Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T 6.1 Lounge Feature

Maeve

Maeve

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Does anyone know if the new Lounge feature on the T6.1's will be available aftermarket and could be fitted in to a T6.0 to replace the parcel shelf currently there? I would love to have that lounge feature in my Ocean and have been trying to figure out just how to do it with what is currently there but I looks like two side rails come with the new setup to actually make it happen.

Yeah, you just have to be careful with measurements and where to drill the hole for the strut.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It should be doable to retrofit , if VW would be selling the spare parts and you willing to pay the money ....lots of money probally

hey, what’s the lounge feature? :)

Looks like this
IMG_1382.JPG
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1424.JPG
IMG_1425.JPG

It looks a lot more complicated than I thought it would! Thanks for the pictures.

It looks a lot more complicated than I thought it would! Thanks for the pictures.

I think you can make something likewise on older Cali's by some DIY. Offcoarse not with the handlestrap but i'm sure it can work by putting it up manual .

If this "Lounge feature" is a standard item and not optional I'll never upgrade to the 6.1. I have the shelf permanently in the high position, so I can use the space under it to the max (using a boot drawer and industrial crates).

If this "Lounge feature" is a standard item and not optional I'll never upgrade to the 6.1. I have the shelf permanently in the high position, so I can use the space under it to the max (using a boot drawer and industrial crates).

I do agree , that lounge thing is only for people who travel without stuff in the rear , our rear shelf is used as storage also and boxes underneeth.
Those things just look good in the brochure .
In advertising you always see them carry a italian coffeemaker , a laptop and a swimsuit .....not much more lugagge ....yeah right ....thats how we all travel!
At Dusseldorf show all the salesmen told thesame story : imagine youself lounging here with the large opening in the front of the canvas open watching the stars....
If the weather is that good you could unzip that front canvas , i would sit outside to watch the stars ....but hey each there own.

I just see those new gadgets like the lounge bed a reason to try and convince people to buy or renew from older models to a T6.1. The California concept as it is , is totaly "milked out" imo they need to come with other stuff to convince me .

Totally agree - one of the benefits about the 6.0 design is the flexibility of going “high” or “low”.
People use their Calis in different ways, and for me this new “feature” is just a piece of bling that adds one thing that may get used by some owners but removes one of the very useful features of the base vehicle.

Ahh okay this thing! “Lounge feature” sounded a bit more sophisticated than tilting the bench :))
Seems a bit like the memojis or slowfies on the iphone :-D

Something else to fail, also will impede bulky stuff being pushed under, like muti boxes of fruit cider for the long European trips.

Last edited:
Anyone know if it can easily removed like the wire T6 type, because looking at the pics, it looks like it not built to take out.

Surely a couple of wooden lats will create the same effect on the old van....?

Anyone know if it can easily removed like the wire T6 type, because looking at the pics, it looks like it not built to take out.

The one I saw at the Düsseldorf show fell apart when someone tried to overate it so shouldn’t be a problem

Thanks Hotel California for posting the pictures, but I really wish I hadn't seen them as I'm on the verge of placing an order for a T6.1, and want to think the cost will bring positives. Really can't see this being of much use to us because we are always on the move, and hence the back is always full of stuff during the day, it's only something else to break as VW Drooper has seen. It also really looks like it is going to be much more difficult to remove, which would be a big negative to us.

Off Topic, I do notice that the new control panel still has a knob on it, let's hope it's been improved.

The one I saw at the Düsseldorf show fell apart when someone tried to overate it so shouldn’t be a problem
As said something else to fail, and I did not even see it as you did, I wish the boffins that design these features actually used them.

Well I think it looks pretty cool TBF
Not that I’ll ever be able to afford a 6.1 Lol

Never used the higher setting on our last California’s in 10 years so I think it’s a nice little extra.
as long as I can still get my boxes and the porta loo under there I’m happy ....even if it doesn’t get used Much .....
and if it brakes that’s why u have a warranty.
if something is going to brake on a California I think this little hinge set up is the last of your worries.we only ever put bedding on the back shelf

I do agree , that lounge thing is only for people who travel without stuff in the rear , our rear shelf is used as storage also and boxes underneeth.
Those things just look good in the brochure .
In advertising you always see them carry a italian coffeemaker , a laptop and a swimsuit .....not much more lugagge ....yeah right ....thats how we all travel!
At Dusseldorf show all the salesmen told thesame story : imagine youself lounging here with the large opening in the front of the canvas open watching the stars....
If the weather is that good you could unzip that front canvas , i would sit outside to watch the stars ....but hey each there own.

I just see those new gadgets like the lounge bed a reason to try and convince people to buy or renew from older models to a T6.1. The California concept as it is , is totaly "milked out" imo they need to come with other stuff to convince me .

Agree about the lounge, we already have plans for making the change, due to it will ruin our setup with the drawer and boxed. The whole system is heavy and much too bulky. And we would rarely use it. We found it nice on one occasion though, but then the car was almost empty. I will make a description of how we get along when the car is here … but there are so many nice new features in the T6.1 and I find it the biggest upgrade for a long time – so it would not stop me from ordering a T6.1

:)

I made struts out M8 stud bar so we could put the T6 shelf into a lounge position. Used it once in that position then never bothered after that. We would sooner remove the rear shelf (once on site) and push the rear seat right back having already moved the rail stops to allow this. This provides so much more cabin space
If the new T6.1 rear shelf is a fact to remove then for me I would sooner have the old design. It is not unusual for the last of the model face lifts to mess things up as the designers seems to run out of ideas and so begin to fix things that are not broken and in the process make it worse.

Back