Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Symbol nr2. "Battery operation" is on - when nothing turned on..

Jonas R.

Jonas R.

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi!

First off - I´m a California Exclusive (-01) owner since a week, so I am a real newbie in this area... I have spent all week trying to figure out how everything works...

In my electronic control panel unit i can se the symbol nr 2 is "on", its the symbol that tells you that "power is supplied to a consumer". But the thing is that I haven´t got a singel light on. In my (newbie) world i shouldnt have anything that consume from my lesiure battery... But; computer says - yes u do....
I do have a (huge and fat) solar panel on the roof - might this be the one that causes my control panel to say that something is "on"?

Cheers!
//Jonas, from Sweden

I fount a instruction manual online that showed how everything on the panel works, it might be worth doing a quick search for it, and I've heard there is a way to switch everything off, I'm sure others will be along shortly to give more advice.

I fount a instruction manual online that showed how everything on the panel works, it might be worth doing a quick search for it, and I've heard there is a way to switch everything off, I'm sure others will be along shortly to give more advice.

Thanks, but i already printed (end read) the english manual... I actually quoted it in my post ;)

I will keep searching!

Welcome.

Is the van connected to the main electrical supply?

Can you upload a photo?

Welcome.

Is the van connected to the main electrical supply?

Can you upload a photo?

Nope - car in not connected to "main electronic supply", if that means connected with 230v cable.

The Display is working correctly, after 5 min of usage of lamps, fridge etc, I can see the status of the leisure battery; 90%

But still, even if i do not have anything "on" - the battery symbol is on. U can see it in this manual (http://westfaliat4.info/VW-T4-Westfalia-CaliforniaCoach-Manual-English-1998.pdf) page 17

I will try to take photos later!

There is something running off the leisure batteries. The control panel.

There is something running off the leisure batteries. The control panel.
Ohhh - so you mean that it is the control panel that consume energy from the leisure battery... Makes sense in a way, but not in another... This would mean that that indicator (nr 2) always should be "on" - and i don´t know if that really makes any sense...

Still - anyone with experience if the solar panels, charging the batteries, gives this "symptoms"?

I'm not sure what you mean by indicator nr 2. What tells me that something is on is the consumption readout.

However, yes, I would also suspect the solar panels. I can't help you there :)

image.jpg

I think you're a T4 so it should look like this.

View attachment 21575

I think you're a T4 so it should look like this.

Yep - it do look like that!

But - according to the manual the small "battery" in the display is supposed to be"on" when something is consuming the battery. The thing is that this "battery" symbol is always "on", even thou not a single lamp is on...

I've never seen it not on!

battery.jpg

This is from the English manual...
How would you interpret this instruction?

I bet it would go Off if the Leisure Battery is disconnected.

The only change you will see when the Solar Panel is connected is a rise in Voltage as the sun starts shining and a + current reading if nothing is switched on.

View attachment 21595

This is from the English manual...
How would you interpret this instruction?
I wouldn't take VWs word as Gospel, and I very much doubt that they would have wired up the Control Panel in such a way that it's power requirements were ignored.

Back