Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T.V's in Cali's

S

SlidePods

Guest User
T.V's in campervans divide people's opinions as much as marmite does. This is because almost all of us have bought our vans to travel and enjoy the great outdoors more. With the limited space available to us this means sacrificing some of homes creature comforts. Until recently I considered a T.V totally over the top to have in a van however this year I will be exhibiting at VW shows all over the country regularly and will be staying in our van whilst doing this (some nights it's bound to be raining), along with children that can watch it on long drives out to France I have decided to get one.
This has led to look deep into which T.V to go for, How to connect it to the power, where to mount it etc etc

I have come to the conclusion that (for us) the best solution is to go for a T.V that is not on a permenant bracket and can be stowed away safely in a hard case when not in use.

I will be installing a fused power supply and a boosted antenna (hidden behind the internal trim) with a CBE modular faceplate to keep things nice and neat.... (I might even look into linking to the vans speakers if I get time).

Our T.V of choice will be an Avtex L817DR because of its great picture, low power consumption and quality Case.

Which has got me wondering if I put a package together would anyone be interested on a similar install??
I could even do a kit with instructions for those brave enough to have a go themselves. :thumb

Interesting read but no one seems to have done the type of install we intend to do.
We would use one of these modular plates fitted discreetly to the B pillar on either the nearside or offside of the van (we can source the surrounds in loads of styles and colours)

12-v-tv-chrome-surround.jpg
We would then use a bracket that attaches to the headrest legs and the rear of the T.V.
This is by far the best one we have found as it splits into x2 parts and is rock solid when attached.

Here it is if you want to take a look.

Obviously in a cali you can put your T.V on the worktop but this solution works really well for beach owners and to allow rear passengers to watch it while driving.

Did you think about a tablet solution like ipad or similar?
We use one with an TV App(Willmaa or Zattoo). But I do not know if there's something like that abroad.

Or use one if these:
New eyeTV Mobile DTT TV Tuner [iPad 2/iPad 3/iPhone 4s] ?

With an tablet you could watch your fav movies and children could play some games...

Have a look at the 'FilmOn' App for live UK free streaming.....

In 2010 I had an Avtex TV fitted to my Cali. Used twice, as the days/hours simply zoom by when your travelling. I would not bother again.

I would agree with the tablet or laptop solution, you probably carry one anyway. With one of these or similar gadgets you can watch TV on any device via wifi, no internet connection needed.

I have also just purchased an Avtex L187DR and hard case but with an Avtex SCH3000 boosted digital aerial. We intend to use our new Cali all year round and with it getting dark at 4 O'clock at the moment, it makes for a very long evening. We won't be wanting to go to the pub or elsewhere every night and whilst I personally enjoy reading, I am usually asleep in minutes unless its a riveting good read. Mind you, the tv often has the same soporific effect but at least its a radio and dvd player as well. We have always liked a good period drama film and have a good selection of DVDs. The Lady in the Van might be appropriate when it comes out. There really isn't much on tv thats worth watching these days but we do like programes such as Country File and Downton Abbey. The whole outfit will be tossed over board when the days draw out and we start seeing a bit of sunshine again.

The aerial works quite well just hung up inside the pop top. So far I have only tested it and the whole package seems to works perfectly. It also has all of the radio stations and it will play music CDs as well. This robustly made set can be ordered with its own hard case and is designed for use in caravans, lorries and motor homes so will operate using 12v, 24v or mains 240v supply automatically without the need to switch between each power supply. It uses only a tiny amount of power to run so will not run down your leisure batteries too much. It also self tunes to your location at the touch of a single button on the remote control.

I am going to make up a removable 4mm thick sheet aluminium shelf which will fit neatly accross the front end of the roof aperture directly above the rear view mirror (only when the roof is open of course). It will incorporate a 10 mm strengthening up stand/lip on the rear facing edge (rear being facing the rear of the vehilcle) and a bracket to firmly hold the tv by its small base stand. The shelf will incorporate/sit on four rubber grommets to protect the paintwork and deaden any vibration. When finished the set will sit above the rear view mirror inside the roof and can therefore by viewed either from the rear seats or whilst lying in bed.

I personally do not want to permanently plumb the aerial and cable etc into the fabric of our Cali. It may not look as neat but I view this as a temporary arrangement until we can enjoy being outside again in decent weather.[/QUOTE]

Avtex aren't the only players in this game now and are a bit over the price top. It's worth checking out Cello and Fusion for competitive models. The Necvox mag mount aerial is also much better than the Avtex one.

The reviews for it don't look that good! (apart from yours).

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Watching the avtex now, have followed the tip in this thread and put my aerial up on the roof bed. Perfect picture here in St. Ives!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Have a look at the 'FilmOn' App for live UK free streaming.....

