Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T 4 California Exclusive 1999-2003

qyou

qyou

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi All, I am in the process of buying my first and possibly the only camper van I'll ever buy. I have researched for my needs and what I want from a camper and have settled on the T4 California Exclusive Westfalia circa 1999-2003 as I'm sure many will be aware these vehicles were updated from the 1994-1996 versions. My question to anyone with experience or knowledge of these vehicles is; they produced an automatic version in 1999 and I'd like to know how realible these were and how expensive these would be to repair or replace, there are so many opinions out there it's difficult to gain any objectivity. I would appreciate any thoughts, experiences as I'm going to be spending a lot of money. Thank you

Hi and welcome. You are obviously very enlightened in your choice of van ;).

I've never driven an auto, so don't take this as gospel. All I know is the the auto gearbox is very much 'old style' and way behind the Tiptronics of the T5 and galaxies behind the DSGs. Auto vans (of this era) seem to sell for less than manuals. These are heavy vans, already lacking a bit of punch, so anything that absorbs (wastes) any of the available power might not be best suited.
There will be more general experience of them on the T4 forum, where they'll be some higher mileage users who will speak better to reliability and cost / availability of repair.

Go for it. T4's are basically indestructible. On top of that, if the van is your secondary vehicle you'll struggle to top 6k miles a year.

Hi and welcome. You are obviously very enlightened in your choice of van ;).

I've never driven an auto, so don't take this as gospel. All I know is the the auto gearbox is very much 'old style' and way behind the Tiptronics of the T5 and galaxies behind the DSGs. Auto vans (of this era) seem to sell for less than manuals. These are heavy vans, already lacking a bit of punch, so anything that absorbs (wastes) any of the available power might not be best suited.
There will be more general experience of them on the T4 forum, where they'll be some higher mileage users who will speak better to reliability and cost / availability of repair.

Thanks for your help I'm a little concerned about the fuel consumption how do the automatic hightops compare to the manual pop tops in mpg?

If fuel econ is your thing then you're probably looking at the wrong vehicle full stop!

Anything over 30mpg will be a bonus.

Thanks for your help I'm a little concerned about the fuel consumption how do the automatic hightops compare to the manual pop tops in mpg?
You have to compare like with like.
You cannot compare mpg for a mobile brick with a car, of any description. Compare with the equivalent such as a small motorhome and don't forget you are looking at a a12 yr old vehicle and so should be compared with other vehicles of at least that era.
Finally as @sidepod said. If Fuel Consumption is a concern then maybe you should be re-considering your decision.:thumb

On a run, loaded, I get just shy of 40mpg in my Cali. Not bad for a 17 yr old van.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hi All, thanks for all the suggestions, help and experience. I have reconsidered so am now looking for a pop top, I've seen one I like the look of and the chap I spoke to Sam was very helpful. The company is 25seven campers, has anyone had or know someone who has any experience of this company? Would be very helpful. Thank You
qyou

Hi All, thanks for all the suggestions, help and experience. I have reconsidered so am now looking for a pop top, I've seen one I like the look of and the chap I spoke to Sam was very helpful. The company is 25seven campers, has anyone had or know someone who has any experience of this company? Would be very helpful. Thank You
qyou

Manual exclusive going on ebay...top wack though.
Good value compact relisted on their too... if only two of you.
Love the versatility of the exclusive, have an automatic...not exactly sure of mileage but reckon it's in 30's .

That Compact is very cheap. . . . . To the point it looks too cheap. No aircon . I for one don't think the slightly pimped look does it any favours.

Must admit T4's are my guilty pleasure and think the DNA was perfected here but also love the beautiful symmetry of the T1 that will always be iconic vw-t4-california--11.jpgt4-california--16.jpg T4 CALIFORNIA.jpgT4 CALIFORNIA.jpg

Back