Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 California Event fresh water tank removal

Hubble

Hubble

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi
I need to take the whole fresh water system apart to clean it. I wish I didn't have to but that's the only option, it's just too full of sludge. I only have one remaining bolt to undo, one of the 3 bolts that fix the tank from underneath. This last bolt is just spinning around as though whatever it's bolted to on the other side has come loose. Anyone any ideas? Nightmare.

Hold it with a spanner. Centre pop it on the head and drill it out.

Hi
I need to take the whole fresh water system apart to clean it. I wish I didn't have to but that's the only option, it's just too full of sludge. I only have one remaining bolt to undo, one of the 3 bolts that fix the tank from underneath. This last bolt is just spinning around as though whatever it's bolted to on the other side has come loose. Anyone any ideas? Nightmare.
Crikey. All sounds a bit serious. I guess you're referring to the bolt (10) in this diagram? From what I can tell it's a coaching bolt - the type with a rounded head and squared shoulders that ordinarily hold it in place while being fastened. Dunno if you've access to a 'spare pair of hands' but they may be able to provide enough friction (read jamming it with a screwdriver) to hold it in place so it can be undone. Soaking the nut in WD40 for a night beforehand might help things along too.

Thanks for the replies
@Mr Cheesborough
That's not the system I've got. I've got this one:
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...070/subcategory/350010/part_id/3706723/lang/e
the bolt in question is part number 36.
There are actually 3 of these. I guess there must be a nut attached to the plastic water tank which these bolt into and it's that which is spinning. I can't see though so this is only a guess and it's not clear from the diagram. I wouldn't have thought these screw straight into plastic.
Sidepod's suggestion might sound drastic but I think he might be right.

Thanks for the replies
@Mr Cheesborough
That's not the system I've got. I've got this one:
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...070/subcategory/350010/part_id/3706723/lang/e
the bolt in question is part number 36.
There are actually 3 of these. I guess there must be a nut attached to the plastic water tank which these bolt into and it's that which is spinning. I can't see though so this is only a guess and it's not clear from the diagram. I wouldn't have thought these screw straight into plastic.
Sidepod's suggestion might sound drastic but I think he might be right.
Apologies. It dawned on me after I'd posted my suggestion that you had a 2003. You've got me intrigued. The diagram isn't all that clear so I'm almost tempted to remove our tank out of curiosity.

Apologies. It dawned on me after I'd posted my suggestion that you had a 2003. You've got me intrigued. The diagram isn't all that clear so I'm almost tempted to remove our tank out of curiosity.
Or how about you come and remove mine? Arf.

Back