In 2010 I had an Avtex TV fitted to my Cali. Used twice, as the days/hours simply zoom by when your travelling. I would not bother again.
FilmOn working perfectly here in London, pitched up right under Crystal Palace TV mast. Some of the Motorhomes dependant on TV rather than SatTV have problems receiving TV because of the proximity of the mast. WiFi and FilmOn working perfectly. Thanks for the tip

We have used DVD players attached to the headrests but the wires are a pain and you can't use them with the front seats turned. They're a must on a long trip to stop "are we nearly there yet" from the kids. I'm now looking for a TV/DVD to attach on a bracket near the seatbelt, only just started looking though. Slide pod, any news on the smaller pod yet?

We have used DVD players attached to the headrests but the wires are a pain and you can't use them with the front seats turned. They're a must on a long trip to stop "are we nearly there yet" from the kids. I'm now looking for a TV/DVD to attach on a bracket near the seatbelt, only just started looking though. Slide pod, any news on the smaller pod yet?

Hi Dave, I'm afraid not currently I am flat out on other stuff including......
x2 RIB rock and roll bed Slidepod designs which are due to be launched early in 2016
the Kombi Slidepod development
X2 full Slidepod Beach style conversions due to launch in summer 2016
Sorting things out for all the 2016 exhibitions we are doing
etc etc

To be honest I feel that the compact pod is a bit limiting to the function of any van eg....
if you fit it to the nearside you can no longer swivel the passenger seat,
if you fit it to the offside you are right by the heater output vent, you can swivel the drivers seat (not such a big deal) and when the bed is down access through the sliding door is a nightmare.
Also when the bed is down you cannot access the cupboards of the pod.

It is not something I have completely written off for the future though.

We would also be interested in a pod to go behind the passenger seat similar to the Maxxcamp ones. The slide pod looks great but would not be very practical for us for various reasons plus we camp a lot in the winter and I dont fancy standing around the back of the van cooking dinner at minus temperatures.
Hope to see a small pod for 2016?

t6beach,
I agree, apart from maxxcamp every pod I have looked at is too big. Cooker a small sink and a bit of storage is all I want. The slidepod is great but with 3 kids I need all the room in the boot for kit not cooking! Thanks for the reply slidepod, I hoped you would do something like maxxcamp as as per you slidepod it's the only thing like that on the market. I won't get one as too much money for something without a uk supplier. Oh well time to put my very poor carpentry skills into action! Slidepod let me know if you have a change of mind please.

Oh well time to put my very poor carpentry skills into action! .

Perhaps design something you don't need to stand outside, with the doors open to the elements in order to use!

I am the same T6beach. The rear sliders are incredible, I've seen them in person and was very very tempted. However it just wouldn't suit my personal approach to camping in the van. For me a pod fixed to the rails in the living area is more suited to my personal style of camping especially as most of it is in the UK in all weathers and seasons. As I also sometimes carry camera gear I need my boot space to keep secured and out of view.

After seeing the great build quality, I may just hang on sourcing something, in the hope that he manages to find some time at some point in the future. I don't know how big the market is though and if its worthwhile for him.

Ive had TV in my old vans, but Im not sure where I would put it in a beach, so I use an ipad or a very tiny tv.

Perhaps carbon instead of MDF. Think of all that lovely weight you'd save

I know there are a lot of people that would love for us to do an internal pod and it is not an idea I have put to bed yet however its not something I would rush to bring to the market just because I thought it would sell well. Our rear Slidepods took an enormous amount of time to design, mock up, test, redesign, mock up test then finally put into production. Currently we are working on different versions of the Slidepod's to work with a couple of different kinds of rock and roll bed for conversions. After that we are hoping to bring out some of our own designs of fully converted vans running along the beach theme in both LWB and SWB. Lastly for 2016 we are going to release a fully converted version of the Caddy Maxi for those that want a smaller camper van.
This means that realistically we wouldn't be able to give an internal pod the time in the near future it would need to produce it to a standard that I would be happy to call a Slidepod.

I hoped you would do something like maxxcamp

I also like the maxxcamp system of pods the slidepods look well made and a good system however how we use the van in all weathers with rain often hissing down an internal cooker would be a must on our list. In the future a beach Cali could meet our needs if there was a pod system with internal hob that we could buy once then move on to a replacement van.

Lastly for 2016 we are going to release a fully converted version of the Caddy Maxi for those that want a smaller camper van.

Didn't VW discontinue their factory built Caddy Camper after just six months because they sold less than five in the UK?

they had one of those at cotf last year, never seen one since
VW-Caddy-camper-3-654.jpg

Back