I have a T 5 ??? How do you know which number after you have

I have a T 5 ??? How do you know which number after you have
Hi Mowbotman

are you referring to engine or Model
e.g.
engine 140bhp
or model T5 / T5.1 ?

Last edited:
So is Wikipedia wrong in identifying T5.1 and T5.2? Should be just T5 and T5.1? Presumably there never was a T5.2?

On German forums our T5 is T5.1 and our T5.1 is T5.2. It can get confusing, especially since Germany didn't follow the same system with T6/T6.1.

T 5 then T5.1 which was then a T6 but many parts are interchangeable.
T5's get facelifted to T5.1, T6 & T6.1

Front is the main visual difference, bonnet/bumper & lights.

basic guide

Last edited:
One of the German forums, showing T5.2 designation from 09/09. I'm not sure if Austria does this also, but as far as I can tell the rest of the world uses T5/T5.1, not T5.1/T5.2.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 9.52.29 AM.png

Last edited:
So the number is the euro for emissions i.e.:- euro 5 and euro 6 and the 2nd digit is just up grades to the vehicle ?

So the number is the euro for emissions i.e.:- euro 5 and euro 6 and the 2nd digit is just up grades to the vehicle ?
No, the T5 and T6 designations don't have anything to do with with Euro5 and Euro6 designations. The T designations follow VW model changes: T1=splitty, T2=Bay, T3=last rear engine model, T4=first front engine model, T5=second front engine model, T5.1=first T5 facelift, T6=second T5 facelift and mechanical upgrade, T6.1=most recent facelift. Pure coincidence that some of these model numbers partially coincide with Euro emission numbers. Some early T6 vans are Euro5 emissions. T5 vans are Euro3 and Euro4 emissions, T5.1 are Euro5.

Last edited:
Back in The early 70s we had a T1 split screen. Emissions weren’t even heard of then. Used nearly as much oil as petrol (18mpg) on a good day. VW have definitely moved on since then.

Back