Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T.6.1 Ocean Discover Media vs Discover Media Pro Option Differences

D

Dean Oldfield

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Does anyone know the main differences between Discover Media & Pro version? I can see the Pro is fully touch screen with no physical buttons and is a bigger screen but can't tell what the other differences are?

Does the Digital Cockpit behave different based on the on the version?

Dean if you look at the pictures of what I have posted on here that screen is the discover media pro screen.

Translated from the German marketing documents, but this may help regarding VW Connect that you can use to connect to your vehicle using your phone. Note the ‘theft warning’ system...

We Connect System
Breakdown call NEW
information call
parking position
Automatic accident notification NEW
vehicle status
Doors & lights
Vehicle condition report
Driving data
Service scheduling

We Connect Plus,
Online traffic information NEW
Online search for special destinations
Online map update NEW
Online voice control NEW
Media streaming NEW
Area notification
Online theft warning system
Online parking heater
Locking & unlocking
Web radio NEW
WLANHotspot NEW
Speed notification
Horn & flashing
Online route calculation
Petrol stations and charging stations
Parking spaces

And regarding the systems themselves, these are the differences (again using Google Translate)

"Discover Media" navigation system.
The system with a 20.3 cm (8-inch) color touch display including proximity sensors, 4x 20 watts of power and six loudspeakers offers hybrid navigation, a selection of various map options, free map updates via the Internet, 32GB media memory, two external USB and a Bluetooth interface, hybrid voice control and Internet radio. The system supports wireless AppConnect, We Connect and We Connect Plus

"Discover Pro" navigation system
In addition to the functions of the "Discover Media" navigation system, the system offers a 23.4 cm (9.2 inch) color touch display including proximity sensors, a simultaneous display of the navigation map on the digital cockpit8) and the Screen of the navigation system, 64GB media memory and DAB +.
Multi-function display "Premium". Displays important driving and vehicle information in 3D and in color.

Voice control. Control numerous telephone, navigation and audio functions via voice.

Mobile phone interface "Comfort" including inductive charging function. Improves reception and wirelessly charges the battery of compatible smartphones

Chose to take the Discover Pro Option purely for these two items
Area notification

With the phone App I should get a message if some one is trying to break-in or more likely has broke into the van and with area notification I should be able to locate the vehicles position (but I doubt acceptable to insurers) but also setup a geofence around the vehicle and be alerted if it moves out of it.

Last edited:
Chose to take the Discover Pro Option purely for these two items
Area notification

With the phone App I should get a message if some one is trying to break-in or more likely has broke into the van and with area notification I should be able to locate the vehicles position (tracking but I doubt acceptable to insurers) but also setup a geofence around the vehicle and be alerted if it moves out of it.
If those are only on the Pro we'll probably just order it too then, thanks for the info. Been discussing it for ages, I really like a physical volume button but the Pro looks much nicer. Future resale is a consideration too.

If those are only on the Pro we'll probably just order it too then, thanks for the info. Been discussing it for ages, I really like a physical volume button but the Pro looks much nicer. Future resale is a consideration too.

yes apparently so according to all bumph, the dealer didn’t know I told him. It is part of the WeConnect Plus package which you get with the Discover Pro only........ currently.

Nice one, cheers Wogga
Hopefully it should be good, it’s seems App and software related surprised it doesn’t work on the discover. But then again they need more than a bigger screen to sell the upgrade.

My son has a GTE Golf that is fitted with tracking as part of the infotainment system, I don't know exactly which spec but the car was stolen and the built in tracking system ensured that it was recovered by the police whilst parked 'cooling off'.

Does that help anyone to make a decision?

You have a physical volume button on the steering wheel, obviously no use to the passenger!

My son has a GTE Golf that is fitted with tracking as part of the infotainment system, I don't know exactly which spec but the car was stolen and the built in tracking system ensured that it was recovered by the police whilst parked 'cooling off'.

Does that help anyone to make a decision?
Excellent news to hear your son's car was recovered.

The system in our 6.1 Discover Pro does not have live tracking, it reports the parking location each time the ignition is turned off.

I have spec'd the Pro system but i'm a sucker for tech bling.

Excellent news to hear your son's car was recovered.

The system in our 6.1 Discover Pro does not have live tracking, it reports the parking location each time the ignition is turned off.
Which is a really good point.

prior to release, the marketing materials promised a number of features which are not seen on delivered vehicles. I guess if you still get an update each time it’s parked, then this is enough to keep track of its location.

Resurrecting the thread, has anyone ever managed to access the "64GB media memory" on the Pro version? Or indeed the 32gb on the standard version.

Nobody in VW seems to know or care so I'm assuming this is another item that was promised in the brochure but hasn't actually materialised yet?

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Resurrecting the thread, has anyone ever managed to access the "64GB media memory" on the Pro version? Or indeed the 32gb on the standard version.

Nobody in VW seems to know or care so I'm assuming this is another item that was promised in the brochure but hasn't actually materialised yet?

Not me. I have a type C USB stick in one of the sockets though.

Not me. I have a type C USB stick in one of the sockets though.
Yep - that or a phone.

I find if there's a lot of tracks on the usb stick it can take an age to load when turning on. Also, every time I get in the van, it seems to randomly decide whether to resume from where it left off, or start again from track #1 ...

Back