Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Cali advice please

apatchee

apatchee

Vehicle
Looking to buy
So we've had our California for a month now and have loved every minute of using it.
Have a couple of questions I wouldn't mind some advice on.

Our speedo only reads KMH and was wondering if anyone has changed it for one that reads MPH?
It's not a massive issue but would like to know if it's possible.

Would like to fit roofbars/ roof rack to the Westfalia poptop to carry a roof box.
What are my options? Has anyone retro fitted any or is there any decent after market ones available?

Cheers guys

Fitting an mph speedo should just be a case of swapping the dash for a U.K. one.

Roof bars on the Westy usually fit the the factory roof rails, shirt sections of box extrusion, one at each corner. Research these first I would suggest.

Welcome aboard, rest assured you've bought the best van.

My speedometer has been changed from KMH to MPH at some point in the vans life - it does however now read 10MPH over the actual speed i'm doing. Slightly annoying but I can live with it!

IMG_1811.PNG I've seen these roof bars and rail system on eBay, bit more than I would like to spend but look decent.

I had a quick look at the parts listed in the link, but I also noticed that there is also a similar item listed for sale, what's the difference in them apart from the price?
Can't help with the speedo I'm afraid, but with the roof rack I still have some Thule roof bars from my old T4 van, which are readily available and was going to buy some of these adaptor brackets from poptop nl for the pop top:

https://www.poptopshop.nl/a-2444665...kdrager-steunen-voor-universele-allesdragers/

The only bit that scares me is drilling holes into the fiberglass poptop!

I had a quick look at the parts listed in the link, but I also noticed that there is also a similar item listed for sale, what's the difference in them apart from the price?

The main difference is how they are secured,
The rack system from eBay looks like it spreads the weight across the whole roof with two long brackets/rails which secure through the top of the pop top. Which I imagine makes the racks nice and rigid

The rack system from Poptop shop has brackets at the four corners and secures through the side of the pop top.

I guess with the eBay rack system you can position the roof bars where you like depending on how long your roof box or surf board is!

The side mounted system isn't the Westy method and looks naf to me.

Not a close up but this is the better solution. Much nicer for fixing the bars.

IMG_1083.JPG

This is what the previous owners did to fit roof-bars. I'm hoping to remove them and fit something the looks a bit better.
IMG_3115.JPG

Shouldn't be too hard!!

Not a close up but this is the better solution. Much nicer for fixing the bars.

View attachment 25215

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder and all that, personally I find them more unsightly than the side brackets, they also look like they could reduce the overall height clearance a tad.

I've not come across these before, am I right in saying that you need the specific Westy roof bars to attach to those supports? I can't see how the Thule bars could attach to them. Looks like they may be awkward to find.

I had another look at the poptop site but couldn't see the other brackets you were referring to? They had the side brackets listed, then the Thule Bars feet and then the actual bars themselves. Looking at your photo, you already have the Thule bars and feet like me, so the brackets on poptop.nl would be good alternative to what you have now and be the least hassle.

On Poptop's website I saw both of these.
First
Second
I've tried to translate the details but its difficult to understand the info from google translate.

The second link is just for the feet of the roof bars, the same ones you already have. The only thing you would need is the bracket in the first link.

The bracket they sell is just a much smaller and smarter version of the silver bracket you already have. The silver bracket on your roof seems to run the full length, but like with the poptop bracket, it only needs to sit directly under the feet of the bars.

The second link is just for the feet of the roof bars, the same ones you already have. The only thing you would need is the bracket in the first link.

The bracket they sell is just a much smaller and smarter version of the silver bracket you already have. The silver bracket on your roof seems to run the full length, but like with the poptop bracket, it only needs to sit directly under the feet of the bars.
Okay, now I understand the difference in the parts on the website. Yes very similar to the stainless gutters fitted to my Cali by the previous owner.
These brackets might be an option for me as I could use some of the holes drilled in the roof already!!

As Sidepod mentioned the Westfalia option is probably a good idea, especially if you wanted to use a Sherpa side-loading rack, however I'd be also concerned about raising the eight of the vehicle.

So I suppose its a difficult decision and it depends on what you want to achieve, for me its an easy option as I want to replace the already fitted side brackets. If I was fitting a system from scratch, I would consider the westfalia option.

I'm going to go for the rack system from eBay, bit on the pricey side, but like the fact the brackets are on the top of the roof and your can slide the bars closer or further apart!.
Also it's as close as you can get to the original Westy brackets but in modern design.
I've tried to find the original brackets from Vw but were long ago discontinued.

Another bit to add to the Xmas list!

Next question is to cover or not to cover!

With Autum/Winter fast approaching and my garage being big enough but the garage door being to low to fit my Westy under, Should I cover my bus up?

Have heard of the covers moving and rubbing on the paint work!!

What do you guys reckon??

I'll bet its dead easy to raise you door up if you look at it. You only need 2m clearance.

Failing that dig out a couple of tyre width trenches in the garage 80)

I hate to see vans outside!

I'll bet its dead easy to raise you door up if you look at it. You only need 2m clearance.

Failing that dig out a couple of tyre width trenches in the garage 80)

I hate to see vans outside!

Unfortunately not the Steel joist that spans the double door is only 75mm above the up and over door.

May look into covers as a option.

Hi all, I've removed the stainless steel roof bar brackets only to find lots of dirt and grime. After cleaning I found lots of bubbling of the paint.
My plan is to fit the roof bar brackets from poptop.nl and repair the paint that has been damaged by the stainless steel brackets.
However as these brackets only allow to roof bars to be fitted in one position, is there a optimum gap to leave between the bars? At the moment we dont have any plans to use the roof bars, but I want to be in a position to use them if we need to.
I suppose the biggest factor of the gap between the roof bars may be if we decide to fit a roof box, obviously the bars need to be under the roof box.

Do you mean gap between roof bars and roof or between roof bars?

I guess the height will depend on the brand of bars you buy.

Roof boxes are generally bolted from inside so the gap between roof and bar could be quite small. Again I guess it depends on box brand.

The distance between the two roof bars.

Hi all, any help or advice with this would be greatly appreciated, I’ve the new brackets bought and plan to get the roof repaired and the brackets fitted. Just don’t know how far apart the roof bars should be placed, as I don’t have a roof box yet.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back