swivel suppliers to offer at least the normal one year guarantee. DIY fitting is reasonably straight forward but of course you could ask a dealer or recognised converter to fit them for you.

As for resale, fitment of swivels is likely to add to the value rather than detract from it.

Rod

The swivel bases that I bought and fitted myself come with certificates as they are type approved tested units. I'm not planning on selling soon but I wouldn't see why anyone would be against buying your van because you had swivels retro fitted. They do speak quite a bit though.

Very helpful. Thanks so much.

I am being very cautious as I don't know anything about campervans and my rationale for wanting a California is that it's factory produced, so this is a bit of a curve ball.