Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Headlights

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all, as the winter approaches I'm thinking about trying to upgrade my headlights, from my initial searches, I've been reading about some T4 owners using an aftermarket wiring loom to supply power directly from the battery to the headlights. This is due to a voltage drop in the standard loom.
It sounds like a good idea, especially if the bulbs are upgraded to something like Osram Night Breaker Unlimited H4 Bulbs or Philips X-Treme Vision H4 Bulbs.
Has anyone done this upgrade yet?

Yes, all straightforward, comes with the uprated cabling and relays, a big improvement and well worth the money.
If only the T6 lights could be fixed so easily (and cheaply)!

Yes, all straightforward, comes with the uprated cabling and relays, a big improvement and well worth the money.
If only the T6 lights could be fixed so easily (and cheaply)!
Change the bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers or Phillips 130 or 150.:thumb

Hi all, as the winter approaches I'm thinking about trying to upgrade my headlights, from my initial searches, I've been reading about some T4 owners using an aftermarket wiring loom to supply power directly from the battery to the headlights. This is due to a voltage drop in the standard loom.
It sounds like a good idea, especially if the bulbs are upgraded to something like Osram Night Breaker Unlimited H4 Bulbs or Philips X-Treme Vision H4 Bulbs.
Has anyone done this upgrade yet?
Make sure you get a wiring loom with 2 or 4 relays.

Cheers for the tips, what is the advantage of one with four relays as opposed to two?
A relay for each light, i.e.: L main beam, L low beam, R main beam etc:.
Also fuses for at least Main and Low beam circuits. Basically so you don't lose all lights if a relay or fuse blows.

A relay for each light, i.e.: L main beam, L low beam, R main beam etc:.
Also fuses for at least Main and Low beam circuits. Basically so you don't lose all lights if a relay or fuse blows.
Okay, that make sense, Great advice too. I'll make sure to loom I buy has the four relays and fuses.

Two change over relays. Low beam in shelf state , main beam when switched.

Or

IMG_2715.JPG

Audi A4 Xenon.

Well I've had them out and redone most of it.

Get the parts (lamps and control gear) and cobble together the wiring etc.

Not for the fair hearted but well worth the effort.

Well I've had them out and redone most of it.

Get the parts (lamps and control gear) and cobble together the wiring etc.

Not for the fair hearted but well worth the effort.
What year of A4 are the lights from?
Is it true that some sort of leveling system is needed for them?
Is the wiring much different, obviously not plug and play?

I don't think I'm bothered about the amount of work involved in the bi-xenon at the moment as I don't know exactly what parts are needed and I haven't found much info online,
I'm gonna go with the upgraded wiring loom and upgraded bulbs. I'll try one winter on those first.

There is nothing wrong with long nose headlights better than most cars with h4 and h1 bulbs ,just buy rhd ones if you drive on the left side and fit better bulbs but not cheap or xenon effect.

LHD headlights.
If you’re thinking of converting to RHD headlights and you’ve got Valeo lamps fitted you can just buy a set of RHD lenses from your local dealership. I had to replace one recently - stone chip - and it was around £48. They clip on and off the lamp unit pretty easily too. And as said already a set of decent quality bulbs will go some way to improving nighttime visibility no end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I've just checked my standard lights, and the voltage seems fine, I had the engine running and checked the hi & low beam, both reading 14 volts.
With this information I don't think that I need to buy to upgrade loom to improve light performance, however it may be a worthwhile upgrade due to it having individual fuse and relay for each bulb and high/low beam. This might save a lot of hassle some dark night in a foreign country.
I'm still planning on trying Osram Nightbreaker bulbs

Back